What Else Is Needed For This Rancho Lift?

Ianmark

I have been looking around for a lift kit for my 01 TJ and I found the Rancho 2.5 Inch Sport Lift System - RS6503B which comes with coils, adjustable control arms and what looks like a rear track bar bracket. I'm also thinking about the Rancho RS5000X.

What else is needed for a proper 2.5" lift? Sway bar links?

Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Ian
Untitled.jpg

Consider longer brake lines or at least repositioning the hard line flexible rubber line mount.
IF you go off road and disconnect the sway bars; you may damage you brake lines without doing one of the above suggestions.

Last edited:
Aren't control arms necessary on a 2.5" lift? I chose RS55241 and RS55239. What are the differences between the shocks in your link and mine?
No they are not.

The shocks you mentioned were too long for my 2.5" setup. When I installed them I only had 2" of up travel, so I called Rancho and returned them under their 90 ride guarantee and went with the shorter ones and they were almost perfect.

I have that exact lift... used the 5000x shocks. Run it with 32s (ko2 32x11.5x15) now and plenty of room for 33s. Didn’t need to add anything else. (Brake lines, sye etc) Did add spacers for the wheels to give enough room to avoid rubbing. Good luck
I should add I’m only using this on fire roads and as my DD... no crawling etc.
6324E902-D7C6-4EE5-8708-42B1B70AD6F2.jpeg

I have been looking around for a lift kit for my 01 TJ and I found the Rancho 2.5 Inch Sport Lift System - RS6503B which comes with coils, adjustable control arms and what looks like a rear track bar bracket. I'm also thinking about the Rancho RS5000X.

What else is needed for a proper 2.5" lift? Sway bar links?

Any help would be great.
Thanks,
IanView attachment 196113

Don’t really need the control arms. Someone mentioned longer brake lines. You don’t need that either.
You do need shocks
You may need an adjustable front track bar to center the axle
You could really use some longer rear sway bar links
You could use some front sway bar quick disconnects for off-road articulation.
@CodaMan setup is good

Last edited:
Reactions: Rubicon88
Don’t really need the control arms. Someone mentioned longer brake lines. You don’t need that either.
You do need shocks
You may need an adjustable front track bar to center the axle
You could really use some longer rear sway bar links
You could use some from sway bar quick disconnects for off-road articulation.
@CodaMan setup is good
This ^^^^^

You don't need all that horseshit in that kit.
I mean no disrespect if you've a love affair with Tenneco (Rancho's parent company)

Stock control arms would be a better way to go in your desired lift height.
You can buy a whole damn stock set really cheap. In other words if you smashed one, broke one...etc.

As above I highly agree on the sway bar disconnects. Get some longer sway bar links to match your lift but ones that are easily disconnected. There is absolutely no comparison in off road flex being disconnected versus connected. Track bar...if yours is in good shape at that lift height you would be ok using the stock one provided it's in good shape.

Shocks....only your ass knows the proper ones to get. There are some really good shocks out there but they vary from mush to extremely firm. Everybody has their in personal preference.

Lastly...I assume bigger tires are coming. Do NOT over inflate them. Matter of fact you don't need much air in a little Jeep with bigger meats.
If you inflate too high you'll be pissed at the ride abd start blaming the lift company, shocks, etc.

Good luck and happy wheeling

I have that exact lift... used the 5000x shocks. Run it with 32s (ko2 32x11.5x15) now and plenty of room for 33s. Didn’t need to add anything else. (Brake lines, sye etc) Did add spacers for the wheels to give enough room to avoid rubbing. Good luck
View attachment 196143
Come on brotha...your Jeep just called and asked me if I could take it wheeling.

Get that thing dirty, scrape some rocks. Earn a dent or two.

Leave the damn mall crawling for the spoiled elitest kids with super duty diesel trucks equipped with James Bond Goldfinger Aston Martin spikes sticking out the 24" wheels with no real rear bumper and the only thing it's hauling is a Donald Trump flag.

BTW...I love Trump but don't deprive the one they call the Jeep!!

Good day

Reactions: Stretch
Many thanks to you all. This is some excellent info. I have been looking around the net for some answers other than biased suggestions towards a particular brand or another.

This is a road queen mainly, but will see some trail use, that's it, so the sway bar quick disconnects won't be necessary. I like the look more than the use. Funny, (and probably useless), but I am going with an aftermarket bumper and a winch, again because I like the look.

So, I am going with the Rancho RS55128 and Rancho RS55240. But what about the springs? Pro comp, EMU or Rancho? I am probably going to replace the brake lines and hoses as they are very rusty and probable old, so longer brake hoses won't make a difference. I'll look into an adjustable front track bar longer front and rear sway bar links

I am in the middle of pulling the tub off to replace a torque box and repair the floor, I also think it will make it easier to clean and rustproof the frame. So far, the frame is rusty, but solid, so that will be descaled and cleaned. I still don't know yet what to use to cover the frame on the outside, but I think I'm going to go to the rustproofing place and see about them spraying inside the frame.

Again, many thanks to all for the help.

View attachment 196143
Looks great, I want mine to have the same stance. Are those Pro Comp series 69 wheels? Love the wheels, I got a used set in excellent condition with 285/75r16 (33x12.5) tires for $325.

Reactions: Stretch
This is my shopping list for my TJ. Let me know if you would change anything. remember, these prices are CDN, but if anyone knows of better prices, please let me know. The bumper and winch are basically add-ons, not necessary.

Rancho RS5000X Series Shock Absorber - RS55240 - CAD$146.70
Rancho RS5000X Series Shock Absorber - RS55128 - CAD$146.70
Pro Comp 2 Inch Lift Coil Springs, Front, Stock - 2.5 Inch Lift Range, Black, Pair of 2 - 55297 - CAD$176.99
Pro Comp 2 Inch Lift Coil Springs, Rear, Stock - 2.5 Inch Lift Range, Black, Pair of 2 - 55298 - CAD$176.99
Rock Krawler Stackable Bump Stop Kit - RK05611 - CAD$76.94
Daystar Comfort Ride .75 Inch Leveling Lift Kit - KJ09108BK - CAD$53.99
ARB Track Rod Extension Bracket - FKWTJ02 - CAD$31.58
Rock Krawler Front Track Bar - RK05194 - CAD$221.99
Smittybilt Winch Plate (Black) - 2802 - CAD$127.74
Smittybilt SRC Front Grille Guard Bumper with D-ring Mounts (Black) - 76721 - CAD$346.99
Smittybilt XRC 9.5K Waterproof 9500lb Winch Gen2 - 97495 - CAD$404.00
Total (incl. tax) - $2,222.72

Ian

Reactions: CodaMan
Come on brotha...your Jeep just called and asked me if I could take it wheeling.

Get that thing dirty, scrape some rocks. Earn a dent or two.

Leave the damn mall crawling for the spoiled elitest kids with super duty diesel trucks equipped with James Bond Goldfinger Aston Martin spikes sticking out the 24" wheels with no real rear bumper and the only thing it's hauling is a Donald Trump flag.

BTW...I love Trump but don't deprive the one they call the Jeep!!

Good day
Waiting on my lockers next spring, rear attachment point and a winch. (Dont want to be the guy that gets stuck and has no way of getting out relying on everyone) This lift was the first step along with general restoration so I can pinstripe the paint all to hell in the bush next year 😀

Looks great, I want mine to have the same stance. Are those Pro Comp series 69 wheels? Love the wheels, I got a used set in excellent condition with 285/75r16 (33x12.5) tires for $325.
Thanks...Actually they are the Alcoa 15x8 that came stock in 04 on the RME edition. That sounds like you got a great deal.

Waiting on my lockers next spring, rear attachment point and a winch. (Dont want to be the guy that gets stuck and has no way of getting out relying on everyone) This lift was the first step along with general restoration so I can pinstripe the paint all to hell in the bush next year 😀
Absolutely positively love the attitude!!!

Babes dig body damage. Especially if they make it.

Just looking into all my options before committing myself to a lift. What do you think of this Rubicon Express lift with Rancho RS-5000x shocks?

Rubicon Express 3.5" Super-Flex Suspension System
rubicon_express_re7003.jpg

Just looking into all my options before committing myself to a lift. What do you think of this Rubicon Express lift with Rancho RS-5000x shocks?

Rubicon Express 3.5" Super-Flex Suspension SystemView attachment 196596

This kit leaves alot to be desired when you are in the 3.5"-4" lift heights. You will definitely need an adjustable trackbar with this kit(i have never been a fan of drilling a hole in the already weak bracket on the axle), and likely adjustable upper control arms for the rear. Depending on if you were to get driveline vibes a rear CV driveshaft and SYE might be needed. Just some things to think about when moving up higher than 3" lifts.

I was just thinking that with the kit with Rubicon springs and Rancho shocks, I will still need control arm bushings as mine are shot, and most likely sway bar links. These two things will be about $400. I was thinking if I could take that $400 and get a kit with better components, it would be better.

Sometimes I over think things.

Ian