What do you guys use to camp / live out of your Jeeps?

This is my Jed Clampett trailer:

IMG-0122 (1).JPG

With the '01 TJ, Motel 6, we take our Airedale along. With the '64 CJ5 or '52 M38 on a trailer with a '94 Shadow Cruiser 800 camper on the PU. Took the TJ to Mississippi, Oregon and Saskatchewan in past years. Have taken the '64 and '52 to Jeep runs in five western states.

ojqfm1.jpg

For winter and spring I use this tent setup with a wood stove and two cots. For summer I use a more conventional tent setup. The awning off the Jeep is nice for cooking or hanging out under.

There's a guy on fb & YouTube that has been living in his Jeep for a couple of years now. His pages are under "I am Jake". Sorry I don't know how to do a link.

I really don't understand the roof top tent idea. It puts you at a disadvantage for wheeling and camping, IMO it looks cool but is in practice a horrible idea. I see nothing but disadvantages when looking at roof top setups compared to traditional methods.

All you need is good camping/backpacking gear that is light weight which all fits into a single pack.

If your Jeep breaks away from help and you need to hoof it home you can throw your pack on your back and you have everything you need with you for multiple nights/days. If you want to use a different vehicle you throw your pack into the vehicle and you are ready to go. If you want to leave camp for the day with the jeep but don't feel like packing camp up you can. A backpack takes up very little space in the back and adds minimal weight to the Jeep.

We do 3-10 day backpacking overnight trips living just out of our packs; the bulk that people carry in their jeeps to do the same thing (from this point of view) is insane. Id be willing to wager that I have more capability in my 15 pound backpack then most carry in their jeep with all that bulk.

It is all about keeping things smart, multipurpose, compact, and light weight.

We began hammock camping 9 years ago and I haven't looked back, I wont sleep on the ground anymore.

It is the most comfortable way to sleep outdoors IMO; it rocks you to sleep and it rivals my foam/gel mattress at home.

It gets you off the ground, lets you camp in areas you dont want a tent on, and most important - when I swing my feet out of it to take a piss at 3 in the morning I am already in a upright sitting position slipping into my boots ready to go.

We sleep 4 seasons in these setups and have been out down to 6 below zero so far.

mock1.jpg
mncamp1.jpg
mock5AM.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NYJeepGuy607
Prior to heading out to Utah for my Geology field trip, I bought this combo pack from REI.

https://www.rei.com/product/127720/rei-co-op-backpacking-bundle

Worked great for me - tent was pretty spacious for a single person, sleeping bag was nice and warm (though I don't think I like the feeling of a mummy-like sleeping bag, I like to sprawl) and the sleeping pad was pretty good (though it was noisy as hell and I think I needed a bigger one to fit the entirety of the bottom of the tent).

32079199_10102059786718207_3716599131540553728_o.jpg

I'd suggest getting a footprint though. The tent withstood the wind out there quite well too.

Reactions: NYJeepGuy607