What do you drive besides your Jeep?

They're generally called "longtail cargo bikes," and this particular one is a Big Dummy built by a company called Surly. You can also get a version that just replaces the wheel on a regular bike. They're typically used for carrying things that wouldn't fit on a normal bike, and so far I've hauled:

-Two weeks worth of groceries
-My girlfriend
-A 5-year-old
-My girlfriend and a 5-year-old simultaneously
-A large pizza
-Another bike
-320lb of Quickcrete
-A 36" chainsaw (with gas can and bucket of wedges)
-Guns

There are people out there who are a lot more creative, but a lot of folks use it for groceries and kids. I generally use it to commute to work, and for things that are A) close enough to bike to and B) will fit. Why drive when I can bike? There is literally no downside.

Reactions: reddvltj and Cheesy
The Extracycle came to mind when I saw it.
I don’t ride as much as I used to but still have something like 17 bikes. I became a remote employee after my company relocated out of state, so no office to commute to. I moved to the sticks, so nothing is convenient to bike to. Throw in my age, three knee surgeries, a foot rebuild, getting whacked by a car, and cycling has kind of lost its shine for me. Got some great memories over the last 60 years, though.

In the same vein as ”Why drive when I can bike”, my motorcycle sidecar sees a lot of duty as a mini pick up. “Why fire up eight cylinders when two will do”. 😉

Reactions: reddvltj
The Extracycle came to mind when I saw it.
I don’t ride as much as I used to but still have something like 17 bikes. I became a remote employee after my company relocated out of state, so no office to commute to. I moved to the sticks, so nothing is convenient to bike to. Throw in my age, three knee surgeries, a foot rebuild, getting whacked by a car, and cycling has kind of lost its shine for me. Got some great memories over the last 60 years, though.

In the same vein as ”Why drive when I can bike”, my motorcycle sidecar sees a lot of duty as a mini pick up. “Why fire up eight cylinders when two will do”. 😉

WHY NOT ??

:rolleyes: I can see an electric jeep in your future - Won't need to fire anything up - just plug it in & FRUGALIZE ;)
Thanks for the explanation though, most appreciated.

I just picked this up last Thursday. Selling my 2015 Tacoma. Decided I didn't really need a truck and this is much more fun as a DD. Complements the Jeep well.

20200315_201531.jpg

Reactions: Kiwi TJ