What do I need to run 35s on a 2005 LJ non-Rubicon?

ObedaTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Okay so for my birthday last week my brother gifted me with a 5.13s pinion and gears with master overhaul kits for my 2005 LJ. I got a dana 30 in the front and dana 44 in the back. The Jeep is mostly used for regular driving, some trails, no crawling, no rocks. Sometimes light mudding. Snow obviously.

A local shop near me that focuses on Wranglers and off-road vehicles quoted me 1000$ to install. While a regular local mechanic near me said he'll do it for 400 I think I might go with the off-road shop due to their reputation. Now my question to you guys is will I need anything else? I am planning on running 35s on this thing, a lot of people told me to do 4.88 and a lot said 5.13. I have an auto with the annoying 42rle and I already have these 5.13s so I don't feel like going through more trouble to get 4.88s. As far as axles go, will I be fine or will I need more shit to run 35s comfortably?

Also I am running a 2.5 oldman EMU lift, which I will be swapping for a 3.5" in lift soon, going with metalcloak fenders front and rear as well. No body lift.

Last edited:
Axles will be fine with 35's, you'll only need a stronger replacement tie rod. 35's will easily bend the skinny hollow factory tie rod. If you can afford it it's real hard to beat the bolt-on RockJock HD steering kit which also includes a stronger drag link and beefier tie rod ends.

Reactions: ObedaTJ
You are definitely better off with 5.13. Most people will agree that even that is not enough gear, but it's better than what you have and the best you can do, so there isn't much else to it. You might consider sticking with 33's long term as a more practical choice that works better with the gearing, although that is totally up to you.

Wheel it and see what it needs. If you bust a front shaft, go with chromoly axle shafts. The rear axle will probably safe as is or at least for a while. If you bust it then put in a set of Revolution axle shafts or similar.

if you need better braking or steering (and you probably will), the RockJock Currectlync and Black Magic Big brake Kits are the way to go to address those.

Last edited:
Axles will be fine with 35's, you'll only need a stronger replacement tie rod. 35's will easily bend the skinny hollow factory tie rod. If you can afford it it's real hard to beat the bolt-on RockJock HD steering kit which also includes a stronger drag link and beefier tie rod ends.
Thanks for your input! I will go ahead and order that kit, looks good. Not too bad for 600$ if it'll hold up. The rough country kit is only 300ish dollars so I might as well buy once cry later right

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
You are definitely better off with 5.13. Most people will agree that even that is not enough gear, but it's better than what you have and the best you can do, so there isn't much else to it. You might consider sticking with 33's long term as a more practical choice that works better with the gearing, although that is totally up to you.

Wheel it and see what it needs. If you bust a front shaft, go with chromoly axle shafts. The rear axle will probably safe as is or at least for a while. If you bust it then put in a set of Revolution axle shafts or similar.

if you need better braking or steering (and you probably will), the RockJock Currectlync and Black Magic Big brake Kits are the way to go to address those.
Yeah I am running 33s but I feel like they look so small on the LJ. Will I absolutely need new brakes? I just put new ones in front and rear two weeks ago lol

Yeah I am running 33s but I feel like they look so small on the LJ. Will I absolutely need new brakes? I just put new ones in front and rear two weeks ago lol
I get it. Since you are used to 33/3.73, 35/5.13 will feel a lot better, so you may be just fine with that setup.

For the brakes, I won't say you absolutely need them, but could highly benefit from them. Really can't answer whether or not you need them until after installing the tires. The main metric of brake performance is whether or not you are able to lock up the tires at speed a few times in a row. If you can't, then it's hard to figure out how much braking power you're lacking, all you know at that point is that your brakes are not working as well as they should and might need to be upgraded.

Thanks for your input! I will go ahead and order that kit, looks good. Not too bad for 600$ if it'll hold up. The rough country kit is only 300ish dollars so I might as well buy once cry later right
The RockJock kit is, by far, the most common recommendation for TJs doing tougher trails or 35" tires, it's BEEFY. Throw away your Rough Country catalog, they don't get a whole lot of respect among more experienced Jeepers. And that's being polite. :ROFLMAO:

You can get by with the ZJ V8 tie rod upgrade for less than $100 if you don't want to spend the money on the Currie Currectlync. Brakes are a different issue. mrblaine, owner of Black Magic Brakes, will tell you himself that every TJ is different. If you feel you can safely stop with 35s in an emergency, you may be fine with the pads you have. If not, Black Magic Brakes pads are the next step. After that it's a full Vanco/Black Magic Brakes big brake kit.
The rough country kit is only 300ish dollars so I might as well buy once cry later right
What Rough Country kit?

Last edited:
I get it. Since you are used to 33/4.10, 35/5.13 will feel a lot better, so you may be just fine with that setup.

For the brakes, I won't say you absolutely need them, but could highly benefit from them. Really can't answer whether or not you need them until after installing the tires. The main metric of brake performance is whether or not you are able to lock up the tires at speed a few times in a row. If you can't, then it's hard to figure out how much braking power you're lacking, all you know at that point is that your brakes are not working as well as they should and might need to be upgraded.
Oh no I wish I was 4.10 right now.... I am actually on 3.73 :poop:

You can get by with the ZJ V8 tie rod upgrade for less than $100 if you don't want to spend the money on the Currie Currectlync. Brakes are a different issue. mrblaine, owner of Black Magic Brakes, will tell you himself that every TJ is different. If you feel you can safely stop in an emergency, you may be fine with the pads you have. If not, Black Magic Brakes pads are the next step. After that it's a full Vanco/Black Magic Brakes big brake kit.

What Rough Country kit?
https://www.extremeterrain.com/roug...eering-upgrade-kit-for-4-inch-lift-10613.html

The RockJock kit is, by far, the most common recommendation for TJs doing tougher trails or 35" tires, it's BEEFY. Throw away your Rough Country catalog, they don't get a whole lot of respect among more experienced Jeepers. And that's being polite. :ROFLMAO:
Haha good to know! I was actually looking at their lift kit, not anymore though don't worry

• Love
Reactions: Jerry Bransford