What fording depth are TJs okay for?

That depends on the transmission. Later models have raised remote vent openings that make it harder for water to get in. Earlier transmissions like the 30RH, 32RH, AX-5 and AX-15 have low vent opening positions that make it fairly easy for water to get inside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dougj169
If you know your breathers are all above the level of water, I've regularly gone through water deep enough to dip the tip of the hood under with no ill effects. In fact I've recently opened up every connection after years of doing this and they were all clean. If you get a little water in the engine it'll studder but you can bake it out by idling high. I don't choose deep water, but sometimes it's the price of entry on trails.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
As a side note, and not particularly useful information, it's $500 a TIRE if you get caught crossing moving water in Oregon and the State Trooper is having a bad day. Buddy just got popped taking a poser picture last weekend in his brodozer.

I didn't know you hung out with brodozers ;)

Reactions: CybrSlydr and StG58
Work dude. He's always asking questions about off roading his heavy 3/4 ton Chevy. Looking for a 25,000 pound winch right now.

You should try to get him to go some of the places you go in your TJ. See how well that Chevy does off-road you know ;)

You should try to get him to go some of the places you go in your TJ. See how well that Chevy does off-road you know ;)
He's the guy that spent a night out in Moab because he was stupid and thought that Chevy marketing was true. I forgot which trail it was down there, but he got stuck, got out and got lost.

I've shown him pictures, and taken him out shooting a couple of times. He knows better than to chase me through the woods. It was very entertaining. He calls his truck an "Expedition Vehicle" now instead of an off road vehicle. Lol It's neither, but he's happy spending money on it.

As a side note, and not particularly useful information, it's $500 a TIRE if you get caught crossing moving water in Oregon and the State Trooper is having a bad day. Buddy just got popped taking a poser picture last weekend in his brodozer.

Wow, I knew we had fines, but did not know they were that steep! Where did your friend get ticketed?

Wow, I knew we had fines, but did not know they were that steep! Where did your friend get ticketed?
Someplace in Eastern Oregon, I think. I'll find out.
Id like to see vehicles impounded unless its a designated trail water crossing. Screw those guys.
Right!? Totally agree.

USFS has shut down all of the ford's on the White and Clackamas Rivers for sure. I'm assuming the rest have been shut down too.

Breathers, who cares about breathers? If you suck water in the intake the engine is toast. Hydro-locked and done. It depends on luck and how much time the water has to fill inside the engine compartment. Anytime you get water over the hood you risk engine failure. You don't have time to react and switch the engine off, one second it's fine and the next the connecting rods are broken in two.

Bottom of the headlights is a smart answer.

I always thought it was like 30 inches or something.
I recently switched out a cold air intake that was installed and put a stock intake in after sucking up some water during a crossing.

Given the engine air intake in the stock location, the headlights are a very safe marker, as stated...and - also as stated - that's the air inlet you really have to worry about. This being said: I've made two long crossings with multi-yard sections that fully submerged the headlights, but I absolutely DO NOT recommend attempting that without having either a relocated intake or a plan to have your sorry ass dragged out of the drink.

Here's another way to judge it, and one that you can do from the driver's seat:

Anything less than fully-submerged tires indicates a totally safe depth (not a safe bottom condition, mind you). Water at the lip of a stock fender flare directly over the tire means that you need to start paying attention. Once the water hits the top deck of the fenders, things are getting sketchy and you're heading into a situation where it could be easy to lose your momentum and have the water slosh around inside the engine bay, or to simply hit a hole that momentarily dips the intake into the drink...so you need to start really paying attention. When you start seeing water up the sides of the hood, a small bit of white-knuckling is forgivable. Wash the water over the front hood lip, and you'd better hope that you're in good with the Big Kahuna because there's a decent chance that the rig is about to stop moving under its own power for a long time. Bury the hood and it's game over, Cochese; all you can do is shut down immediately and hope that the engine went still quickly enough.

If you go fast enough, you can just skip across the water...I use the distributor as the height that I do not want to exceed, height wise.

Reactions: Blondie70
Don't assume you know how deep the "puddle" is, almost made that mistake. When the water hit the hood and my ass, I took a hard right to put the intake up hill away from the water.
I drained both axles when I got home, luckily no water in either, only pulled the trans dipstick to look at the fluid. I do not suggest trying this, there is a trail here, the lake was just a "tad" bit high that weekend.
***Edit: I'm aware of how stupid this was, that should save you the trouble of informing me; I'm sure "sunshine" will remind me.
Barkley.png

Reactions: Long Rider