What is the source of these types of door scratches

Dan T.

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey all
I just finished rebuilding some doors salvaged off a donor TJ I purchased last fall. I replaced inside and outside door handles, window regulators, and painted the inner door panels to match my Medium Camel Tan interior.

The exterior color matched my Jeep already so I didn't have to paint and I am fine with the scratches they came with... for now

I saw two more sets of Jeep doors for sale this week with the same 1/4 circle scratches on the drivers side door. I can't for the life of me figure what those folks did to get those scratches so thought I'd test the knowledge base here.

The marked up photo is my salvage door and the second photo is one I pulled from FB market place. I saw a 3rd blue set of doors with the same scratch.

Any idea was done to cause these?

IMG_5251_LI.jpg

IMG_5249.PNG

Remove the limit strap and see where the front flare contacts the door.

Reactions: Dan T.
I’m lost, but how do the marks line up when the door is opened up all the way, without the door straps?
I initially thought of that but the marks don't match up to my fender flares so I sort of dismissed that theory. I don't have stock flares. I think I'll run by a buddies with stock fender flares and see if that may be it now that you bring it up.

I'll go with the consensus that prev. owner let the door hit the front flare. I bought the totaled Jeep and it had front drivers side fender damage so I didn't have it as an example but it makes sense.

I'll say mystery solved and just live with the scratch for awhile.

Thanks all.

Dan

Here's the TJ I bought so I could harvest the doors. Now that I look closely at the photo, I can see the faint 1/4 circle scratch.

I purchased it remotely w/out an up close inspection. Still a good investment.

41251409_Image_2.JPG