What do I need to do to run 33s on my TJ?

Wrangler2158

I have a 2006 wrangler 4.0. I have 31" on it right now but I want to put on 33's. What do I have to do to make that work for on and off road? I'm very new but I'm hoping this forum will help tremendously

I have a 2006 wrangler 4.0. I have 31" on it right now but I want to put on 33's. What do I have to do to make that work for on and off road? I'm very new but I'm hoping this forum will help tremendously
At a minimum you will need a 2.5 inch suspension lift coupled with a 1 inch body lift and 1 inch motor mount lift, completely doable within your budget.

Keep saving your money so you can afford a quality lift and tires.
"Wheeling" what kind of off road 4 wheel driving will you be doing?

Reactions: Daryl
Do you want more ground clearance, or do you just like the bigger tire look? Sacrifices will be made going with a bigger tire.

What type of terrain are you going to be driving on? Mostly hwy? Rocks? A bit of both?
Mostly just town driving but some mud and trails
Do you want more ground clearance, or do you just like the bigger tire look? Sacrifices will be made going with a bigger tire.
Mainly just the bigger tire look to be honest but also want something beefy and big enough to go off roading.

I've got the Zone 4.25" combo lift on mine with 285/75-16 tires, basically a metric 33". Depending on which tires you choose, you could probably stay around $1600. You should be able to run 33's with a three inch lift also. I just plan on adding a tummy tuck someday, so I opted for a lift that utilized a body lift.
I'm happy with the lift, but my ride is kind of rough due to the E-rated BFG KM3 mud tires I got. A C-rated tire will ride nicer.

that is my budget for wheels and tires I don't really want to do a lift if possible because i want to keep my center of gravity as low as possible....
New Jeepers tend to worry too much about their center-of-gravity. The COGs are fine with commonly installed lift heights, especially since the aftermarket wheels/spacers required with bigger-wider tires widens the wheelbase.

This guy I've wheeled with is tipped WAY over but his TJ still didn't roll or tip over. :)

Jon in Johnson Valley.JPG

New Jeepers tend to worry too much about their center-of-gravity. The COGs are fine with commonly installed lift heights, especially since the aftermarket wheels/spacers required with bigger-wider tires widens the wheelbase.

This guy I've wheeled with is tipped WAY over but his TJ still didn't roll or tip over. :)

View attachment 72905

I tend to agree that the LCOG thing has gotten out of hand. But it is important to remember that rolling sideways is one thing and rolling backwards is another. Trying to climb up walls in Moab with 4"+ of lift would not be fun. I saw a guy a few years ago on Poison Spider, with what looked to be a 5.5 RE long arm and 37's, get saved by his spare tire carrier. I drove my TJ on 33's and a 3" lift up the same climb with no drama. Have to build different Jeeps for different wheeling scenarios.

To the OP, I'd probably get a 4.25 Zone combo. Seems like it would work fairly well for your needs.

I tend to agree that the LCOG thing has gotten out of hand. But it is important to remember that rolling sideways is one thing and rolling backwards is another. Trying to climb up walls in Moab with 4"+ of lift would not be fun. I saw a guy a few years ago on Poison Spider, with what looked to be a 5.5 RE long arm and 37's, get saved by his spare tire carrier. I drove my TJ on 33's and a 3" lift up the same climb with no drama. Have to build different Jeeps for different wheeling scenarios.
Such examples are the exception and not typical or common for Joe-typical offroader.

Which examples? The 5.5" lift height or the steep climb? Climbing steeps things is pretty much the only wheeling I do.
Great, your "climbing steep things is pretty much the only wheeling (you) do" is not typical or average. Remember I said "Joe-typical offroader". :)

Great, your "climbing steep things is pretty much the only wheeling (you) do" is not typical or average. Remember I said "Joe-typical offroader". :)

I don't know about that. Every time I've been to Moab, there seems to be plenty of Jeeps around climbing up stuff ;). I will agree that LCOG or not depends on what you're trying to do with the Jeep. If you're just trail riding, COG doesn't matter all that much. If you want to go run Devil's Hot Tub in Moab, you better worry about how high your Jeep is.

Reactions: BadaBing0405