What is a fair cost on a re-gear, axle upgrade, and e-lockers?

TJKeen

Supporting Member
So I'm new to the TJ/Jeep Wrangler world. Bought my first ever in April. 2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0L 5-Speed Manual 3.07 gears and 31x10.5r15 tires with Soft Top in Amber Spice Metallic and presumably an Apex edition since it has the Cognac Ultrahide seats. Anyway, I have upgraded the steering linkage with the XJ tie-rod and drag link, fixed random odds and ends, flushed all the fluids, upgraded the sound system, and overhauled the cooling system so far. Next up is the re-gear from 3.07 to 4.56, axle upgrade, eLockers front and rear along with an OME 2.5" suspension lift, 1.25" body/motor mount lift (DPG Offroad style) and 33" tires.

I am on a temporary work assignment down in far south Texas, and I'm looking at getting the re-gear/axle/locker work install done at a place down here. He has worked hard to source all of the parts at suppliers that have them in stock, which I know is a challenge right now, and got me an estimate last week. The labor is VERY reasonable, but the build is not exactly what I was looking for. However, I feel like it would still be an absolutely bulletproof setup for what I'm looking to do with the Jeep, the majority of which will be fire roads and mud holes with an occasional beginner to easy intermediate wheeling. Here is the estimate:

Front axle labor: $575
Front G2 4.56 gears part # 2-2031-456: $225
Front G2 gear install kit part # 235-2031: $160
Front Eaton eLocker Dana 30/27 Spline: $1295
Front G2 Tork Axle Kit (27 spline, 4340 chromoly, includes Spicer U-joint upgrade) part # 98-2031-001: $598
Rear axle labor: $475
Rear G2 4.56 gears part # 2-2049-456: $225
Rear G2 gear install kit part # 235-2049L: $160
Rear Eaton eLocker Dana 35/30 Spline: $1295
Rear G2 Rear Axle Kit (30 spline, 1541H Steel Alloy) part # 96-2049-2-30: $631
Oil & Shop Supplies: Included at no cost

TOTAL: $5639

I know from the reading I have done on this forum that the chromoly axle shafts up front on the Dana 30 are overkill. I also know that Revolution Gear and Axle is the preferred brand for the gears and the Super 35 upgrade. However, the "specs" on the G2 Rear Axle Kit are pretty close if not identical to those of RG&A. The 1541H alloy is not published anywhere, I had to call them to find that out. The prices on the eLockers is a little high, and the price on the rear axle kit seems like almost double, but the price on labor is so good, paired with the difficulty of finding all of these parts in stock, I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger. He is a very "old school" guy and wanted to do the c-clip delete, until he found out from calling his suppliers and found out nobody does that anymore. He also trusts G2, and that's what he wants to go with from his warranty perspective.

What do you guys think?

So I'm new to the TJ/Jeep Wrangler world. Bought my first ever in April. 2002 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0L 5-Speed Manual 3.07 gears and 31x10.5r15 tires with Soft Top in Amber Spice Metallic and presumably an Apex edition since it has the Cognac Ultrahide seats. Anyway, I have upgraded the steering linkage with the XJ tie-rod and drag link, fixed random odds and ends, flushed all the fluids, upgraded the sound system, and overhauled the cooling system so far. Next up is the re-gear from 3.07 to 4.56, axle upgrade, eLockers front and rear along with an OME 2.5" suspension lift, 1.25" body/motor mount lift (DPG Offroad style) and 33" tires.

I am on a temporary work assignment down in far south Texas, and I'm looking at getting the re-gear/axle/locker work install done at a place down here. He has worked hard to source all of the parts at suppliers that have them in stock, which I know is a challenge right now, and got me an estimate last week. The labor is VERY reasonable, but the build is not exactly what I was looking for. However, I feel like it would still be an absolutely bulletproof setup for what I'm looking to do with the Jeep, the majority of which will be fire roads and mud holes with an occasional beginner to easy intermediate wheeling. Here is the estimate:

Front G2 Tork Axle Kit (27 spline, 4340 chromoly, includes Spicer U-joint upgrade) part # 98-2031-001: $598

I know from the reading I have done on this forum that the chromoly axle shafts up front on the Dana 30 are overkill. I also know that Revolution Gear and Axle is the preferred brand for the gears and the Super 35 upgrade. However, the "specs" on the G2 Rear Axle Kit are pretty close if not identical to those of RG&A. The 1541H alloy is not published anywhere, I had to call them to find that out. The prices on the eLockers is a little high, and the price on the rear axle kit seems like almost double, but the price on labor is so good, paired with the difficulty of finding all of these parts in stock, I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger. He is a very "old school" guy and wanted to do the c-clip delete, until he found out from calling his suppliers and found out nobody does that anymore. He also trusts G2, and that's what he wants to go with from his warranty perspective.

What do you guys think?

I don’t think that’s unreasonable in today’s market. I had basically the same work done a couple of years ago and as I recall I paid only about $300 less than that. The only thing I would change is your gear ratio, 4.88 is recommended now for your transmission

Reactions: Sancho
I don’t think that’s unreasonable in today’s market. I had basically the same work done a couple of years ago and as I recall I paid only about $300 less than that. The only thing I would change is your gear ratio, 4.88 is recommended now for your transmission

I’d always read that 4.56 was recommended for 33s and the 5spd?

The only thing I see he is a bit high on is the price of the lockers and not that much. I'd expect to be able to source them for around a grand or so each. The gear sets are a tiny bit high in a normal economy where they are on the shelf everywhere. Toss that out the window for availability. Labor is fine but the oil is a significant cost that shouldn't be ignored. He is offsetting his lower labor with parts mark-up which is fine.
He is a very "old school" guy and wanted to do the c-clip delete, until he found out from calling his suppliers and found out nobody does that anymore.

There was one issue with the c-clip eliminator I designed for Superior. There was no good way to run rear disc brakes and they didn't want to pursue that option so I never spent the time to figure it out. He really is old school if he remembers that kit since it hasn't been around for at least 15 years or so. Good kit that worked without a single failure or leak. I wish it was still out there.

I’d always read that 4.56 was recommended for 33s and the 5spd?
rpm vs mph will be very close to the following:

Screenshot_20220620-063603_Chrome.jpg

IMO, 4.56 for flat lands, 4.88 for hills and mountains.

rpm vs mph will be very close to the following:

View attachment 338179

IMO, 4.56 for flat lands, 4.88 for hills and mountains.

We had this same discussion yesterday in another thread. Members way more knowledgeable than me now recommend 4.88. I have 4.56 with 32’s and it’s very good. Wish I went with 4.88 for future move to 33’s.

We had this same discussion yesterday in another thread. Members way more knowledgeable than me now recommend 4.88. I have 4.56 with 32’s and it’s very good. Wish I went with 4.88 for future move to 33’s.
I'm running 5.13/35s/NSG370 and it's exactly what I was looking for but I'd venture to say that most TJ owners, who never see a hill much less a mountain, would not like the rpms at highway/interstate speeds.

What do you guys think?

Welcome !
200.gif

My regear was more than that but I had an axle swap and other things done which added to the price. Got it all done at once to be set up for 35" tyres.
pir001.jpg