What is the best air intake for a TJ?

Rdeitz

I have a stock 2001 TJ (20,000 miles!). Use it to go up on the Rubicon and over the Sierras in winter. Want to get a bit more power at elevation. Saw a lot of places say replace the air intake. I am open to also changing the muffler with a high flow at the same time. But there are like 30-40 different choices on Summit! I go in water and snow - what is the best new air intake on the TJ?

• Face Palm
Reactions: Chris
The only way you are going to see significant increased power is forced induction (supercharger/turbocharger) or additional displacement/compression (stroker or V8 swap).

Most other mods are a waste of money. The factory intake and exhaust flows well enough even for heavily modified engines.

A supercharger kit is the easiest way to get significantly more power, but it will cost you a lot. But the results are quite dramatic at all elevations. Here is the most popular kit on the forum:
https://magnumpowers.com/product/ornare-et/

Where a Wrangler is concerned, an aftermarket air intake is a 100% waste of money when increased performance is the goal. To increase performance you can install a supercharger, turbocharger, smaller tires, regear both axles to a lower ratio, install a larger engine, or remove all heavy bolt on shit like massive battering ram bumpers. 😊

Where a Wrangler is concerned, an aftermarket air intake is a 100% waste of money when increased performance is the goal. To increase performance you can install a supercharger, turbocharger, smaller tires, regear both axles to a lower ratio, install a larger engine, or remove all heavy bolt on shit like massive battering ram bumpers. 😊
I had a 78 CJ 7, 258 and put a 2 barrel, eledbrock aluminum manifold, and headers on it and it like doubled what it could do. Seems this 4.0 liter at 195 horse is not using what it can.

Reactions: jonlandrum
I had a 78 CJ 7, 258 and put a 2 barrel, eledbrock aluminum manifold, and headers on it and it like doubled what it could do. Seems this 4.0 liter at 195 horse is not using what it can.

How did the transmission, tire size and axle gearing compare?

Theres more than a few differences in the fuel delivery systems. We are 14 years out from the last 4.0L and the best we have so far is a turbo or supercharger, and then some unsubstantiated claims (proven false claims?) about throttle body spacers, cold air intakes, etc.

By now, the cream would have risen to the top.

There are other power mods that might help, but require tuning as well as significant mechanical work. Aftermarket camshafts, performance heads (like Clegg or Edelbrock), poor man's stroker (4.2 crankshaft), porting, etc. For all that effort you might as well build a stroker.

And the strokers do have significantly more power over stock. For example, the Golen 4.6:
https://golenengineservice.com/jeep-engines/
And that's without forced induction. Add PSI to a stroker and you get an easy 400hp...