What do you guys think about this TJ?

Fizzypine

I’m looking to buy a TJ. I used to have a 2010 jku and I enjoyed it but I had to sell it, I like tj’s more so that’s why I’m here haha. I found this 2005 TJ rubicon for sale near me and have attached some pictures. Do you guys think this is a good purchase for 13k? Seems like a good price based off of other listings and I don’t see any rust on the frame or body. It supposedly has a 4.5 inch rubicon express lift and brand new soft top according to the seller. I’m going to meet with the guy Sunday to view it in person, test drive it and such

ECD17A55-94D3-46C2-947D-75BBDEDC9C5E.png

2053DA33-2493-4B32-A3EE-033928913340.png

A9C7CA00-D88C-400B-93E9-B81F3F79EDFB.png

BE3CD87F-AC4E-47CA-8C80-B6309878104E.png

9A816508-C5F1-40C0-A5EA-F9999D790B52.png

0625CC30-8402-4642-BC42-DDCEAF65E20C.png

63996B99-2AB2-4F5E-B6DF-EB2A9C82DF19.png

5C470FB5-DC0A-43D8-B133-09E160B28DE4.png

9383C77E-5A13-44D2-97AF-F7C5FF5BB32B.png

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
It doesn't look bad, but buyer beware. This looks like someone is flipping it. At a minimum, assuming it's rust free, you'll want to verify the 6th VIN digit is a #6. Verify if it has a clean title, and check to ensure the Rubicon parts are there.

For 13k I’m almost certain something is wrong with it. That should be more like 18-20k.

I need to see more photos of the underside.
For 13k I’m almost certain something is wrong with it. That should be more like 18-20k.

I need to see more photos of the underside.
Yeah I’m waiting on him to send me more pictures of the undercarriage

Reactions: Chris
It doesn't look bad, but buyer beware. This looks like someone is flipping it. At a minimum, assuming it's rust free, you'll want to verify the 6th VIN digit is a #6. Verify if it has a clean title, and check to ensure the Rubicon parts are there.
I asked him for the vin and more pictures of the underside so I can check the vin.

Reactions: Irun and Nickgsjeep
Frame rust if very common and can be difficult to see if you don't know what to look for. If you personally don't know exactly what to look for then find somebody to go with you that does. I wouldn't bet on photos, you need to bang on things to see if it is solid. If it has the switches on the dash it's a Rubicon, I wouldn't worry about that. This price is good for a TJ so it's not like it matters if those craptastic Dana 44 lockers are there.

Frame rust if very common and can be difficult to see if you don't know what to look for. If you personally don't know exactly what to look for then find somebody to go with you that does. I wouldn't bet on photos, you need to bang on things to see if it is solid. If it has the switches on the dash it's a Rubicon, I wouldn't worry about that. This price is good for a TJ so it's not like it matters if those craptastic Dana 44 lockers are there.
Yeah I’ll bring one of my hammers with me from work and a good screwdriver so I can get up under there and poke and bang.

If it has the switches on the dash it's a Rubicon, I wouldn't worry about that.
Mine had a Rubicon switch. A Rubicon it is not. ;)

20210613_112131-jpg.jpg

If you personally don't know exactly what to look for then find somebody to go with you that does.
This is very good advice! (y)

I was willing to go look at it last night or tonight but the guy said he wasn’t available until this weekend and sadly I work Saturday.
good luck, i'd be sick Saturday. 😷 i think it's possible you've been exposed to the Chiner flu ! you might need to self quarantine for 2 weeks, but dont be stupid and drive to work in the new jeep when you go back to work !

Mine had a Rubicon switch. A Rubicon it is not. ;)

View attachment 270167

This is very good advice! (y)
good luck, i'd be sick Saturday. 😷 i think it's possible you've been exposed to the Chiner flu ! you might need to self quarantine for 2 weeks, but dont be stupid and drive to work in the new jeep when you go back to work !
Haha I would if I didn’t start my new job only 2 months ago

Reactions: Irun
I'm in the Warrenton area. Not far from you!
Oh nice! Not far at all I’m actually in bristow area. This Jeep is in Winchester not far from us, you have any interest in tagging along to look at it? I may be a mechanic but I work on heavy equipment, I don’t know too much about tj’s besides what I learned from working on my friends