What if Jeep made a modern day LJR?

Kevin Q

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Would it make sense for Jeep to offer a LJ version of the JL? If so, how many of you would jump on one? What if they went even further and offered a bare bones Jeep LJR with the 4.0.

If you look up the measurements of each the 2 door JL and LJ are almost identical in length. Obviously you have more room in the cab with the newer model being much wider. I prefer the looks of the LJ over the JL, but prefer the ride of the newer model. Would be nice to get a mixture of both but that would cost a fortune.

Reactions: mgroeger and pagrey
The wheelbase of the LJ is about 6 inches longer than a 2 door JL, but the overall length is about the same.
Would it make sense to offer a longer wheelbase 2 door JL? Nope not at all, plus I think it would look hideous.

There was a JK built to LJ length back when the Jk’s were relatively new to the market, it looked great.
If the JL 2dr shared the wheelbase and cargo length of my LJ’s there’s a good chance one would be in my garage and both of my LJ Rubicons would be for sale.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DrDmoney
It would probably cost $60k and I refuse to spend that on a depreciating asset, so it would be a while. But if they offered something close to LJ weight and dimensions with a reasonably powerful port fuel injection engine (none of that turbo direct injection crap)...bonus if it's an inline 6....I would be a heck of a lot more interested than I am in any currently available flavor of JK or JL.

But it'll never happen, so my long term plan is to build my own. Once I have a shop built at my house, I want to buy an LJ, swap as many mods from my TJ as are practical (axles, suspension, transfer case for sure...the MCE fenders and rock sliders will have to stay) and sell the TJ.

Unfortunately the 4 door offers so much more than a LJ ever could. Need to haul people? Has a real back seat. Need to haul stuff? Fold the back seat and you have a bunch more room. The 4 door outsells the 2 door something like 9 to 1. So there would be little if any market to offer another 2 door option. If anything they would build a different 4 door option of some kind.
If people were looking for a LJ type option they would just save $40 thousand and buy a real LJ.

I am impressed with the 3.8 in my wife's JK, torque galore at low rpm's
How does it compare with the 4.0? The guy who rebuilt my 42RLE said some of the autos paired with the 3.8 in JKs were locking the torque converter too soon and lugging the engine, and that while mine was also locking a little too soon in his opinion the 4.0 had enough torque to not matter.

Why the hate on the 4.0? I got a Jeep out of a strong preference for the 4.0. It's not the G.O.A.T 4.9 but fairly close.

Why the hate on the 4.0? I got a Jeep out of a strong preference for the 4.0. It's not the G.O.A.T 4.9 but fairly close.

It was good for it's day. It is reliable and resilient. But it is big, heavy and under powered compared to what is available today. It would be silly to put one in a modern vehicle.

Reactions: Starrs
How does it compare with the 4.0? The guy who rebuilt my 42RLE said some of the autos paired with the 3.8 in JKs were locking the torque converter too soon and lugging the engine, and that while mine was also locking a little too soon in his opinion the 4.0 had enough torque to not matter.
I have lugged the wife's JK down to 800 rpms and it pulled as good as my 4.6 stroker or even better... the JK is a 6 speed the stroker has a 32RH

It was good for it's day. It is reliable and resilient. But it is big, heavy and under powered compared to what is available today. It would be silly to put one in a modern vehicle.

I see why it wouldn't make business sense. But reliable and resilient is what I look for. But I drive vehicles for 200K+ miles or more before selling them. My DD is a Corolla that I can't merge with the A/C on but I hope to get to 300K miles.

Reactions: Zorba
Notice the other engine I preferred over the 4.0 is a similarly situated Ford. I've seen them on tractors for something like 60 years.