What music leaves a mark on you?

Them plus I'm a big Rimsky-Korsakov fan too, especially his Scheherazade piece based on the Arabian Tales of 1001 Nights.

There's a great story behind Scheherazade who stopped a Persian king from killing all the beautiful Persian princesses he killed nightly after marrying them. Revenge for his first bride who was unfaithful. She purposely married him to stop his killings. She then told him amazing tales every night after being married that were just long enough so they couldn't be told in a single night. But so stories good the king let her live so he could hear ending the next night. To be followed by another, and another. Read about her, it's a great story. Truly. Then listen to the Scheherazade piece by Rimsky-Korsakov, a former late 1800's Russian naval officer.
Am *VERY* familiar with both the tale and the music. I wore out my mother's recording of it when I was a teenager. Every once in a while, you'll see a Belly Dancer dance to one portion or another of Scheherazade, sometimes with a middle eastern beat superimposed on top of it.

Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" is another fave, so is Dvorak's "New World Symphony". I played French Horn for 25 years...

Am *VERY* familiar with both the tale and the music. I wore out my mother's recording of it when I was a teenager. Every once in a while, you'll see a Belly Dancer dance to one portion or another of Scheherazade, sometimes with a middle eastern beat superimposed on top of it.

Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" is another fave, so is Dvorak's "New World Symphony". I played French Horn for 25 years...
Amazing, I listen to various recordings of it at least once a week and it never gets old.

One more piece that knocks me out is Rimsky-Korsakov's version of Night on Bald Mountain. It was written around the tale of witches who gather annually (Witches Sabbath) on barren rocky Bald Mountain in Russia to entice the devil himself to appear. Spooky stuff that was done up well in Walt Disney's Fantasia animated film too. There are a lot of fascinating stories and tales behind much of the classical music many of us love, many are surprising when discovered. Flight of the Bumble Bee came from 1001 Arabian Tales too, think back to Sinbad The Sailor where that came from... which was even done in old Popeye cartoons lol.

Ok guys you can slap me around on this but this subject is one that has had me in its grips longer than Jeeps have. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Rick Flair
Amazing, I listen to various recordings of it at least once a week and it never gets old.

One more piece that knocks me out is Rimsky-Korsakov's version of Night on Bald Mountain. It was written around the tale of witches who gather annually (Witches Sabbath) on barren rocky Bald Mountain in Russia to entice the devil himself to appear. Spooky stuff that was done up well in Walt Disney's Fantasia animated film too. There are a lot of fascinating stories and tales behind much of the classical music many of us love, many are surprising when discovered. Flight of the Bumble Bee came from 1001 Arabian Tales too, think back to Sinbad The Sailor where that came from... which was even done in old Popeye cartoons lol.

Ok guys you can slap me around on this but this subject is one that has had me in its grips longer than Jeeps have. :ROFLMAO:
I knew a guy who could play Flight of the Bumble Bee on the tuba!

You into Opera at all?

Reactions: Rick Flair

@Jerry Bransford @Zorba I would have never thought you two would enjoy the same music...Jerry do you play finger cymbals?

Some like from Wagner but not much opera otherwise. I'd have to say I don't listen purposely to opera.
I'm not a huge opera fan either - but if I'm in the right mood, the voices are beautiful. Especially if its sung in English - which is rare. Wagner huh? You don't go light, do you? Der Ring des Nibelungen!

Reactions: Brianj5600
Then there's the unexpected:
NOT my usual cuppa - but this one just appeals to me. Probably having a grandfather who was there during the coal wars of winter '30/'31. My late father was a very small child and had dim memories of the goin's on back then.
Having a Father from West Va., and having shoveled my share of coal as a youth, I have a soft spot for anything Bluegrass related. Especially, when Alison Krauss is singing!

I basically listen to only Metal, Nu-Metal and hard rock.

The one album that sticks out is Linkin Park Hybrid Theory. It's the first album I ever bought. I was probably 9yo at the time. I listened to that album front to back countless times. I still have it, actually it's in my TJ now. I love to put it on during a long drive and listen to it with no interruptions.