What is this air intake system?

earnjam

I may try to go look at this '98 TJ today and saw this in one of the pictures. It's got the stock filter box, but clearly a K&N tube on it.

All the K&N CAI systems I've seen added use the cone filter on the end, so wasn't sure what this was. I've read enough to know to prefer the stock filter to the aftermarket cone style. Is this one using two filters?

Thanks!

00j0j_avd1phLnePQz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
This is the 2.5 4 cylinder stock air cleaner/filter system. There isn't anything about it that isn't stock. If you were to get this Jeep the best option is to put a good flowing paper filter inside the stock air box.

Just know that it is the 4 cylinder engine and has less HP & TQ than the 4.0 6 cylinder engine.

You can see the K&N logo on the air intake tube. Just wondered why that was there.
they might have installed an OEM type K&N flat panel filter and put that there as a reminder/notification

Yep, I've owned two 4 cylinder TJs before.

You can see the K&N logo on the air intake tube. Just wondered why that was there.

Sorry yes missed that. Like LJ said my guess is that they have a K&N filter in the stock air box. I've had other aftermarket filters in the stock air box housings before.

Thanks for the help @Wildman and @L J !

We'll see how it goes. Based on the pictures, it's a pretty clean and mostly stock TJ, so I was surprised to see that sticker. Seemed like an odd thing to change.

I had a '01 4cyl a few years ago, but wasn't driving it much at all while my sons were infants. Now that they are a little older, I'm back in the market for one.

I've been searching for a 6cyl, but I'm fine with a 4cyl in this case, since this will primarily be for driving around town. I can always sell it later if I find a good one with the I6 😁

Looking forward to being a TJ owner again.

00909_56MIZXth0zXz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Reactions: Wildman