What have you done to minimize suspension sagging with weight in the rear?

RangerZ21i

This time of year my TJ is used weekly to drive to my hunting camp. When I go I almost always have the back packed with anything from ice chest to clothes or other stuff. I also occasionally pull a trailer. Either way it causes the back of my Jeep to sag. Has anyone here had similar issues and what did you do to help correct or minimize? I found below searching the web, thoughts?

https://timbren.com/blog/products-page/jftj/

Air Lift load support bags. You'll have to make sure the rear bump stops are where they ought to be. Then you have to find a pair a bags that fit the space between the axle pad and the bottom of the jounce. Don't buy TJ bags and don't cut the jounces like AirLifts tells you to do.

Air Lift load support bags. You'll have to make sure the rear bump stops are where they ought to be. Then you have to find a pair a bags that fit the space between the axle pad and the bottom of the jounce. Don't buy TJ bags and don't cut the jounces like AirLifts tells you to do.
Can you clarify "where the bump stops ought to be" and I am also curious why you would not use the TJ bags?
Thanks for the help

If the Jeep is lifted, has larger tires or non stock shocks, the bump stops might need to be modified.

AirLift TJ bags will only fit a stock TJ. Even then, I don't believe they are the right fit.

If the Jeep is lifted, has larger tires or non stock shocks, the bump stops might need to be modified.

AirLift TJ bags will only fit a stock TJ. Even then, I don't believe they are the right fit.

OK makes sense. Honestly i was hoping to stay away from the airbags but they let you dial in the height you want as the load varies.

Are you properly distributing the weight in the trailer and not overloading the tung weight?

There is no trailer, he's just loading the rear of the TJ.

X2 to the Airlift air bag system recommended by JIVW which will level the TJ. It works great I installed one into my 89 XJ Cherokee for boat towing duty.

Can you clarify "where the bump stops ought to be" and I am also curious why you would not use the TJ bags?
Thanks for the help
You can only use the TJ bags on a stock TJ with no lift and stock tires.

The universal kits will fit any Jeep based on the distance between the bump stops and the diameter of the coil spring.

2015-AIRLIFT-1K.png

You can put them on either or both axles. Airlift recommends plumbing each pair of bags together, but it may be better to plumb each bag separately. Plumbing them together will not do anything to combat the increased body roll from a heavier load, but may increase axle flex. Plumbing them separately will increase axle flex at the cost of additional body roll. Plumbing them separately also allows you to level the Jeep side to side as well.

If you're looking to spend some serious cash, there are fully automatic and height adjustable systems out there. Airock is the primary system.
https://offroadonly.com/shop/suspen...-4-0l-includes-york-on-board-air-and-swayloc/That kit includes on board air, the fully automatic airbag system, and an automatic dual rate sway bar. (The OBA can be done separately and the swaybar isn't necessary.)
Here's one in demo mode:

Last edited:
This time of year my TJ is used weekly to drive to my hunting camp. When I go I almost always have the back packed with anything from ice chest to clothes or other stuff. I also occasionally pull a trailer. Either way it causes the back of my Jeep to sag. Has anyone here had similar issues and what did you do to help correct or minimize? I found below searching the web, thoughts?

https://timbren.com/blog/products-page/jftj/
There is no trailer, he's just loading the rear of the TJ.

X2 to the Airlift air bag system recommended by JIVW which will level the TJ. It works great I installed one into my 89 XJ Cherokee for boat towing duty.
That might help.

Reactions: reddvltj
I'm glad I'm not going crazy...

If he's pulling a trailer, I assume that's because the back is already full (with people and/or stuff). A trailer only adds to that via tongue weight. So I think he's driving with 3 different weights: empty, cargo, cargo+trailer. If some care is taken when loading the trailer so as to not overload the Jeep it'll be more consistent to account for rather than everybody just throwing deer camp into the trailer differently each trip.

A truck/SUV may be better suited for your needs and will more comfortably handle the towing. They also tend to be much more forgiving with lots of tongue weight. Just something to consider before you put money into an airbag system that may still leave you wanting more.

I would suggest a weight distribution hitch for the trailer, something like this with a sway control,
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dis...P5odGLIYke9b9rOoOMfo_3vqHrm_Lm2RoCBIEQAvD_BwE
as for just weighing the back of the jeep down??? That would be pretty hard to accomplish without sacrificing the ride height/quality when it's not loaded down.

A concern with a weight distribution hitch is that they will add another 100lbs or so hanging off the back of the Jeep. That means 100lbs less cargo or tongue weight. Fully loaded for camping, my wife and I carry less than that if it gives you any idea of how much less stuff that means you can carry.

• Wow
A concern with a weight distribution hitch is that they will add another 100lbs or so hanging off the back of the Jeep. That means 100lbs less cargo or tongue weight. Fully loaded for camping, my wife and I carry less than that if it gives you any idea of how much less stuff that means you can carry.
A weight distribution hitch transfers load from the rear axle to the front. So the increase in tongue weight should be more than offset by the torque applied by the hitch.

Although, airbags are significantly cheaper than weight distributing hitches. An air lift 1000 kit is <$90 for one axle. A weight distribution hitch is $200. So I would airbag before buying a WD hitch.

You can only use the TJ bags on a stock TJ with no lift and stock tires.

The universal kits will fit any Jeep based on the distance between the bump stops and the diameter of the coil spring.

View attachment 127890

You can put them on either or both axles. Airlift recommends plumbing each pair of bags together, but it may be better to plumb each bag separately. Plumbing them together will not do anything to combat the increased body roll from a heavier load, but may increase axle flex. Plumbing them separately will increase axle flex at the cost of additional body roll. Plumbing them separately also allows you to level the Jeep side to side as well.

The universal kit doesn't look like it works with well with the TJ spring seats. It isn't what I put in mine. All I have are the red bags with air lines running through the drilled lower bump stop pad.

One odd consideration that I expect to deal with is that I would like to switch to Currie bump stops someday. The plumbing wouldn't fit in as cleanly as it does on the stock setup.

If you're looking to spend some serious cash, there are fully automatic and height adjustable systems out there. Airock is the primary system.
https://offroadonly.com/shop/suspen...-4-0l-includes-york-on-board-air-and-swayloc/That kit includes on board air, the fully automatic airbag system, and an automatic dual rate sway bar. (The OBA can be done separately and the swaybar isn't necessary.)
Here's one in demo mode:

The Airock system is ridiculously complicated and full of bad compromises. It's biggest problem is if you are going to use the variable ride height feature, how do you deal with the changes in pinon angle and the track bar?

The universal kit doesn't look like it works with well with the TJ spring seats. It isn't what I put in mine. All I have are the red bags with air lines running through the drilled lower bump stop pad.

One odd consideration that I expect to deal with is that I would like to switch to Currie bump stops someday. The plumbing wouldn't fit in as cleanly as it does on the stock setup.

The Airock system is ridiculously complicated and full of bad compromises. It's biggest problem is if you are going to use the variable ride height feature, how do you deal with the changes in pinon angle and the track bar?

Everyone gets a vibrajeep!

The universal kit installs very similar to the TJ specific kit.

Here is the TJ specific kit on an LJ:

Here is a universal install on a JK:

I don't think it would work well with the Currie bumpstops. I have those and the bolt goes straight through the middle. I actually plan to use my shocks as the limiter. I checked with Fox and their shocks have a small external compressible bumper. I would just have to be careful to keep the bags properly inflated and not drive aggressively off highway.

As for the Airock kit, there's only one height you use on road. Below a certain speed, it gives you the option to raise and lower the height, or lean forward/backwards/left/right. Thus the pinion angle, toe change, and axle position change becomes only minimally important. I will agree there is a lot of complexity to it.

Got it. That red spacer thing looks to be optional. Mine doesn't have them.

I'm not sure that I agree that the jounces should be removed (or trimmed as other instructions suggest). I considered them as the upper boundary for my measurements. I also run my bags empty with an open bleed valve when not in use, contrary to AirLift's recommendation.

Reactions: Steel City 06