What is the stereo in your TJ? Double, single or maybe basic?

mine is a cheap with a lot of bells and whistles, 2 usb inputs/chargers, 1 aux in, and bluetooth. But like many it tries to use as few controls as possible so everything is doubled and triple usage. Not user friendly at all, especially if you are moving. Someday I will break down and put a better unit in it. Hell, I might even put a stock one in if I found one cheap enough. :cool:

Being "not that bad" is not a good rating for its usability. It wouldn't be "that bad" if I used it every day but it's bad enough that I need to fiddle with it an inordinately period of time if it's been a month or two since I last used it. Technology/user interfaces/software etc. is what I did for my entire career so I'm not a dull boy. But that Kenwood is just overly complex and tries to do too many things with too few knobs & buttons. I felt the same way about a Kenwood 2m hand-held radio I owned/sold and replaced with an ICOM whose user interface was significantly better.

I'm not here to argue about the UI, but what I meant by "not that bad" was me gently saying it's not difficult whatsoever. There are two knobs to control a lot of functions, from the sound stage, filters, colors, adding/removing inputs.

I'm currently trying to learn digital sound processing, which my amplifer has a UI for - now that is complex.

I understand Kenwood is not simple, but most people won't use all the functions, but there are lots of different functions for different users, who like colors or bass boost, or the mere quality of their bluetooth streaming.

I run a Pioneer DEH-X6700BT in my Jeep from a few years back. Probably about 5 years old at this point. I don't like the fact that it looks new compared to the Jeep, but otherwise it has been flawless. Instantly connects to my phone via bluetooth and the controls are dead simple (at least to me). No problems with it ever.

Original factory radio. I just like how the OEM radio fits and looks
Me too. Besides, even if I had a nice state of the art system unless I cranked it up to an incredibly annoying level I wouldn’t be able to hear it with the top down, tires whirring, and wind blasting on the road and nobody wants to hear my racket on the trails.

Last edited: