What is causing my TJ body to sway?

bills99sahara

I've been trying to figure out what is causing body sway on my 1999 TJ with a 4" suspension lift and 31" tires. I had a 2002 with a 4" suspension lift and 33" tires in the past and never had this problem. It doesn't matter what speed I'm driving or if the road is smooth or has potholes. The body rocks side to side. The first things I noticed is the rear sway bar had some side to side movement on the bushings. Replaced those and didn't help much, rear lower control arm bushings were shot, replaced those and that still didn't help, The only thing else I see is the front sway bar end links have some free play in the bushings. Would that cause the issue?

Could be the links. Did you extend the front links with the lift? 4" takes the sway bar out of the proper angle which probably does not help the issue.

My friend's TJ did this and it ended up being completely worn out control arm bushings.

The rear lowers were the only ones I could see the bolt moving around inside the housing when my son pushed down on the bumper. The rest of them I didn't see any movement

A few possibilities include worn out shock absorbers, underinflated tires, or one or both of the antiswaybars have a broken link which stops it from helping to keep the body under control.

While I was underneath I noticed the transmission has some slight side to side movement from the mount. Would that cause the body sway issue?
No but the transmission should not have side to side movement. Sounds like you at least have a bad transmission mount but that wouldn't be the cause of the body roll.

Last edited:
How are the shocks? That would be the first place I look.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: jjvw
I'd be looking at shocks, sway bars and any bushings associated with them.

A couple years ago, I replaced all six bushings in the rear sway bar and it really tightened up the body roll.

Do you know what model Rancho shocks they are? Are there any Rancho model # stickers on them? Rancho makes both hydraulic and gas charged and both act very differently from each other if you pull one or two off to test them. Either way both types should strongly resist bring pulled or pushed on by hand. Hydraulic shocks stay put at wherever position they're left at, gas-charged will always extend fully out once they are unbolted and you're not pushing on them.

The part number on the front shocks is RS5239
That's one their older very stiff (when in good condition) hydraulic RS5000 shocks. I'd pull one or two off to test them by pushing and pulling on them. They should all be very hard to compress and expand them. They are hydraulic so they will not try to expand out on their own. They stay at whatever position they're left at and resist being moved from that position.

If any can be easily pushed/pulled in/out that immediately indicates a bad shock.

Last edited:
What is a good shock to replace them with?. Locally I can get Rancho's, Pro-Comp, Skyjacker, and Tough Country. I'm not going to be doing any serious off-roading with it

What is a good shock to replace them with?. Locally I can get Rancho's, Pro-Comp, Skyjacker, and Tough Country. I'm not going to be doing any serious off-roading with it
A lot of guys here, Jerry B included I think, recommend Rancho RS5000X shocks. Good price for a good shock. I just put a set on mine. So far only about 100 miles on them but I like them.