What it was like for one King of the Hammers competitor...

Jerry Bransford

Too many arguments and personal attacks, I'm done.
Supporting Member
A friend of mine I wheeled the Rubicon Trail with last year, Josh Atteberry, is part of the Kracker Fab Motor Sports team. He's done well in previous KOH years but this year was extra tough for him and his team. He just posted this on FB and it really tells what it can be like for a KOH competitor.

Josh Atteberry is on the right, his bud and teammate Josh Lawyer is on the left. Yep JL saw my camera and just had to give hs pouty look and stick his butt out. 🤣

Josh sticking butt out Josh L. Geoff Kota.jpg

It's a long read but Josh is a great writer and makes it worth the read.

"2021 King of The Hammers Race Recap
This turned into a really long recap, grab a beverage and enjoy.

We headed off to the 2021 KOH on 1/22 this year. We had to make a quick stop in Phoenix, AZ to pick up both 4693 and 1193 from LV8 with fresh wraps on both. After an overnight stay we arrived mid morning on 1/23, the plan this year was to have plenty of time to pre run, recreate a little and be able to put some miles on the new 1193 VW.

The first three or four days were consumed with camp setup and trying to keep everything dry and planted with all the wind, rain and snow. When the weather was clear we were out running 4693 trying to get the new motor broke in. It was immediately apparent that something was wrong with the new motor, we had an extreme amount of blow by coming out of the dip stick and valve cover. We put as many miles as we could on it without it puking all the oil out of the dipstick tube with the hope that maybe the rings just had not seated. Unfortunately, this wasn’t the case and we realized the motor had to come out and get disassembled to see what was going on.

A short trip in to Yucca later and we had a new engine hoist and stand along with a few other needs for rebuilding the motor. We pulled the motor and got it on the stand and in the trailer. When we got it torn down the only thing we found was the clocking on the ring end gaps could be better so we re clocked all of those and put the motor back together.

The following day we got it back into the Jeep, fired it up and immediately found it was doing the exact same thing. At this point we decided not to mess with this motor anymore and found another 4.6 stroker in Indio,CA. The next day Jack ran to Indio while I stayed back and put some miles on 1193 with Jake. Shake down was going great, we had made a few runs with Carl from Shock Talk getting the shocks dialed and the car felt good. After shock tuning was done we went and put some more miles on and ended up snapping a side gear in the trans…. We pulled it back to camp to assess the damage. After getting the motor and trans pulled we found nothing but the side gear broken so we called AZ transaxle and they had a few sets in stock so we asked our buddy Jeremy who was coming out that day to swing by and pick up the goods.

At this point the motor was out of the jeep for the second time, motor and trans were out of the bug, but we had a plan for everything, and it was moving forward. Jack got back with the new motor and we got to work swapping everything over to it to sling it in. The new motor had just come out of someone’s daily driver so we felt good not messing with it and just putting it in. At this point we could install the motor in about 30 min, we got everything hooked up and fired it up. It sounded great so we brought it up to temp and checked everything over. As we got suited up to head out for a test drive I noticed a nice puddle of oil forming under the Jeep. After inspection it was clearly pouring out of the rear main seal. We are assuming that they damaged it somehow pulling the motor, either way the motor had to come back out to replace it.

Another trip to town yielded us all the gaskets, at this point we had been to town more times than any other year combined. We took a break from the jeep and started on the trans for 1193 since all the parts had arrived the night before. We inspected the internals of the trans and installed the new side gear, everything looked great. The nice part about 1193 is everything can be lifted in by hand and it is all extremely simple. After about an hour it was ready to go for a test drive, we put some miles on it at it felt great. The Class 11 race was the following evening (1/30) so we did a final prep on the car, shaved some tires and let it sit so I didn’t break anything else.

This Class 11 venture all started with our buddy Jake Buckley wanting to race the Mint 400. We had discussed building a car last year and it just was not the right time for me to take on anything new. When Ultra4 announced the class 11 race at hammers we reproached the idea and everything fell into place. We found an awesome car for sale, took a road trip to Colorado and here we are. Myself, Jake Buckley and Nick Mazzanti all went in on the bug, the plan is for Nick and myself to switch off driving duties while Jake gets to white knuckle in the co-dog seat.

Saturday morning (1/30), we started the day out again with pulling the motor out of the Jeep. My day was filled with different stuff involving 1193, I don’t even recall what it was at this point but Jack and the Dirty Chonies crew were going to work through Jeep issues while I was doing that.

Since this new motor was out we decided to give our original motor one more shot. We had collected enough parts to completely rebuild and re ring it so we set out to do that. Jack spent the day after getting it pulled tearing it down and inspecting every piece. All progress stopped on the Jeep so we could get down to tech for 1193 right before the race. The car passed and we spent some time down by the camp fire chatting with all our fellow Class 11 people. Being new to the class it was great to be able to meet everyone and check out the different cars. We drew numbers out of a hat right before the race and we drew 8th, we would be doing a land rush start so this should have put us right in the middle of the pack.

After the parade laps we all lined up, we somehow ended up 3rd from the right which gave us a pretty straight shot to the corner. The flag dropped and we hammered down! All 80hp were screaming as we came into the corner, right before the corner I think we all made contact and made the turn about 6 wide door to door. We hit the jump side by side then plowed into the next corner still door to door with everyone. I had never done a land rush start but holy shit was it awesome! Being our first race we spent a few laps just trying to find a comfortable pace for the car so we didn’t kill it. Turns out you can flat beat these things and they keep taking it!

We settled into a good fast pace, with all the cars pulling into pits and off course it was difficult to judge where we were sitting for position so we just kept pushing on. It was amazing the amount of fenders, bumpers, skid plates and other random pieces that littered the track. Around lap 20 we were lapped by 1st and 2nd place, we tried to keep pace with them but just didn’t have the horsepower to hang.

Somewhere around lap 23 the car started to run rough and then lost the muffler so things got a bit noisy. We limped it along and managed to bring it across the finish line, we had no idea where we stood but guessed somewhere around 8th or 9th. We had an amazing time racing this little car, it was refreshing to switch it up a little and race something other than 4693 for a change. After the race we found that the alternator was not charging which is what lead to the running issue.

Sunday morning I received a text from Alan saying they needed us down at the stage for awards in a few hours. I was a bit confused why they needed us but come to find out we managed to pull off a 5th place finish! We may have missed the podium by a few spots but we were still in the money! We are very proud to be able to pull this off with a new to us car with very minimal seat time. We are looking forward to getting out and racing some more this year in the 1193.

After the awards ceremony on Sunday we started back on 4693. Jack had got everything squared away with the original motor and it was ready to go back in. After install we went through our break in procedure and low and behold it was doing the same thing…. Massive amounts of blowby.

We went to bed with plans to go flog on it in the morning and see if by some chance putting a load on it would get the rings to seat. Monday morning we ran it for about two hours, full throttle pulls on the sand hill and many miles through the desert with the only result being Jack covered in oil and all under the car covered as well. We were both pretty bummed at this point but we put this motor in knowing that pulling it again was defiantly a possibility.

Back at camp we set out to pull the motor for a 4th time or maybe 5th I’ve lost track at this point. The new stroker had been taken apart and resealed so we transferred everything over and set it back in the Jeep. Motor fired up and ran great, no issues at all this time. We did some final checks and set out to put time on it, we completed about 50 miles before it started to get dark. We headed back to camp when just outside hammer town the breaker on the fan popped, being dark we didn’t catch it in time and the motor hit 280 degrees…… yea you can probably imagine what was going through our heads at this point.

We got back to camp and it seemed to have a slight miss, knowing that it had gotten that hot we couldn’t just leave it and hope for the best on race day. Once again we went tearing into the motor, thankfully we can do a head gasket in the car. While the head was off we decided why not throw our brand new Edelbrock head on this motor with our roller rockers, along with some fresh brand new lifters.

Everything went back together great, we fired up the motor and it sounded good. We hopped in and took it for a spin, initially it felt good but as the motor warmed up it was running terrible. We limped it back to camp and figured we would rerun the valves now that it was warm. They all seemed good so we started searching for other issues. The motor would run good until it warmed up then it would go to shit. With that we started searching for a heat soak issue, the computer was giving us some weird info also. We spent all of Tuesday and Wednesday swapping sensors, manifold gaskets, anything we could try to get it to run right to no avail. Huge thanks to Muddnutt racing for putting your brains together on this with us and lending us parts to try, along with Matt Mishko for picking up parts on your way in.

After trying everything we took it for another spin and as soon as it warmed up there was the issue. This time the Jeep died and while trying to restart we noticed it turned over like it had no compression at all. We were a bit frustrated at this point and didn’t think anything of it, went back to camp and had thoughts of ghost riding it off the top of fisher or maybe it just happened to end up in Mexico….. after we cooled down and powwowed with everyone it became very apparent what the issue was. We pulled the valve cover, added about .020 lash to every cylinder and guess what, it ran great! The new lifters we put in were bleeding down when the motor was off (this has never been an issue, we always set lash the same way for the last 5 years).
After getting it buttoned back up we went out and ran it through some heat cycles and had zero issues and the motor ran good.

Finally we went to bed Wednesday night with a running car for the first time in a week and a half since we had got to the lake bed. Thursday we went and put more miles on it with no issues, came back to camp and the whole Dirty Chonies crew shook the car down checking every nut and bolt as they always do while me and Jack readied the tools and equipment to start the race the next day. After the car was solid, we loaded chase trucks, Our Crew chief Austin laid out or pit strategy and plan and we all prepared for the start of the big race the next morning.

Race Day (Finally) - We warmed the car, suited up and headed down to line up, We would be starting off the line 26th this year. We approached the start, green flag dropped and we were off rear door open and everything! We took it easy over the jumps at the start after watching everyone send it, we didn’t want to be the guys that ended their race on the short course.

As we headed out onto the lake bed we had moved up 3-4 positions already, we laid into it and managed to grab a few more on the lake bed. Towards the end of the lake bed it got extremely dusty with almost zero visibility, we kept in it putting probably way to much trust in amber lights and the new tracking system but we managed to make it out without issue. We pushed on towards cougar buttes, im not sure at this point how many cars we had already passed but we only got around 2 or 3 more coming into the buttes. Our plan for the buttes is for Jack to always get out and walk in front of the car, to many odd spots that can end your day in a hurry. This year we added Bluetooth comms to Jacks helmet which was a huge help when he was out spotting. We burned through the buttes super clean and quick and continued on into the desert loop.

About 4 miles from the buttes we came up on a rolled car and as we approached they were dragging what looked like a lifeless body from the car. There was no way we could continue on after seeing that so we stopped to assess and see if we could help. Thankfully everyone was coherent and they were dragging him because is leg was more than likely broken. As Jack triaged everyone I assisted righting the car onto its wheels. After confirming everyone was good we continued on.

The car was running great and once again Carl at Shock Talk killed it on the shock tune, it really is insane what this car will do in the desert being a stock car. We settled in to a nice pace that was fast but at the same time not killing the car. We made it all the way around and back into RP1 without issue. We stopped in pit to take fuel and for a once over on the car, everything was good so we hammered down. Coming into home pit everything felt great, we radioed in that we would just be doing a drive by shake down and continue on.

About a mile out the front end all of a sudden started feeling weird, it felt like we had lost a shock. We radioed back with the issue and they were ready as we came in. When we pulled into pit the front driver shock was dumping oil, we had just lost the seal. After looking it over and assessing our option is was decided that we would continue on with it, taking it easy in the desert and get through the rocks until RP2 where hopefully we had a solution. A few miles into the desert it was obvious there was no way this would last long, we went as easy as we could but it was still killing parts with zero dampening. The Dirty Chonies crew had located a shock and pulled it off someones F350 at the pits and were ready for us, all we had to do was make it there.

As we dropped into spooners it was obvious something more was wrong, we worked through spooners the best we could but towards the end it was obvious there was suspension left on the driver front. After getting up out of the trail we found that we had broken the limit strap, which snapped the shock in half, then smashing and bending the coil ultimately loosing it somewhere, this also destroyed our bump and broke it off the frame smashing it into the trackbar. We sat and looked at it trying to develop some sort of plan to continue on, but there was nothing we could do so we decided to call the race there. We drank some water, watched some cars pass surprised because we didn’t know we had even passed any of them, then found a route and started to limp the car back to main. We managed to limp it all the way back to main, it took a few hours but we were able to find some decent trials in the flats to lead us back around.

When we got back we found that we had been leading the race on corrected time for quite awhile and were also physically leading after we passed Contreras at the start of spooners. It was a very unfortunate break to take us out but we will work through it and find what failed and make it better.

This years race was a challenge before the race even started, it was like ground hog day every day for 2 weeks. Thank you to everyone on our team and the McNamara crew that dove in and repeatedly pulled motor after motor and worked through all the issues, picked up parts, and generally there for moral support when times were a little dismal. Everyone worked their asses off this year making sure both of our cars made it to the start line and I appreciate all of you.

Thank you to all of our marketing partners for supplying us with top notch products and service, we look forward to what the rest of the year is going to bring."

Awesome story thanks for sharing. The off-road racing community is filled with awesome people who are more than generous in helping each other live the dream. Also a few bloated ego dickheads like Robby Gordon buy hey, balance right?

I wish I lived closer to this stuff. The time I got to spend in Baja MX, California, and Nevada has been really awesome. Next year I hope these guys get a better shot at it.

Rod Hall told me the secret to off-road racing was to cross the finish line. Preserve the car and set a manageable pace. Don't worry about being the fastest, be consistent. He won overall in more than half of the 50 Baja 1000 races he entered. Must be a winning formula based on the results. Rode hot laps with him back when he was using the H1 as a pre-runner. That thing was badass.

I watched the race and saw them limping with no limit strap... I was amazed they made it as far as they did that way. Great to hear the back story, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Blondie70 and JMT
Only time I ever came close to seeing anything like that was on vacation one year. The girlfriend and I were on a 3 day cruise to Mexico, and the ship docked in the town where they were starting the Baha 500. Or at least I think it was the 500.

The whole downtown was the pits, and you could more or less walk around through the pits checking out the cars and crews. I picked up a Jeep team shirt for my son, who was wheeling his '94 Cherokee at the time, so he was stoked.

It was real cool sitting at one of the local cantinas , sippin on a Corona, eating some local food, and having the race cars blasting up and down the main drag testing their cars, and showing off. Lots of fun and excitement. To me, the best part of the cruise.

Holy run-on paragraph :LOL:

Great story, but it's honestly hard as hell to read with the lack of paragraph structure ;)

Okay, sorry for my complaining! It's a good story either way.
Fantastic story, what a Chinese fire drill with that motor! But paragraphs are a good thing, nonetheless!

Reactions: Chris
Only time I ever came close to seeing anything like that was on vacation one year. The girlfriend and I were on a 3 day cruise to Mexico, and the ship docked in the town where they were starting the Baha 500. Or at least I think it was the 500.

The whole downtown was the pits, and you could more or less walk around through the pits checking out the cars and crews. I picked up a Jeep team shirt for my son, who was wheeling his '94 Cherokee at the time, so he was stoked.

It was real cool sitting at one of the local cantinas , sippin on a Corona, eating some local food, and having the race cars blasting up and down the main drag testing their cars, and showing off. Lots of fun and excitement. To me, the best part of the cruise.
Found some cool pics from Baja 1000 2010. Some class 11 related too.

At the starting line for the "Trophy Trucks" the coolest of the cool if you ask me. We got to waive the green flag for one truck each meet drivers, walk around the tech area. Lots of merch booths and beers I bought my kid a Monster Energy hoody and met a lot of awesome folks including racing legends and the Mayor of Ensenada MX. I think I started Terrible Herbst. Can't find the pic but I have it here someplace, maybe another hard drive.

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

After the start of the race we took a private plane to La Paz to see the finish. Loaded up a minivan with 10 dudes and all our bags and headed way out in the desert to BFG pit #10. Last stop before the finish line. Got to help fuel, fix, and beat the vehicles back into shape for the final leg. The terrain to get here was sketchy enough in a overloaded minivan. The driver of the race rig must be really experience to get that semi out on the course and set up the pit. Lots of tire and wheel assemblies with tags for each race team, huge fuel dump with different types of fuel. The radio relay person was on the roof of the trailer monitoring traffic, drivers would call in a fuel order and tires / repairs and we would pre-fill the fuel cans, line up the tires and be ready for the sound of an approaching engine screaming out the sounds of big HP and high rpms. It was magical.

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

The finish line party went from its normal craziness into complete insanity when the #21 Red Bull Trophy Truck of father and son team Gustavo Jr and Sr Vildosola blazed into the finish gates. For the first time in the history of the Baja 1000 a Mexican racing team captured the overall win with a time of 19 hours and 4 seconds. The locals went absolutely nuts, and we did too. It was the best party ever and lasted until dawn. I drank some much crappy Tecate beer its a wonder I am alive today. The beer girls were hotties and it was like $20 peso a beer with a free should strap cooler if you bought 12. I have a couple of the cooler around here someplace but I cannot find the pictures. Other than these from class 5.

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

Worn smooth out from three days of almost zero sleep and way too many beers, we started to pack up and head home. The finish line was a ghost town, they had torn down most of the barricades and lighting. The official race time was over many hours ago, but I head the unmistakable sound of a VW air-cooled engine and it sounded like it was fighting for its life.

IMG_0368.jpg

Race car #1102 came rolling in on two cylinders with no exhaust. Their carburetor had fallen off miles back and they had to get help from some locals to tie it back on with a metal coat hanger and some zip ties. To me the guys that run class 11 are hero's as much as the guys who run class 1. To be able to run the same course as unlimited buggies with stock VW suspension and a small air-cooled 4 cylinder takes a toughness most of us do not understand. We stood around and congratulated the driver and co-driver for a few minutes and had to haul ass to Cabo to catch our flight back to reality.

IMG_0366.jpg

Sorry to hijack Jerry, but Class 11 is awesome and I had to share this. One of the highpoints in my adventures, and I can only hope to be able to do it again some day.

Notice the wheel bead folded on the drivers rear in the last picture and the consumer BFG KO2 tires. Pretty cool they can survive a Baja race.

Last edited:
I love off road racing...I wish I could do it, but I can't stomach the time off work, the expense, the heartache, etc. Besides, I love my wife, and I know we'd get divorced if I started racing!

In college, I worked pit crew for a couple of guys who had come into town for the Lake Superior Performance Rally. The locals call it the POR (press on, regardless) race. This particular race has a reputation of being the toughest rally race that the SCCA does. Mostly two track forest roads and they are NOT maintained. Anyway, the guys I pitted for were driving in the "everyman" style class (no factory teams) and they're pit crew had to cancel at the last minute. My roommate and I were involved with Formula SAE and we were doing Tech inspections to help out. He happened to be talking to these guys and inspected their car. He volunteered us to pit for them. We drove their van to the various stage locations, helped em fuel up, put lights on and take them off (raced all night). It was an awesome experience. Unfortunately, they popped their engine on one of the later stages and we had to flat tow them 50 miles back into town!

The pro cars are insane. Lancer Evo's, Impreza STI's, etc. Just like the world rally stuff. 300 + HP and they absolutely rip through the woods, at night, through the dust. 100 mph...its crazy. The guys we helped out had an old SAAB 9000 I think. Its been so long I can hardly remember. It wasn't one of the "cool" cars, but they raced it anyway. The "general" race had everything in it. One guy I went to church with raced his MJ that he swapped a diesel into, I saw numerous AWD Dodge Omnis, Ford Probe, Escorts, etc. As long as it passed tech, they'd let you run.

I miss those days...

Reactions: JMT and AMS417
Holy run-on paragraph :LOL:

Great story, but it's honestly hard as hell to read with the lack of paragraph structure ;)

Okay, sorry for my complaining! It's a good story either way.
Oh geez what a bunch of whiners ok I put some paragraph breaks in for you. 🤣 Actually there were paragraph breaks in the original but when I cut & pasted, it took the extra spaces out.

Great thread Jerry. It shows that what goes on behind the scenes is often real tough .... everyone wants to be the guy on the podium, but they don't often see how dedicated winners really are.

Reactions: D M