What else could I mount on my back gate?

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Recently removed the spare tire and mount (and thus center brake light) from my TJ. The space is free now, and I'm wondering what else I could put there. Everything I've found online is some kind of accessory built around a spare tire, or over it, etc. Has anyone used the back gate as a place to mount anything else? I'm thinking about cargo racks, bike racks, or anything else that might be designed to mount to the same five bolts that the spare tire mount used to be attached to (you know, three up top and two down below).

And no, I don't think this is very practical. I'm just curious, messing around, etc.

Blank, tailgate armor, keep things light? I’m still working on mine. Flush tail light are next. The pic doesn’t show, but the license plate is now flush and wraps around, and the cb antenna mount is gone. I may want to eventually move the license plate to the center of the tailgate.

FEE2612E-9B9F-48FD-AB04-96C29E1FF180.jpeg

You never need a spare tire anyway.......................until you do.:( I like my spare tire because cars bounce off it when they slam into me. I had a Honda Accord do that yesterday after 6" of snow and some ice. It folded his hood up. He just wanted to leave and not call the cops. I'm guessing he had no license or insurance.

RUBI skel 8 26 2 (2).jpg

Last edited:
From a purely cosmetic standpoint I think it looks best with nothing there at all (y)

My spare is never going back on my tailgate.

@Chris , where do you keep your spare? Or do you carry one at all these days?

I'd guess it was in the back, but I know you have young kids like I do, which makes that back seat pretty valuable.

Recently removed the spare tire and mount (and thus center brake light) from my TJ. The space is free now, and I'm wondering what else I could put there. Everything I've found online is some kind of accessory built around a spare tire, or over it, etc. Has anyone used the back gate as a place to mount anything else? I'm thinking about cargo racks, bike racks, or anything else that might be designed to mount to the same five bolts that the spare tire mount used to be attached to (you know, three up top and two down below).

And no, I don't think this is very practical. I'm just curious, messing around, etc.
I'm in the middle of the same project but looking to go in a different direction, specifically not wanting to put anything back there. I like the clean look like @JMT's above but with the stock gate. Problem is I have to have a third brake light to pass inspection otherwise I'd just nuke the whole thing. The only thing I can find online is the license plate relocation bracket with integrated brake light which I don't like, I'd rather have the blank tailgate with just the brake light but can't find anything that mounts to the existing tire carrier holes. If you come across anything like that in your travels please let me know.

@Chris , where do you keep your spare? Or do you carry one at all these days?

I'd guess it was in the back, but I know you have young kids like I do, which makes that back seat pretty valuable.
I keep it in the tub. When I am going to go wheeling I usually go with just one kid or no one so I remove the seat.

Reactions: JMT
From a purely cosmetic standpoint I think it looks best with nothing there at all (y)

My spare is never going back on my tailgate.
I agree here, I did have a plate cut with my club initials in it and bolted it on with the bottom holes and i mounted my pioneer kit axe on it with the upper bolts but that's it.

Reactions: Chris
Here's and idea from WMIK (Weapons Mount Installation Kit) British military Defenders...

In official British military parlance they call this tailgate a Pannier. They're used as a place to store gear; I've seen ammo cans in them and other items. A tailgate (er... pannier) like this one could be implemented for a Jeep,

WMIK1_zpsvrdp5fna.jpg

The one above is a faux WMIK, someone has installed surplus WMIK bits to convert their civvie Defender into a WMIK clone (note no weapon installed on top, and the Defender decal on the back). The next two are real WMIKs:

WMIKPannier1.jpg

WMIKPannier3.jpg

WMIKPannier2.jpg

Wouldn't be hard to fabricate a pannier like this that would be a direct replacement for a TJ tailgate.

My tailgate hinges started to die from years of use with a mounted spare. Therefore I would suggest nothing.

I installed the reinforcement hinges and plate so I could mount my spare and occasionally mount my spare tire bike mount and I have a rotopax water can on the back. I need to get an antenna mounted on the back instead of my magnet mount antenna. I could add all kinds of stuff, but prefer not to. Well I guess I carry a bag for items I want to keep on the outside mounted to my spare or my spare bike mount.

To me, Jeeps just look funny without a matching spare on the back, but I like raised white letters too because I'm old school.
No spare just looks like a JK kinda thing?

Reactions: BugoutJeep