4.0l automatic
soft top
new exhaust system from header to bumper and new O2 sensors
mix of city/highway driving
synthetic oil
new plugs at 105k
throttle body cleaning at 106k

i got 15.6 mpg on my last tank.

And BTW, the size of your tank doesn’t matter when calculating mpg - it only matters when ”miles per tank” is the discussion, and then mpg likely is a part of the simple equation.
And from everything I’ve come across, all TJ’s have 19 gallon tanks, but the gauges read “heavy”. I suspect because Jeep knew that Jeeps would be used on rougher than normal terrain - a “heavy” reading gauge would help to minimize people being stranded (shades of the days of the old Volkswagen Beetle where when you ran the tank dry, you could flip a lever and have another 2 gallons. The key was to remember to switch the lever back when you got gas 🤯).

And from everything I’ve come across, all TJ’s have 19 gallon tanks,
I believe early model (1998 and maybe 1999) TJs there were some with a 15 gallon tank. If I recall they were the most stripped down basic trim models, and there weren't a ton of them made though.

I believe early model (1998 and maybe 1999) TJs there were some with a 15 gallon tank. If I recall they were the most stripped down basic trim models, and there weren't a ton of them made though.

Thanks DaveF! I was kinda going from memory for when I was looking at/for fuel pumps last year.

Sounds like some of our breathern got some of the smaller tanks. Wonder if the trigger was 4 cylinder? Or maybe Postal builds (but they would have been RHD). Or could have been inventory leftover from ‘95’s that would fit (?).

Thanks DaveF! I was kinda going from memory for when I was looking at/for fuel pumps last year.

Sounds like some of our breathern got some of the smaller tanks. Wonder if the trigger was 4 cylinder? Or maybe Postal builds (but they would have been RHD). Or could have been inventory leftover from ‘95’s that would fit (?).
I don't really know the details, I've just heard that some of the very basic, early models got them. I've also heard that they were actually the same 19 gallon tank, just modified to only accept 15 gallons for some reason, and that it might be possible to modify them back to a 19gal capacity.

Some of the more knowledgeable folks around here could probably be more specific :)

It does make me wonder how a full electric Jeep would work. If they estimate 50 miles on the battery for the new 4XE, I wonder if you would get 45-50 all offroad usage or not.

https://www.jeep.com/wrangler-4xe.html
One major bad side about a full electric with 200 miles of range would be trying to charge it out in the desert. The 5.5KW Onan wouldn't even begin to charge a battery like that.
Your electric bill would outweigh the price of gas.

19 gallon tanks were standard in 1999.

4.0, AX15, 5.13's, 35's... getting around 13mpg mixed driving.

With rack and RTT, around 10.5mpg mixed driving.

Which means more fossil fuels, coal, or nuclear energy would be needed to generate the electricity that these tree huggers think they are saving us all from.

Funny how everyone thinks that the electrical power is just there, inside that little plug on the wall.

Not to take away from or demean solar - it’s a great idea as long as the wind is blowing or the sun is shining - and we can figure out how to economically make invertors large enough to provide the kW demand to charge all those cars - not to mention the end of life dead battery scrap storage capacity which is also an environmental hazard that oops, is a hazard similar to and created by fossil fuels, coal, and nuclear.

What goes around comes around. 😀

Goodnight Shana - Goodnight Jim!

I don't really know the details, I've just heard that some of the very basic, early models got them. I've also heard that they were actually the same 19 gallon tank, just modified to only accept 15 gallons for some reason, and that it might be possible to modify them back to a 19gal capacity.

Some of the more knowledgeable folks around here could probably be more specific :)
All TJs came with 19 gallon tanks, but 4cyl models had a modification in the fill tube to only accept 15 gallons. This is easily reversed by cutting back said tube. I assume this had to do with shaving weight after filling up.

Never have checked mine but, it hopefully gets better than my BB Moho.
Feed it when I need to.

The argument that whatever gains are made by using a battery-powered car are offset by burning more coal/fossil fuels to generate that electricity is a bit spurious. Internal combustion engines are at best 20% efficient or so, meaning the rest of that energy is converted into waste heat. Electric motors are more like 85% efficient, so even though you're burning more fossil fuels to make that electricity, you're producing less greenhouse gas overall.

The bigger problem is that electric cars cost so much more than gasoline cars that the consumer savings take years to realize. Who the heck will buy a $65,000 electric Wrangler that will cost a ridiculous amount to fix out of warranty?

I should ask how many kilometres per litre are you guys getting and let your brain work as hard as mine has to with these threads! :)
My 06 TJ holds 71.9228239 Litres I get 6.5 Kilometres per Litre or 15.288943 mpg (US) 0n a 60 Kilometre or 37.2822715 Mile round daily trip :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Viking Jeeper
If I still smoked converting this thread to compute in my brain would have cost me at least $50 given a pack of smokes is $25 in Australia that's for chepo Pall Mall and I would have easily gone through 2 packs so I don't care if my next fill up is only 10MPG :)

Reactions: Claybirdd
2000 4.0 5 speed with 3.73 gears on 31 AT tires, 19 gallon tank, mostly soft top down, around town driving, I get 15-17 the few times I've tried to calculate.

Interesting thread. Yep most of us are in the US, so get one of those (Android in my case) converts to enlighten you from liters to gallons and kilometers to mph that are easy to find and just adapt to the poster, kinda like I fly two airplanes, one in MPH and the other in Kts..

Absolutely only way to figure gas millage, fill your tank and note odometer reading. Drive till you are done, does not matter what your tank size is. Note how many gallons and note odometer reading. Nothing else matters other than how much fuel it took to get it back where full was and how many miles what you have burnt took you. If you had different driving conditions during your "test" sometimes city, sometimes highway, sometimes 55, sometimes 75-80 on the turnpike, it will vary

Myself. Totally stock 98 TJ 4.0, 5 speed, 3.07 gears, stock tire size. Mostly back county roads at 45-50 from my house, then highway at 55-65. (noise gets intense for me even though I have most likely had more speeding tickets than many of you combined when I was younger) One speeding ticket every time I go out is not a problem, they will never get even with me. haha

I have the19 gal tank that shows empty and the light goes on when I usually have about 4-5 gal left. Let me make this clear. I did not purchase this vehicle for gas mileage, and I do not drive for gas mileage. Want to accelerate faster, simple, push foot down. (I do still miss my old Muncie M-24 Rockcrusher 4 speed for power shifts through the gears, have to let off the throttle big time with my TJ) I am on a major truck route highway, step on it pulling out or wait another 5-7 min to get an open spot. Yep little towns I go into are 35-45 for a few miles.

I am 16-18 on average. Been on this site a couple years now. A big thank you to all who have helped me out in the background with your knowledge, yep might not always apply to me, nor I agree to your opinions, what I do and have my exact problems, but this site has been a tremendous asset to the new jeep owner as I was a couple years back. Thank You

Last edited:

Yes there is a thread on that, pulling out the plastic filler tube in the tank and sawing it off so that it does not vent and think it is full. Seems all the tanks are the same size, just have two filler tubes with different part numbers to make $ Search till you find it. It is there.

What happens then is that someone with a gas powered Ford or Chevrolet pick up truck hooks onto a portable diesel generator and drives out to where you are stranded and in a half hour later you should be ready to drive off in your coal fired or natural gas fired generator hooked to the electric plug in you normally use to charge your batteries.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I just thought to myself why on earth would anyone need to go to empty or even close to do a test as my old dad used to? fill up gas tank to first click then top up, record mileage on trip metre then at any stage fill back up to first click top up record fuel used then repeat as many times as you like!
Fuel and the weight of fuel using more fuel is an old wives tale, keep the tank full every fill and get much less evaporation.