What gears for 2003 TJ with 5 speed and 33s?

4.56 or 4.88. I'm inclined to go with 4.88 only because I like a bit deeper gear personally.

i like my 4.56 with a 5sp and 33s. Does 70-75 real nice. I would be afraid that 4.88s would bring the RPMs up over 3k. But i can not confirm that.

With 4.56 i can start out 2nd with no problems

I run 4.56, same year, 5 speed, 33’s. It’s good. Pick up a gear to reset your speedometer. I drive city to work everyday, it’s good gearing. My mechanic was happy to drive a lifted Jeep that drove like it was supposed to. I also drive on the freeways for hours on end at 70 with no issues. 5th gear is usable again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 03 Rubicon Manual 5 speed with 33" has 4:56 gearing . I wouldn't be afraid to do 4:88 either , especially if I dealt with a lot of hills regularly.

Don't get lost in an endless debate ...I drove around for months not realizing ( or wanting to realize maybe) how pitiful it was with 4:10 and 33's , and man was it drinking fuel . I gained 6 mpg instantly .

Do the regear . Get someone well qualified if you are hiring it done or make sure you know exactly what you are doing if you tackle it yourself .

It makes a lifted Jeep a ball to drive vs. stock gearing and large tires.

Reactions: ElectricWizard