What is the length of fully compressed Currie springs?

06lj

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Does anyone know the compressed lengths of curries 4 inch springs. I found 1 post claiming that compressed to solid the fronts are 8.5 inches.
Thanks

Last edited:
evidently i didn't remember right at all...........sorry bout that.

Last edited:
8.5" front
4.5" rear

Measure the wire diameter and count the winds that stack up and that's the solid height.

Incidentally, Currie bump stops are sized to stop Currie springs from going into bind.
Thank you! That is just what I needed.

Reactions: jjvw
Question, What is the bump stop requirement for curie springs? Or perhaps another way to ask, how much bump stop does Curries bump stop kit add?

Question, What is the bump stop requirement for curie springs? Or perhaps another way to ask, how much bump stop does Curries bump stop kit add?

Currie bumps do not have a hard stop limit, their purpose is to slow the shock travel speed. Meaning your compressed shock is the final limit to travel. When you set up the bumps, the goal is to leave about 3/4" shock shaft exposed at the first contact of the Currie bumps.

Reactions: starkey480
Currie bumps do not have a hard stop limit, their purpose is to slow the shock travel speed. Meaning your compressed shock is the final limit to travel. When you set up the bumps, the goal is to leave about 3/4" shock shaft exposed at the first contact of the Currie bumps.

Kinda missed the question ... If I ran currie springs with stock length shocks, how much bumpstop would I need to keep the springs from binding or keep them happy?

Measuring the front of my LJ, I sit at 13.5" coil length, I have 5" of uptravel and 1" bumpstop extension installed. Based on the figured above, it seems the minimum bumpstop nesessary is about 1". I'd use 2" because it is not good to get springs close to binding. Currie's extended length is 22.6"

22.6-8.5 = 14" Avialable Travel. I'd keep add 1" to compressed coil length for spring life and 1" of tension under droop.

So, like everyone says, these are capable of 12" travel shocks, with a 2" bumpstop I just need to have the shock mounts fabbed to fit 1 12" shock in that space.

Turns out that 2" bumpstop (plus my 1" BL) is perfect for 35's (based on what ive done in the past).

Bilstein 7100's in a short body resevoir are 16.10" compressed. which need a 3" bumpstop or 2" and raise the upper 1". (Just an example, not sold on which shocks to use yet).

The rears will be a mess, because I need to have the spring pad relocated, I cant even begin to calculate anything definitive.

Kinda missed the question ... If I ran currie springs with stock length shocks, ...

Don't be doing that. 🤫

Actually, my first question with that specific setup is wondering if the springs could even achieve ride height before fully extending the stock shocks.

Don't be doing that. 🤫

Actually, my first question with that specific setup is wondering if the springs could even achieve ride height before fully extending the stock shocks.

It was a for instance, to remove shocks from the equation. Maybe I should have said, if there were NO shocks.

It was a for instance, to remove shocks from the equation. Maybe I should have said, if there were NO shocks.

If you want to figure out coil bind, measure the thickness of the wire and multiply that by the number of winds that would stack up when the coil would be fully compressed.

Edit-
Looks like I answered this 3 years ago, in this very thread.

Last edited:
If you want to figure out coil bind, measure the thickness of the wire and multiply that by the number of winds that would stack up when the coil would be fully compressed.

Edit-
Looks like I answered this 3 years ago, in this very thread.

This thread is a lot like herpes.