What else could I mount on my back gate?

I've always like the look of less is more kind of stuff even when it loses practicality. I simply just don't care about looks once I'm packing for a trip or using the vehicle for much of anything.

I love the look of a single cab truck, but in practice, they're annoying. I love the look of a topless Jeep, but in practice I hate turning into a lobster and worrying about the weather constantly.

Recently removed the spare tire and mount (and thus center brake light) from my TJ. The space is free now, and I'm wondering what else I could put there. Everything I've found online is some kind of accessory built around a spare tire, or over it, etc. Has anyone used the back gate as a place to mount anything else? I'm thinking about cargo racks, bike racks, or anything else that might be designed to mount to the same five bolts that the spare tire mount used to be attached to (you know, three up top and two down below).

And no, I don't think this is very practical. I'm just curious, messing around, etc.
I also removed the spare from my TJ because the extra weight there ruined the hinges. I replaced the hinges (very tough job) and would never hang anything with significant weight on the gate again. Replacing the hinges was a really difficult job. Good luck.

I keep it in the tub. When I am going to go wheeling I usually go with just one kid or no one so I remove the seat.
I’ll likely have this option available in the near future too now that we have another TJ in the family. Just remove the rear seat and throw the spare in the rear. I’m sure I’ll do that for wheelin trips farther from home.

I’ll likely have this option available in the near future too now that we have another TJ in the family. Just remove the rear seat and throw the spare in the rear. I’m sure I’ll do that for wheelin trips farther from home.
Yes, ultimately I think I would like to add another off-road vehicle to the stable so that we could all go wheeling together. That may be another TJ.

Reactions: Ephry73 and JMT
When I bought my new tyres* (Cooper AT) the tyre shop asked if I wanted the white lettering on the outside or inside. Err, why else did I buy them?

(*yes, that’s a perfectly good spelling, thank you)

Reactions: SSTJ and BugoutJeep
Since the hinges are always an issue in the Wranglers, I am a fan of the tubular tire carriers and not running a tire directly on the gate.

Last edited:
I also removed the spare from my TJ because the extra weight there ruined the hinges. I replaced the hinges (very tough job) and would never hang anything with significant weight on the gate again. Replacing the hinges was a really difficult job. Good luck.
What hinges did you use? I just did the exogate and that wasn't the tough part at all, it used all the factory holes and backing plates with new bolts.

Here's and idea from WMIK (Weapons Mount Installation Kit) British military Defenders...

In official British military parlance they call this tailgate a Pannier. They're used as a place to store gear; I've seen ammo cans in them and other items. A tailgate (er... pannier) like this one could be implemented for a Jeep,

View attachment 239950

The one above is a faux WMIK, someone has installed surplus WMIK bits to convert their civvie Defender into a WMIK clone (note no weapon installed on top, and the Defender decal on the back). The next two are real WMIKs:

View attachment 239951

View attachment 239952

View attachment 239953

Wouldn't be hard to fabricate a pannier like this that would be a direct replacement for a TJ tailgate.
Then you could put your spare in the pannier :) panniers are a common term for Bikes panniers or hard saddle bags

I'm on the clean look bandwagon and haven't missed the extra 200+ pounds and 18" hanging off the back. The license plate still takes a beating but I just can't bring myself mount it on the tailgate (yet). Next up is to raise the bumper.

600_489096000.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: JMT
Bumping this thread as I'm thinking about it again. Was wondering if I might mount some kind of small toolbox or locker in place of the spare.

I like this by @kmas0n, for example.

I'm in the middle of the same project but looking to go in a different direction, specifically not wanting to put anything back there. I like the clean look like @JMT's above but with the stock gate. Problem is I have to have a third brake light to pass inspection otherwise I'd just nuke the whole thing. The only thing I can find online is the license plate relocation bracket with integrated brake light which I don't like, I'd rather have the blank tailgate with just the brake light but can't find anything that mounts to the existing tire carrier holes. If you come across anything like that in your travels please let me know.
looking back through this thread I have to correct that above error, I learned afterwards that a 3rd brake light is NOT required to pass Pennsylvania inspection (provided you have no 3rd brake light on the vehicle). If you have one on there then it must work, but you can remove it altogether & you're good to go, which I did, like 8 seconds after learning that:

3rd brake light.jpg
2 will do.jpg