What is the stereo in your TJ? Double, single or maybe basic?

Tigerman

TJ Enthusiast
Ride of the Month Winner
Hey Everyone,

It looks like it is time for me to upgrade the stereo in my TJ. It has the original head unit from 1998. Electronics get old quickly and I don't even remember what a tape looks like anymore, lol.

What do you run in your TJ and why?

Here are some options I was considering... (I would prefer an Android)

For example this one looks pretty good but!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CWLJFVZ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

... double din doesn't fit and I checked out some videos and options and it looks like a pain in the royal b... to make a nice clean install (no way not to butcher something anyway).

This one is a single DIN flip out, but a bit expensive in my opinion
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079GS552G/?tag=wranglerorg-20

This one has all the options but no reviews and a typical brandless unit, so could be a cat in the bag

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GVBGNW5/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Single din that I got from a member on the forum, does the job.

radio.jpg

I have a 40 dollar Walmart radio in my jeep. Don't have to worry about it getting stolen.

My biggest problem is i keep braking the mounts. Been through 3 already.

Might look into the duel din mod somday.
The problem with the flip up ones. They "LOOK" like the will block the vents.

Sony XAV-AX100 unit. Because it has Apple CarPlay, reasonable watts per channel, and because it wasn’t overly expensive $349 I think. Cheaper now.

How was the install? What is a pain? It looks really really nice, very clean. Which bezel kit did you use?

I have a 40 dollar Walmart radio in my jeep. Don't have to worry about it getting stolen.

My biggest problem is i keep braking the mounts. Been through 3 already.

Might look into the duel din mod somday.
The problem with the flip up ones. They "LOOK" like the will block the vents.

I know, I was thinking about that, they do block the vents. The cool thing though is that the vents are not in use all the time and the stereo plays with the screen closed too.

I know, I was thinking about that, they do block the vents. The cool thing though is that the vents are not in use all the time and the stereo plays with the screen closed too.
I run my ac all the time. Top or no top. Them few times i stop at a light i get ax quick blast of ac

Reactions: ac_
Stock AM/FM/CD. Don't care to have my dash destroyed because someone wants my aftermarket head unit.
Good thing you at least have a CD :) Mine has a tape. I feel sorry for the idiots who try to steal a $100-$200 radio, lol. My mama says.. "life is a box of cho... kidding). If you are going to steal, steal millions and from the insurance companies or the banks ;) (joke, don't take it seriously).

Reactions: Jack72
Thumbs up on Crutchfield, they make it super easy to do the install. I got the JVC marine unit with usb and Bluetooth along with JBL speakers and Crutchfield had all of the proper wire and bracket adapters to keep the stock wiring. I also added a flat Boss amplified sub that hides under the back seat from Parts Express for som e added thump. The whole thing almost gets loud enough but I’m deafer than most.

Thanks Edward and IPerk.

Does anyone have any experience running a flip up head unit? The reason why I ask is that those may not be as sturdy as a single piece, especially on a very bumpy Jeep ride.

Reactions: Woodstock67
Sony XAV-AX100 unit. Because it has Apple CarPlay, reasonable watts per channel, and because it wasn’t overly expensive $349 I think. Cheaper now.

I dig that, especially the Apple CarPlay capability. Definitely going to look into this!

Reactions: tomtaylz
How was the install? What is a pain? It looks really really nice, very clean. Which bezel kit did you use?
It wasn’t bad. You have to trim off the plastic ledge to fit the double DIN. 5 minutes with a tin shear. I used the metro harness sent from Crutchfield. Not a fan of that at all. Plastic was super thin. When I tightened the receiver into the harness the plastic broke on 3 of the 4 screws. Ended up using fender washer to have the thing hold together.

I also installed a rear view camera with it. That was an easy install too. I had lots of trouble (had to reinstall 3 times) due to the cheap camera I bought on Amazon that was faulty x 2... but it works perfect now. I’m including a couple pics of that

I am very happy with the unit. Check it out. There are two newer units in that series. But I did not need the features added or the extra cost.

A4219D71-6DC2-4AC2-B27D-E8C916306950.jpeg

BEC4843F-0276-4472-8CBC-2664450AE94D.jpeg

B9D9586F-33F5-4CC2-811E-15F894A94344.jpeg

I’m a Pioneer fan. Crutch field is the way to go, you get all the adaptors you need, great service too. My TJ install was easy. Sound wise, Jeeps are noisy. I put Polk 5.25 two ways in the dash and sound bar. The dash has pods from crutch field, not too bad to squeeze them in.
At 40+ mph the noise takes over (soft top).
There is no bass without a dedicated woofer. I am making a tiny one that goes under the lifted driver seat. I will post photos when I get it sorted out. It won’t entertain the car in the next lane but it should balance the sound out some.

These days choosing a head unit for yourself is personal taste, just like who is hotter, Girl A, B or C.

I love streaming via spotify, so I would tell anyone to get a Kenwood head unit that has a Qualcomm aptX chip. There are a few models available on Crutchfield.

Then, do you want to be able to play CDs? Apple or Android? This is what I currently have.

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/kdc-x700/

Also, if you enjoy tuning the head unit, Alpine has an app TuneIT that is great. You can share files and upload into your head unit.

Last edited: