What is the best headlight for the money?

Don't forget the harness that allows you to still run the low beams when you turn on the high beams. Makes a big improvement.

Reactions: JMT
Don't forget the harness that allows you to still run the low beams when you turn on the high beams. Makes a big improvement.

But illegal in nearly every state and province if not all of them.

I'm not saying don't do it, but don't be surprised if it results in unwanted attention from other drivers or from law enforcement.

But illegal in nearly every state and province if not all of them.

I'm not saying don't do it, but don't be surprised if it results in unwanted attention from other drivers or from law enforcement.
How is it illegal? Many cars leave the low beams on while the high beams are engaged from the factory. My 2009 BMW 3-series and my dad's 2013 Grand Cherokee do this from the factory.

I think you are confusing the fog lights, which many state inspections (I know for a fact MA is one) will fail you if the fog lights remain on with the high beams.

I got a free set of JK H13 headlights and installed those. In the process, I upgraded the stock connector with these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076JGTB7H/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Then added an adapter from H4 to H13
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073W2HRSC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Stock sealed beam
View attachment 220001

JK H13
View attachment 220002

Overall, I wouldn't say the light spread is dramatically better, but it is noticeably better, and it only cost me $17 and some time.
this is what i did too. bought the housings for $20 and they came with the bulbs. they aren't amazing, but they're a lot better than the stock. and i don't have to remove them to replace the bulb!

Reactions: Irun
How is it illegal?

One example:

California Vehicle Code sec. 24405.

"(a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:

(1) Headlamps.
(2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps.
(3) Fog lamps.
(4) Warning lamps.
(5) Spot lamps.
(6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.

(b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp system shall be considered as one lamp.

(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any authorized emergency vehicle."

I have witnessed the statute being interpreted as follows by several law enforcement officers and by one magistrate:

For a vehicle with a two headlamp system like the TJ the headlights on either low or high beam count as two lamps + two factory fog lamps = the 4 lamp maximum. Altering the vehicle to allow the low beams and fog lamps to stay on with the high beams would increase the number of lamps capable of being turned on at the same time to 6, which would violate the four lamp maximum set by section 24405.

Thus, the factory fog lights would have to be covered or removed on a TJ with the factory headlight harness modified to allow low and high beams to be turned on at the same time in order to comply with the 4 lamp maximum set by section 24405.

Most if not all states have similar statutes.

Many offroad vehicles have more uncovered lights than state vehicle codes allow with no unwanted attention. As mentioned above, I am not telling anyone not to modify their headlight harnesses or how many lamps should be operational at one time. I'm simply providing additional information which might be important to someone who does not want to create probable cause for a traffic stop.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
One example:

California Vehicle Code sec. 24405.

"(a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:

(1) Headlamps.
(2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps.
(3) Fog lamps.
(4) Warning lamps.
(5) Spot lamps.
(6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.

(b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp system shall be considered as one lamp.

(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any authorized emergency vehicle."

I have witnessed the statute being interpreted as follows by several law enforcement officers and by one magistrate:

For a vehicle with a two headlamp system like the TJ the headlights on either low or high beam count as two lamps + two factory fog lamps = the 4 lamp maximum. Altering the vehicle to allow the low beams and fog lamps to stay on with the high beams would increase the number of lamps capable of being turned on at the same time to 6, which would violate the four lamp maximum set by section 24405.

Thus, the factory fog lights would have to be covered or removed on a TJ with the factory headlight harness modified to allow low and high beams to be turned on at the same time in order to comply with the 4 lamp maximum set by section 24405.

Most if not all states have similar statutes.

Many offroad vehicles have more uncovered lights than state vehicle codes allow with no unwanted attention. As mentioned above, I am not telling anyone not to modify their headlight harnesses or how many lamps should be operational at one time. I'm simply providing additional information which might be important to someone who does not want to create probable cause for a traffic stop.
Exactly.

So 2 low beams + 2 high beams = 4.

On all TJs the factory fog light circuit turns off when the high beams are engaged. So what I recommended is not illegal. When you add this harness, the fog lights still turn off when the high beams are engaged like normal. The only difference is the low beams stay on.

I'm simply reporting the relevant statute and how it is frequently interpreted in California. Feel free to explain to a cop why you are right should the occasion arise. Maybe you will be convincing.

I prefer not to draw the attention of LE at all. :cool:
You aren't making any sense. No cop will EVER stop me for this. The harness doesn't do anything that goes against what you stated in your posts. Are you even reading mine?

The LAW states maximum of 4 forward facing lights (my own state is the exact same way).

Low beams + fogs can be on in the low beam setting. Low beams + fogs = 4

When switching to high beams, with the harness installed the low beams will stay on, the fog lights will turn off, and the high beams will come on. That also equals 4, therefore not illegal.

THE ONLY CASE THIS WOULD BE ILLEGAL:

Would be if I modified the fog lights so they could be on with both high and low beam, and therefore I would have 6 lights on, exceeding the legal limit. This harness does not alter the function of the fog lights.

^^ The winner of today's G.K. Chesterton award.

"There is an apostolic injunction to suffer fools gladly. We always lay the stress on the word 'suffer', and interpret the passage as one urging resignation. It might be better, perhaps, to lay the stress upon the word 'gladly', and make our familiarity with fools a delight, and almost a dissipation. Nor is it necessary that our pleasure in fools (or at least in great and godlike fools) should be merely satiric or cruel. The great fool is he in whom we cannot tell which is the conscious and which the unconscious humour; we laugh with him and laugh at him at the same time."

G.K. Chesterton, Charles Dickens (2007)

Last edited:
You aren't making any sense. No cop will EVER stop me for this. The harness doesn't do anything that goes against what you stated in your posts. Are you even reading mine?

The LAW states maximum of 4 forward facing lights (my own state is the exact same way).

Low beams + fogs can be on in the low beam setting. Low beams + fogs = 4

When switching to high beams, with the harness installed the low beams will stay on, the fog lights will turn off, and the high beams will come on. That also equals 4, therefore not illegal.

THE ONLY CASE THIS WOULD BE ILLEGAL:

Would be if I modified the fog lights so they could be on with both high and low beam, and therefore I would have 6 lights on, exceeding the legal limit. This harness does not alter the function of the fog lights.
Nobody will know anyway assuming you are using high beams properly.

Reactions: Zorba and jeepguy03
^^ The winner of today's C.K. Chesterton award.
You're calling me a fool while failing to understand how the harness actually works, I find that ironic. On the back of the packaging it even states that the harness is 50 state legal in how it operates.

Keep living in your fantasy land and in fear of law enforcement I guess. 🤷‍♂️

I like the headlights on my TJ. They are pretty daggone bright. I get flashed quite often by oncoming cars that think I have my brights on.

I've driven a variety of vehicles, maybe not as much as the other members on this board obviously with 40 years of experience on me. But I only ever been flashed by drivers at night when I had my first jeep. The cut off was wrong, and I noticed quickly within the first week that drivers would flash me. I had halogens that weren't working for crap and the po thought let me point it to the sky. Then maybe the second week I've driving I'm passing a tractor trailer on the highway. Right as I get close to the driver side of the cabin the driver turns on his trailer back up lights and I'm utterly blinded for 3 seconds straight. I changed and adjusted my lights the next day.

I'm simply reporting the relevant statute and how it is frequently interpreted in California. Feel free to explain to a cop why you are right should the occasion arise. Maybe you will be convincing.

I prefer not to draw the attention of LE at all. :cool:

You're missing the point.

Low beams + high beams = four lamps = 100% legal. Even in CA.

Most, probably all, cars and trucks with fog lights turn the fogs off when you turn on high beams because the headlights leave the low beams on when you turn on the highs. This is the factory setup.

This thread got me thinking about upgrading.

Guess which one is the stock sealed beam and which one is the Hella/Silverstar Ultra? Looking forward to trying them out at night.

20210124_153307.jpg

I ordered these to go in Hella housings. They look like Beam Techs with out the label. The pictures in the ad use Beam Tech's logo. I also have some JK housings that I may try too with the same seller's H13 LEDs.

CSP H4 9003 LED Headlight Bulbs S1 Series High and Low Beam KIT Fanless | eBay

I got a free set of JK H13 headlights and installed those. In the process, I upgraded the stock connector with these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076JGTB7H/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Then added an adapter from H4 to H13
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073W2HRSC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Stock sealed beam
View attachment 220001

JK H13
View attachment 220002

Overall, I wouldn't say the light spread is dramatically better, but it is noticeably better, and it only cost me $17 and some time.

Be careful if you use those adapters. They are fine with LEDs, but the adapters I have seen use wires that are too small for standard bulbs.

I know its illegal but people put lensed xenons into our round headlights in russian cars,trucks here. I wouldnot do it if you live in adequate country, but livong with wolves makes you also a wolf. Most cars here have eyeball boiling chinese headlights that makes you blind. I dont feel to pay 500$ for non german,non japanese optic lights.

View attachment 219721

More pictures of this vehicle please.

Edit, I found one, but no info.

1611536997632.png

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.