What do I need to put 1-ton axles on my 99 TJ?

I have a king pin 60 from a late 90’s f350 in my back yard, and it’s still not a priority to put one under my LJ because it’s too much work.

It's either not a late 90's or not a kingpin Dana 60 - since the last OEM kingpin put in a F350 was 91.5 :)

I do still keep my eye out for a 78-79 kingpin Dana 60, though I have zero expectation of ever finding one in a junkyard or on Marketplace/CL for a reasonable price. They're about as easy as you can get for Jeep YJ/TJ in terms of width and pumpkin location. With some readily available GM knuckles (which eliminates the Ford knuckles, which were indeed failure prone and gets rid of the awful Ford 2-piston calipers) and CM shafts, they're fairly beefy under a sub-5000 lb Jeep. Coupled with something like an E350 D60HD rear (which is easily converted to 35-spline without having to bore the spindles. has a workable WMS width compared to the SD axles, and gives you near the same ground clearance as a Ford 8.8), it could be one of the few combos that works well specifically with 37" tires at or near factory LJ wheelbase, in a very stout and easy-to-service package that would almost never see a trail-side failure.

Of course, should I not be able to locate a 78-79 housing, I'll just order what I need. I have some time for this, as I'm going to start working on the Hemi swap once I get my boat wrapped up this spring (already found a 4x4 TH727 that I'm picking up next week).

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
It's either not a late 90's or not a kingpin Dana 60 - since the last OEM kingpin put in a F350 was 91.5 :)

I do still keep my eye out for a 78-79 kingpin Dana 60, though I have zero expectation of ever finding one in a junkyard or on Marketplace/CL for a reasonable price. They're about as easy as you can get for Jeep YJ/TJ in terms of width and pumpkin location. With some readily available GM knuckles (which eliminates the Ford knuckles, which were indeed failure prone and gets rid of the awful Ford 2-piston calipers) and CM shafts, they're fairly beefy under a sub-5000 lb Jeep. Coupled with something like an E350 D60HD rear (which is easily converted to 35-spline without having to bore the spindles. has a workable WMS width compared to the SD axles, and gives you near the same ground clearance as a Ford 8.8), it could be one of the few combos that works well specifically with 37" tires at or near factory LJ wheelbase, in a very stout and easy-to-service package that would almost never see a trail-side failure.

Of course, should I not be able to locate a 78-79 housing, I'll just order what I need. I have some time for this, as I'm going to start working on the Hemi swap once I get my boat wrapped up this spring (already found a 4x4 TH727 that I'm picking up next week).

Heck I'd be happy to find any Dana 60 up here for a reasonable amount. If they aren't a POS they go for $4K + and if they are a POS they are still $1200-1500 and then need tons of work and funds.

I'm to the point I'd rather just buy the housing and build it myself.

I'm always jealous of people that spend needless money on Jeeps that don't need the mods for what they use them for. :cool:
p.s. I bent my cheap ass tie rod and could use a "less bent" stronger one. I had to put the stock one back on. I looked at the wife's WJ and that thing is twice the diameter and it's a 4.0L. I wonder if it's hollow too. I was going to swap them and not tell her. Not an issue since I get stuck paying for everything anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and John Cooper
I'm always jealous of people that spend needless money on Jeeps that don't need the mods for what they use them for. :cool:
p.s. I bent my cheap ass tie rod and could use a "less bent" stronger one. I had to put the stock one back on. I looked at the wife's WJ and that thing is twice the diameter and it's a 4.0L. I wonder if it's hollow too. I was going to swap them and not tell her. Not an issue since I get stuck paying for everything anyway.

I bought this one last winter after I bent the stock one on my '03. The bars are not hollow, and it fit fine. Also, not terribly expensive.

• Love
Reactions: John Cooper