What should I do to prepare my Jeep for a big trip?

JWjeepSask

TJ Enthusiast
Hello everyone I’m back from my hiatus. I need some advice on what I should do to prepare my Jeep for a huge trip. I’m planning on going 2300 kilometres round trip. It will be mostly backroads until I hit the rocky mountains then it’s about 4 hours of major highway. Keep in mind I have a 2.5l so I’ll be getting flipped off on the highway for driving slow lol. I will also be keeping my soft top and half doors on the whole trip. Just wondering what I should prepare for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KCsTJ
One thing I like to stress more than anything else is cooling system maintenance. If your Jeep is as old as it is with the stock cooling system components, I would do a complete cooling system overhaul (Jeep Wrangler TJ Cooling System Overhaul FAQ) to get your cooling system at peak performance. I bring this up because I would say that a majority of vehicles you see broken down on the side of the road (especially in the hotter months) are due to cooling system failures.

Reactions: EJD and tomtaylz
One thing I like to stress more than anything else is cooling system maintenance. If your Jeep is as old as it is with the stock cooling system components, I would do a complete cooling system overhaul (Jeep Wrangler TJ Cooling System Overhaul FAQ) to get your cooling system at peak performance. I bring this up because I would say that a majority of vehicles you see broken down on the side of the road (especially in the hotter months) are due to cooling system failures.

I’m specifically installing a tranny cooler to help with the 3 speed on the highway. Also a cold air intake to help keep it on the cooler side. Probably wouldn’t hurt to check over the rad hoses and put in fresh coolant.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I’m specifically installing a tranny cooler to help with the 3 speed on the highway. Also a cold air intake to help keep it on the cooler side. Probably wouldn’t hurt to check over the rad hoses and put in fresh coolant.

A cold air intake won't do anything, that's just a big waste of money (see here: Cold Air Intake FAQ), but the transmission cooler will help tremendously!

Before a major trip... be sure to offer as sacrifice to the Jeep gods.. a Toyota Tacoma - 99 or newer, or 2 Suzuki samurai.

Also, check basic fluids, air pressure in tires, condition of radiator hoses at clamps. Most importantly.. how is your beef jerky supply?

Reactions: EJD
Hello everyone I’m back from my hiatus. I need some advice on what I should do to prepare my Jeep for a huge trip. I’m planning on going 2300 kilometres round trip. It will be mostly backroads until I hit the rocky mountains then it’s about 4 hours of major highway. Keep in mind I have a 2.5l so I’ll be getting flipped off on the highway for driving slow lol. I will also be keeping my soft top and half doors on the whole trip. Just wondering what I should prepare for.

I love these types of inquiries.
Whats your route?

Think if your doing backroads, gas stations may be further away than usual so know how far you can go on a tank and prepare if you need to carry additional fuel packs with you. Also like @Chris said, good cooling system is key. Give that all a thorough once over and replace anything that could use replacing. Carry some extra coolant or distilled water with you for sure.

Reactions: Chris
FYI - there is a school of thought that eschews carrying extra coolant and advocates carrying plain tap water instead.

The theory is that our rigs are small making space and weight carrying capacity precious commodities. Water has many uses; coolant only one. If one needs to add water during a trip the minerals in the added water will do no harm in the short term and if it is a serious cooling system failure the coolant is likely to be drained and replaced upon the return home thus preventing any long term negative effects. Also, did you know that plain water is actually better at cooling than ethylene glycol?

Don't overthink preparation for your trip. Making modifications right before a trip sometimes causes more problems unless there is time to work out any bugs. Just be sure that maintenance is up to date, all fluids are fresh and topped off, your belts and hoses are in good shape, charging system working, lights working, brakes adjusted and in good repair, tires in good shape and balanced and aligned, fresh wiper blades, all known mechanical problems repaired. AAA membership is a good thing too, but don't wait to the last minute to get one because there is a hold on tow privileges for brand new members.

Have a safe trip.