What do you do for a day job?

I'll be starting as a trader at a professional trading firm in Chicago very soon. The options and futures markets that started in Chicago are very interesting and the amount of math / tech that goes into trading derivatives effectively is second to very few other industries. I don't like project work very much so being a trader where you are constantly reacting to whats going on in the market suits me well.

That sounds fun. Do you mess with those crazy 5 axis arm thingies?
My company messes with all sorts of different axis robots from the comapany Fanuc. The way our robot engineers can make those things move can be amazing sometimes. We recently had a larger system with the Fanuc "spider" robots. What a absolute pain in the a$$ those are lol
FANUC_M-2iA_6H_cutout.png

Oh yeah? What part, is he in FtW?

I don't know what part, he is in FtW. My sister works for a company that handles supplies at Raytheon, but has also supplied the cribs at LM.

It was cool in the 70s to go by and see the Peacemaker that was on display when it was Carswell AFB. I also liked watching the F16s which seemed to always be in the air.

Reactions: qslim
Retired military after 23 years.

Now I run a few machines for Becton Dickinson (BD) that takes a bunch of components and makes these Eclipse blood collection needles. Working on my second retirement.

My wife is a RN.

13E6DE50-E1CB-4748-9FD3-DF117BBCA73F.jpeg

I am an ecologist for a small consulting/design/build firm (12 people). Our big projects involve river restorations and other water resource projects. Smaller projects include environmental regulatory projects; wildlife surveys, smaller wetlands work, etc...

One of the cooler projects I am working on is the San Miguel River in Telluride, CO. It runs along the valley floor and during the old mining days was flushed with mine tailings, leaving huge heavy metal deposits and poor fish habitat. The river was also modified to run in a long and straight stretch to allow for mining operations. The operations have long been gone. We are cutting a new channel, away from the metals, bringing the river back to a natural shape, and re-vegetating the site.

In past consulting jobs I performed a lot of regulatory permit work for cell tower construction as well as reclamation efforts/monitoring for oil and gas sites.
Working with Rich Estes In Telluride by chance?

Retired military after 23 years.

Now I run a few machines for Becton Dickinson (BD) that takes a bunch of components and makes these Eclipse blood collection needles. Working on my second retirement.

View attachment 180400

You miss loading? I had a blast doing it. I was only active 4 years a Eglin, got to load a lot of interesting crap though for the 46th test wing. 16's, 15's, & A-10s. Now that the 35 came around I'm not on the flightline anymore, but from what I can see there's a LOT of learning to be had on these new systems. The gun in particular.

I’m a software engineer by day and small business owner all the time. My background and day to day is all finance (I used to be a trader and financial advisor).

At my 9-5 my team and I build a trading platform for cryptocurrencies and a lot of algorithmic trading systems that operate 24/7/365 since the crypto markets don’t sleep.

My side business is a whitelabeled platform for companies to raise capital from our growing crowd of investors.

Reactions: taylormade73
engine builder / Crew Chief on NHRA Top Dragster ... ... ehh it gets me out of the house ...bout to retire from my boring job as a high pressure natural gas Millwright ...

Which team? A friend of mine traveled with Jim Eppler around 1999. I spent a lot of time spectating at the Motorplex including the first day. Darrell Gwynn went a 5.28? off the trailer when the record was like a 5.43? I made a few passes there in my "street car", smooth as glass.

I’m a software engineer by day and small business owner all the time. My background and day to day is all finance (I used to be a trader and financial advisor).

At my 9-5 my team and I build a trading platform for cryptocurrencies and a lot of algorithmic trading systems that operate 24/7/365 since the crypto markets don’t sleep.

My side business is a whitelabeled platform for companies to raise capital from our growing crowd of investors.

A lot of the prop trading firms in Chicago have started looking at / quoting crypto. I worked on a project this winter that had to do with trading crypto futures. Right now I’m at an algo trading firm that mostly looks at commodity and rate futures but might hop into crypto at some point. I’m always surprised how tight people are able to quote it considering how fast it can run you over.

I bought bitcoin for to buy a fake ID when I to college. That stupid thing is worth around $1500 at today’s value 🙁

A lot of the prop trading firms in Chicago have started looking at / quoting crypto. I worked on a project this winter that had to do with trading crypto futures. Right now I’m at an algo trading firm that mostly looks at commodity and rate futures but might hop into crypto at some point. I’m always surprised how tight people are able to quote it considering how fast it can run you over.

I bought bitcoin for to buy a fake ID when I to college. That stupid thing is worth around $1500 at today’s value 🙁

A few of the prop firms in Chicago use the previous platform I built and sold last year. A coworker also came from a different futures desk in Chicago to the current company to break into crypto too.

Finance is a fun spot right now, even if crypto goes nowhere - it’s impacted a lot of tooling in the space.

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
Retired electronics/computer/IT tech/sometime-engineer/programmer. Belly Dancer by nite, although that has pretty much dried up in recent months thanx to the Covid hysteria.

Lots of hobbies though, some of them expensive!