What else do I need with 2" BDS lift?

Bruce20

TJ Enthusiast
I want to install a bds 2 inch lift with 32s I know it is preferred to regear, but is there any thing else I need to purchase. Like bump stops, transfer case drop, steering stabilizer, and end links. Any help is appreciated. I want to order the kit and any corresponding parts today.

This is a big decision and I want to make sure I make the right one. I want bigger tires but don’t want to have to worry about being tipsy on the road. I’m not driving my Jeep until I get the lift and tires done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could really just get away with the 2" lift with nothing else with the possibility you may need to drop the tcase skidplate 1/2 to 5/8". There's a 50-50 chance you'll pick up some minor drivetrain vibrations from a 2" lift. You can't just live with the vibes if they happens as they can take out u-joints, bearings, or seals.

You can fit 32's with a 2" suspension lift. With 32's it be a good idea to install taller bump stops when you can.

Personally I'd go with 2" ProComp springs and Rancho RS5000x shocks if I was installing a 2" suspension lift. :)

Bump stops for sure. You really need to cycle the suspension with shocks in place and tires on but springs out and check for clearance. For myself I also went with a JKS adjustable track bar and rear relocate bracket to center up the diffs.

You may or may not needs something to deal with drive line vibrations due to increase angles. I used a motor mount lift to eliminate 90% of what I had. Either a mml or transfer case drop are commonly used.

Just fyi, the BDS springs will have about 1" or a touch more rear rake. I used a .75" spacer in front and now it sits about 1/2" high in the rear. Here's a pic for reference...
DB5CwoHNy7GKI_6z7WwE8RVJJUM28CYVp64bdnbXOoWiB8CNn4a-VbGDU9BYr7OJcP4M39MjL6RFho8MeY=w1129-h635-no.jpg

Reactions: fuse and Bruce20
Personally I'd go with 2" ProComp springs and Rancho RS5000x shocks if I was installing a 2" suspension lift. :)
Is this about the same price? Around $500? Do you have any pictures? Why is this better than a BDS lift?

Last edited:
Will my 32s fit, or do I need 3/4” bumpstop spacer.

No one can tell you how much bumpstop you need. That's something that varies from vehicle-to-vehicle.

You need to determine that yourself by using this how-to:
How to set your bump stop on a Jeep Wrangler TJ

You can try and guess all you want, but you need to cycle the suspension and follow that thread to know for sure how much you need.

Unless of course you don't care about doing some potentially serious damage.

You may or may not needs something to deal with drive line vibrations due to increase angles. I used a motor mount lift to eliminate 90% of what I had. Either a mml or transfer case drop are commonly used.
What do drive line vibes feel like and when do they occur?

Drive line vibrations are a droning that you can feel, mostly under acceleration. You will know if if you have them.
Rake is the height front to rear, or rear to front, in reference to how the vehicle sits. So, mine is 1/2-5/8" higher in rear than front, measured at frame points to the ground, unloaded. Most seem to like their Jeep level but for me, I load it down when I take it hunting so I like to keep the rear from squatting too much.
Tires are Goodyear Duratac, 31x10.50 15 on a 15x7 wheel with 4" backspace.

Is this about the same price? Around $500?
Damn I'm sorry, I just called my local 4Wheel Parts store to get a price for springs for you and surprisingly discovered that ProComp has discontinued their 2" springs for TJs. They told me that RE has discontinued their 2.5" springs too. Looks like BDS may be your best bet but ask if they can substitute different (better) shocks like the Rancho RS5000x.
What do drive line vibes feel like and when do they occur?
You feel the vibrations up through your seat, it's almost kind of a low-pitched buzz. Don't confuse vibrations you feel through the steering wheel which are tire related. :)

Damn I'm sorry, I just called my local 4Wheel Parts store to get a price for springs for you and surprisingly discovered that ProComp has discontinued their 2" springs for TJs. They told me that RE has discontinued their 2.5" springs too. Looks like BDS may be your best bet but ask if they can substitute different (better) shocks like the Rancho RS5000x.
You feel the vibrations up through your seat, it's almost kind of a low-pitched buzz. Don't confuse vibrations you feel through the steering wheel which are tire related. :)

Dang, thanks man. That is some quality information. Thanks for calling for me. I will check to see if I can get just the BDS springs. Are the shocks about $200 for all 4? Thanks for the info about the vibrations.

Drive line vibrations are a droning that you can feel, mostly under acceleration. You will know if if you have them.
Rake is the height front to rear, or rear to front, in reference to how the vehicle sits. So, mine is 1/2-5/8" higher in rear than front, measured at frame points to the ground, unloaded. Most seem to like their Jeep level but for me, I load it down when I take it hunting so I like to keep the rear from squatting too much.
Tires are Goodyear Duratac, 31x10.50 15 on a 15x7 wheel with 4" backspace.

Thanks man. How do you like the Duratracs? I’ll want my Jeep level because I won’t load it down. The most I’ll do is tow a 500lb jet ski which has a very light tongue weight. You think 32x11.50 15 on 15x8 wheel with 3.5-4.0” backspacing will work? Thanks.

Dang, thanks man. That is some quality information. Thanks for calling for me. I will check to see if I can get just the BDS springs. Are the shocks about $200 for all 4? Thanks for the info about the vibrations.
Stop the presses!!!! 4Wheel Parts just called me back to say they erred when they told me they had been discontinued. They are available!

ProComp 2" springs.
Front: p/n 55297 $130 for the pair
Rear p/n 55298 also $130 for the pair.

You can get them through their website or from any 4Wheel Parts store.

You can get the Rancho RS5000x shocks from Amazon.com or from any dealer that carries Rancho. Probably $220 for all four.

That comes to around $480 for those springs & shocks.

Stop the presses!!!! 4Wheel Parts just called me back to say they erred when they told me they had been discontinued. They are available!

ProComp 2" springs.
Front: p/n 55297 $130 for the pair
Rear p/n 55298 also $130 for the pair.

You can get them through their website or from any 4Wheel Parts store.

You can get the Rancho RS5000x shocks from Amazon.com or from any dealer that carries Rancho. Probably $220 for all four.

That comes to around $480 for those springs & shocks.

$480 is a good price. I thought I saw them for $130 but I thought that was for the JKs. Do you have any pics?

$480 is a good price. I thought I saw them for $130 but I thought that was for the JKs. Do you have any pics?
Pics? Pics of springs or shocks? If you want to order those springs, please do me a favor and order them from Tom at 4Wheel Parts who took the trouble to call me back saying they were available. Either 760-708-0716 or 760-752-8697, please make sure to ask for Tom. He was very cool to help you & I both out on this question. He can get you the Rancho RS5000x shocks as well.

Pics? Pics of springs or shocks? If you want to order those springs, please do me a favor and order them from Tom at 4Wheel Parts who took the trouble to call me back saying they were available. Either 760-708-0716 or 760-752-8697, please make sure to ask for Tom. He was very cool to help you & I both out on this question.
[/QUOTE]

Will do! Pics of this setup on a Jeep. Will it look like the BDS lift height wise?

Will do! Pics of this setup on a Jeep. Will it look like the BDS lift height wise?
It would look identical. I just checked with Tom, he can get you the Rancho RS5000x shocks too. Don't let him get confused and accidentally order you the RS5000 which is not a good riding shock.