What do you think is the best all-terrain tire for the TJ?

Best all terrain ever made!

ea76ce0350c706b7862ed2ae5ed0d688.jpg

My short list for all terrain tires (I currently own or have previously owned all of these tires) :

BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 - because this tire belongs at the top of every AT tire list. [I've owned several sets through the years, expensive but you get what you pay for.]

Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx - an aggressive AT tire with Cooper's tough Armor Tec3 tire carcass, marketed as a "commercial traction" tire. [Recently replaced at 45,000 miles with Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT.]

Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 - another aggressive AT tire manufactured by Cooper, with the same tough Armor Tec3 tire carcass as the Cooper ST/Maxx. [Currently on my Jeep.]

Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT - slightly less aggressive tread than the ST/Maxx and 2-ply rather than 3-ply sidewalls, but with a 60,000 mile tread warranty. A very highly regarded tire among the overlanding community. The tread is similar to the old Yokohama Geolander AT of the late 1990's/early 2000's which worked well for me at Moab and on the Dusy Ershim and Rubicon trails. I recently used Cooper Discoverer AT3's on a month-long overlanding trip in Mexico - excellent performance in all terrain.

I do not care for the Goodyear Duratrac no matter how popular they may be in some circles. The sidewalls have been degraded from 3-ply to 2-ply in most sizes appropriate for jeeps and the relatively soft rubber compound that aids traction reduces longevity significantly such that they are no bargain in the long run. IMO, the BFG All-Terrain T/A K02 is a better buy than a Duratrac.

YMMV.
I have really liked cooper tires over the years, but went with the MY baja ATZ. Waiting on them to get in sometime this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rubi-Mike
The best all-terrain tire is the one you can afford to put on your TJ. I'm running the cheap Vee Rubber Taiga A/T 235/85R16 tire because that was what I could afford to put on my Wrangler. Best tire out there, probably not, have I been happy with it's performance on and off road for the cost, yup!

Reactions: Bill M. and AjoWay
I have run Duratracs in 265/75R16 LR-C and Cooper ST-Maxx in 255/85R16 (LR-E). The Duras were loud after some miles and had problems keeping balance. Have had the ST-Maxx and I like them much more, but they are heavier (58lb vs 45lb) but they have the 3ply sidewall and are a bigger tire (33" vs 31.7"). They are also much quieter.

That being said, the KO2 are a great choice as well - i just like the more aggressive all terrain pattern of the ST-Maxx.

If I had to buy tires again tomorrow for my LJ, I'd buy the ST-Maxx again.

Reactions: Cornbread
My vote is BFG - KO’s. I had a set of 32-11.50’s on my TJ in excess of 100,000 miles! They held up great. Now that’s it not my daily driver, I will be putting 33-10.50’s on it next week...upgrade the rear Dana 35 when it needs it.

I cannot say that they are the best or not, but I use the Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar.

Its my daily driver, so its important for me to have good on-road performance, but I try to wheel it as much as I can.
I am quite satisfied so far, in wet conditions on road, but also in rocks (not rock-crawling), mud, snow, ice, and a bit of sand off-road.

More capable than I expected! Only "drawback" is the not so aggressive look, if you consider it a drawback. I like the look though.

Has anyone else used these tires? How was your experience with them?

I'm running the falken wildpeak at3 . Only had them on a couple thousand miles. Liking them so far.
Same.

For me, the best AT had to be one from the very short list of non E-rated for the 16" moabs, and the one that I wouldn't need to take out a signature loan for. I have no complaints from these, yet. Time will tell.

Unlike majority, I can NOT stand the BFG line of tires. Have had 3 sets of KO2s on three different vehicles, one being the JLUR, couldn't stand them. Wore horribly, were obnoxiously loud for an AT with one set cupping despite multiple alignments showing well within spec. The KM2s I had were ok at just about everything, didn't shine anywhere. Safe to say, Ill never purchase BFGs again.

KO2's on my TJ and very happy with them... zero issues at all with them in snow this past winter and we get a tonne of snow.
Have the Dura's on my family's XJ and they have also always been great.
I went for the K02 only because I wanted to stay with the 32's and Dura's didn't have that size.

Unlike majority, I can NOT stand the BFG line of tires. Have had 3 sets of KO2s on three different vehicles, one being the JLUR, couldn't stand them. Wore horribly, were obnoxiously loud for an AT with one set cupping despite multiple alignments showing well within spec. The KM2s I had were ok at just about everything, didn't shine anywhere. Safe to say, Ill never purchase BFGs again.
X2 ,I have the 32’s as well and can’t keep them balanced. They suck in mud also

I have had several sets of the BFG'S and the only set I didnt like was on my f250. They didnt even last 30,000 miles. The other sets lasted and worked well in any terrain I put them in. I am in florida so take that for what it is. Might be different now but when I got mine they had no mileage warranty.