What do I need to put 1-ton axles on my 99 TJ?

Infantryman91

I just bought 1 ton axles for my 99 jeep tj. Just wondering if anyone had any issues installing them and any special parts I need to get.

Screenshot_20221109-120349_Facebook.jpg

I just bought 1 ton axles for my 99 jeep tj. Just wondering if anyone had any issues installing them and any special parts I need to get.

View attachment 375257

That is a LOADED question. I'd suggest you go to the members build section and read thru some of the people who have put 1 tons under their rigs. There is more than one way to do it, but you'll need the proper brackets and assorted parts. As Chris asked the first things is what size tires are you planning on running?
Next is are you going to run coil spring or upgrade to coilover shocks? Are you going to stretch your wheelbase? And if yes how much?

Reactions: DougyintheBushies
I will be in Elko in a few weeks, work out there at a ranch east of town, I picked up a f350 king pin 60 myself from there, more projects than I can’t get done. Good luck

Reactions: Wildman
Barnes makes weld on brackets. Others do too.

You're going to need to grind off the Ford stuff and heat em up and weld on brackets.

Regear to something appropriate depending on your desired tire size and transmission.

Then you'll need to build suspension links... probably not to the stock brackets.

YouTube has some videos.

This isn't an easy swap. Lots and lots of issues to overcome.

-Mac

View attachment 375257

Don't get sucked into trusses. Those axles came out from under a vehicle where the weight rating on each axle is more than your whole rig. They are more than plenty strong enough to live under a TJ.

A bunch of what you have to do depends on how it is set up now. It would be rare to do that much work slinging those axles under a rig and keep an aftermarket short arm suspension. That means you are likely going to be building some suspension at the same time you're putting brackets and mounts under the rig. Please avoid copying that steering. It sucks, you don't want it.

This is going to be a problem. You have to get a spring perch in there. If you don't remove some of that spring perch, you will be adding at least 3/4" lift to whatever your springs normally give you.
1668087660514.png

Just a heads up, that's a "7/8-ton" front axle... Ford used D50's from 1999-2002 on everything SRW. They aren't bad axles and I've seen a handful hold up to some abuse on XJ's, but they have limited aftermarket support.

With that, as Blaine said, you'll need to trim the spring perch on the driver's side. Generally, most people trim back about 2" and then smooth over the remainder of the mount with some grinders and flap disks.

Reactions: Wildman
Just a heads up, that's a "7/8-ton" front axle... Ford used D50's from 1999-2002 on everything SRW. They aren't bad axles and I've seen a handful hold up to some abuse on XJ's, but they have limited aftermarket support.

With that, as Blaine said, you'll need to trim the spring perch on the driver's side. Generally, most people trim back about 2" and then smooth over the remainder of the mount with some grinders and flap disks.

And the 50 doesn’t have the same options as a 60, less lockers or gears…

If you don’t weld I hope you have some deep pockets. All the suspension has to be changed. Whole lot of work. It’s not a easy job. Depending on how you work it might take months.