What is supposed to go here under my hood cowl?

Lowcountryearl

TJ Enthusiast
So, cannot find what is suppose to be under the cowl of my 98, all the parts drawings eliminate this part in the drawings but have a part number. It has a foam wrap over a piece of plastic, is this the stock application?

cowl1.jpg
cowl2.jpg

I saw something like that on another site but it's for a 2000+, mine is a 98 and haven't been able to find anything that is suppose to be there for the 98

Here’s a pic of my 98 from a few months back when I replaced the wiper motor. Nothing on the intake or any holes for mounting something to it. My guess would be the PO of yours was trying cobble together a cabin filter or something. That intake will suction in leaves/pine needles etc. I got tired of getting pelted in the face with ground up ponderosa pine needles and put a vent scoop on my cowl.
1598410172240.jpeg

Thanks for sending that pic, I have water in the passenger floor after it rains, as it sits in the driveway, was thinking it might be coming from that,, maybe not

Thanks for sending that pic, I have water in the passenger floor after it rains, as it sits in the driveway, was thinking it might be coming from that,, maybe not
There's a chance the cowl drain is plugged. With the cowl off, run some water in there and see how fast it drains. It should drain pretty quick.

@derekmac has the right of it. Check your drain before modding anything. If it’s draining promptly then start looking at your roof/windshield/door seals. Adding that assembly off a later model that wasn’t designed to be there originally could make it worse without addressing the root cause.

I had the same problem. There are the things I did to cure it;

1-Install a AC condensate drain hose. My AC drain was dripping directly on the firewall and the water ran in along one of the seams.

2- Coat the foam seal on the firewall where the AC and heater hoses enter. My foam was old and hard. I smeared clear silicon all over the exposed surfaces. My fix doesn't look pretty, but it worked.

3- If you remove/install a hard top for the winter, make sure the rubber seal in the upper corner where the windshield frame, door and top meet are in place. On my jeep, the seals looks like it has a little tab that fits into the hard top.

Reactions: mushdogs