What is wrong with a drop pitman arm?

RYAN17

Okay so a few months ago I noticed that my steering stabilizer was missing the nut and the stabilizer would pop off the joint when I turned the wheel too far. So it wasnt very safe because if I was making a hard turn while driving it would pop off and dangle. So I investigated more and another thing I noticed was when I turned all the way to the passenger side there was some scraping between the part where the tie rod and drag link meet and the bottom of my sway bar link. So my local 4x4 guy who is pretty sharp said I could throw on a drop pitman arm. He did say to me "you shouldn't really do it and a lot of guys will tell you its wrong, but its cheap and it will work for you" . Since then I havent had any clearance issues. Maybe it feels a bit more jolty but honestly I like the feel better because it seems a little tighter. The only complaint I would have about it is my tires do screech when I make a tight turn in parking lots going slow. So can someone explain to me why I am not supposed to have this without a dropped track bar mount?
PS: I do have a double sheared track bar relocation but it doesnt seem like its dropped down very far compared to stock
And another thing that I havent been able to get straight is my sway bar links are always slanted and my sway bar doesnt stay centered (I know its supposed to be allowed to move) but just didnt know if it had anything to do with any of this.

Can you post a clear sharp well-lit (use a flash) photo of your entire front-end from knuckle to knuckle, as close as you can get and show it all, and one more photo that shows your driver's side track bar mount that is on the frame.

To answer the question in the thread title, nothing is wrong with a dropped pitman arm IF you have a dropped track bar bracket to put the track bar back in-line (geometry wise) with the steering.

However, it should also be noted that any company that sells a lift kit (especially at common TJ heights such as 4") that includes a dropped pitman arm (even if it has a dropped track bar bracket) likely has no idea what they are doing and should be avoided.

I agree with what Jerry said though, pictures are needed. Good ones with good lighting and.

IMG_8495.PNG

There is less wrong with a dropped pitman arm if the frame side track bar mount is also dropped.

If it drives right , it is right typically. Personally I wouldn’t worry about the sway bar link angle , my 06 does that .