What is the best brand for rear shocks?

Have you driven with higher end shocks? If not I don’t think you can claim it’s just falling for advertising.

It’s fine to be happy with what you have, but some folks are chasing incremental improvements and shocks and tunes are ways to do that.
There’s no advertising whatsoever. Take a ride in my Jeep and you’ll be singing a different tune. I’d wager money on that.

FYI, my poor remark was merely a joke.

hahaha, I have ridden on tuned FOXs and Kings and IMO I don't think the extra $$$ is worth the ride. It's a Jeep for Christs sake. I'm not a hardcore rock crawler or anything like that, but as a hunter my setup gets me in and out of anywhere I go whether it's rocks, ruts, mud or clay it all works great. Maybe it's just the driver :p

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I would go with the Ranchos over either of those for sure.
Have you used other shocks for your current setup? For example OME, or anything else?

I just installed Rancho RS5000x, but I am really curious if I would even notice a difference if I installed i.e. OME shocks.

I'm asking mostly out of curiosity.

Have you used other shocks for your current setup? For example OME, or anything else?

I just installed Rancho RS5000x, but I am really curious if I would even notice a difference if I installed i.e. OME shocks.

I'm asking mostly out of curiosity.
My last TJ had the same setup and I ran Bilsteins, they sucked. It was like running my 5000X shocks with 50 PSI of air in the tires. I have not run the OME shocks, but I know they changed them recently and most don't like the change.

Reactions: rasband
I don't subscribe to this philosophy, just because it's a jeep doesn't mean it has to drive like crap! But other things being worth it certainly is subjective :)
You can’t win this one, he’s set in his ways. 😉

My last TJ had the same setup and I ran Bilsteins, they sucked. It was like running my 5000X shocks with 50 PSI of air in the tires. I have not run the OME shocks, but I know they changed them recently and most don't like the change.
I’ve heard the bilsteins can be okay if you have a pretty heavy rig, but generally most TJs aren’t so they’re stiff and jarring.

@hosejockey61 I think is moving from bilstein to 5000x and might be able to do a direct comparison as well. I bet his experience will align with yours.

Reactions: TJim
I wish I had the budget or the resources to test a different set of shocks every week. haha! One week Ranchos, next Ome, next bilstein, etc

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
I really wish someone would offer a tuned remote resi for the stock mounts and 3.5-4” of lift. With a 50/50 travel bias.
I guess I didn’t look hard enough. Fox has the performance series with remote resi in a 15.2 collapsed length 10” shock. For the front. Hmmmmm. Who can tune them?

Last edited:
I currently run Bilstein 5100's but they are shot. When I installed them, it was coming from what the PO had which was the pro comp ES3000's which are quite possibly the worst shock on the planet. I also installed a new Metalcloak suspension at the same time. My rig was heavy. Heavy front and rear bumpers with tire and gas can mounts. I also had the large Tuffy storage box in the rear. In my opinion at the time it felt great. It didn't feel squishy like some describe the Rancho 5000x, rather it was just smooth. I also installed an anti-rock. I know that shocks control there feel of the ride so I have to give credit to what I thought was a smooth non-bone jarring ride at the time. But my ride was heavy.

I now have a set of Rancho 5000x's ready to go on as I bent one of the rear Bilsteins. I also have a tuned set of Fox 2.0 RR sitting there waiting to be outboarded. I'm going to run the ranchos until I do though. Right now I just don't have the time.

I will most certainly post back first hand experience when I'm done. I go to Moab at the end of the month and will have the ranchos on for that, so I'll provide both on and off road opinions.

One thing I can say about Bilstein is that when I started shedding weight, the ride became more noticably stiffer and I could feel every bump or crack in the road.

I've run the 5100's and can echo everything said above in regards to the jarring small events, but they feel more planted through corners. I've also run the 5000x's and they are the "much more comfortable" that everyone says they are, but in my opinion make the Jeep feel like it kinda flops around through corners.

Lately I've been getting curious about off-the-shelf FOX's as potentially being a compromise/combination of the two characteristics.

If anyone has any experience with all three i'd love to hear it.

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
I've run the 5100's and can echo everything said above in regards to the jarring small events, but they feel more planted through corners. I've also run the 5000x's and they are the "much more comfortable" that everyone says they are, but in my opinion make the Jeep feel like it kinda flops around through corners.

Lately I've been getting curious about off-the-shelf FOX's as potentially being a compromise/combination of the two characteristics.

If anyone has any experience with all three i'd love to hear it.
I never ran the 5100s but I went from 5000x to off-the-shelf Fox (used, originally from Savvy). The ride quality is much nicer with the Fox. There’s still room for improvement, but for what they are Im very happy with the move.

Edit: I was also on an antirock and the foxes helped with some body roll. However since then I went to a Swayloc which is great, it would have mellowed out the cornering on whatever shocks you run.

Last edited:
I never ran the 5100s but I went from 5000x to off-the-shelf Fox (used, originally from Savvy). The ride quality is much nicer with the Fox. There’s still room for improvement, but for what they are Im very happy with the move.
that's good to hear! Are the Savvy's "tuned" or are they just the right approximate length for savvy lift kits?