What is the strangest food you've ever eaten?

I travel for work and I used to do a lot of it internationally. I’ve eaten kangaroo, Botany Bay bugs, and oysters for the first time in Oz. Biltong, a kind of jerky, in South Africa. The Springbok was tasty. Whale and Puffin in Iceland. Pata, cartilage from a cows foot, in Mexico. As bad as it sounds.
In the US of A, I’ve wolfed down gator, octopus, moose, bear, sushi, venison, squirrel, pheasant, grouse, crawfish, and smoked carp. I‘m also fond of a Village Pizza pepperoni and green olive double decker pizza.

And I was a very picky eater as kid.

• Wow
Reactions: Squatch
Boiled chitterlings, I never did find a Kernal of corn in them though, that's a sign they weren't cleaned out good. Fried they're not so bad, but still not something I'll ever just get a craving for.

Czarnina (duck blood soup) when I was a kid, my grandmother on my mom’s side is Polish and she would make this. She had the live duck in her basement until she was ready to ring it’s neck and make the soup. I haven’t tried anything too crazy as an adult but alligator would be the strangest for me.

A very sweet lady friend of my dad’s fried up some muskrat for us, I thought it was pretty good. But my dad would eat all those old timey vittles, brains and eggs, pigs feet, ox tail, eel. Not me.

The variety of things eaten by some folks (notice I refrained from calling it "food"! ;)) never ceases to amaze me. Imagine the menu we could come up with for the "WTJF Diner"!!! :)

Last edited:
I just love trying new food. I travel more for the opportunity to try new foods than the scenery.
I will try anything once. For some once is enough for others it's more please. Only time I've had bad food was when I've been careless in my cooking or preparation.

I'll eat cooked meat from most any animal, but I don't do bugs. I live and work with folks from all over the world and I've learned to be quite cautious.

I ate pickled Rooster combs once, a long time ago. For the life of me, I can't remember why. Had to be alchohol induced I'm thinking.

• Haha
I had octopus one time.. it was like chewing on a chunk of flavored rubber..
strangest food I’ve ever seen anyone eat by far is pickled pigs feet. A former coworker would get a jar of them . Sit down and eat the whole jar and wash it down with a quart of milk.. 🤢

• Sad
Reactions: TJ Starting
22 years Army here. Ate food that I don't know what it was in Albania and Afghanistan. There was this plate of what looked like yogurt that had a fly on it. The Afghan next to me took his spoon out of his mouth and plugged it straight into the yogurt right where the fly was and ate it then passed it to me. I couldn't do that one.

I have ate octopus, eel, most sushi, crab, lobster, mudbugs, oysters, muscles, clams, squid, cuddle fish (not a fan) on and Conch which is really good. I don't like Lamb, but I eat most everything else. I don't know about eating live bugs, I wont eat any eyes, tongue, balls, or intestines from any land animal unless I was dying.

Reactions: Twopoint