What should I upgrade in a stock TJ 4.0 manual?

NYC4Wheeler

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and I thought I'd get some recommendations for a build. I plan on buying a TJ and using it as a daily driver. I live in the NYC area and I want to build a Jeep that will be reliable daily driver especially during the winters. I plan on getting a 3inch lift, preferably with Fox Racing components in order to run 35s. What other things should I do especially regarding the drivetrain? Are Detroit Lockers good for basic offroading and winter driving? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Perhaps a checklist of things to do would be very ideal. Thanks a lot ladies and gentlemen, see you on the trails soon!

Your plan is a couple inches short for 35s. For snow on city streets, lockers are the last thing you want. Look at a limited slip like a tru track.

What specific Fox Racing components do you have in mind?

Last edited:
Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
I personally wouldn't want 35s on a daily driver in the city. If you do plan on increasing tire size I would save your money for regearing as a jeep with improper gearing would not be pleasant to drive on a daily basis.

Reactions: Mikester86
Your plan is a couple inches short for 35s. For snow on city streets, lockers are the last thing you want. Look at a limited slip like a tru track.

What specific Fox Racing components do you have in mind?
I was looking at BDS lift kits with Fox Racing shocks. If not 35s, I'll just do 33s. Do you also recommend upgrading the front diff and the transfer case ? I’m sorry if this sounds dumb, I’m relatively new to the 4WD scene.

For 35s you need 5" of lift which is usually accomplished via 4" of suspension lift and a 1" body lift.

If you intend on off-roading it with 35s, you're going to need a lot of money, probably around 10k to do it right (I'm not kidding either), as you'll need big brakes, stronger axles, etc., etc., etc.

If you only plan to drive it on-road, that's another story.

First you need to tell us what your budget is for this project, as that's going to determine a lot.

I personally wouldn't want 35s on a daily driver in the city. If you do plan on increasing tire size I would save your money for regearing as a jeep with improper gearing would not be pleasant to drive on a daily basis.
I live just north of NYC, in Westchester County. I might just go for 33s because the prices on 35s are high. What gear ratios would you recommend ? I want to put in a Trutrac in the rear diff, should/can I put one in the front as well? Would I have to modify the transfer case as well? Thanks in advance my friend.

A 3" lift is about right for 32s.

Consider a 2" spring with a 1.25" aluminum body lift and motor mount lift to reduce the need for a SYE.

Gears is entirely dependent on your specific engine and transmission.

Fox shocks can be great if the tune is appropriate for your Jeep, but they are a long shock. Travels aren't the best with stock shock mounts.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Its gonna be tough finding a TJ in New England without frame rot. Start looking South (below VA) or out West for a solid foundation to build on. Be wary of any frame that is painted, if a guy minds you hitting the frame with a hammer move on as he is likely hidding something. (I don't mean destruction but a solid inspection.)

Then as others have stated buy it, wheel it, then decide what you want to do with it. But 3" of lift is not enough to properly run 35's.

I live just north of NYC, in Westchester County. I might just go for 33s because the prices on 35s are high. What gear ratios would you recommend ? I want to put in a Trutrac in the rear diff, should/can I put one in the front as well? Would I have to modify the transfer case as well? Thanks in advance my friend.

I believe the ratio you'd want is 4.56, transfer case is fine, you're just messing with the differentials. A truetrac would be good offroad and in the snow, however I would only bother putting one in the rear.

4.56 based on what? What will his rpms be at 75mph?

Uh oh, I suppose I forgot to consult the re-gearing committee.

Do I have to do the math?, I don't use mph😆. I've based my recommendation on 4.56s being the most popular choice I have seen for 33s with a 5spd. The guy sounds like he's more focused on a daily than a wheeler and therefore I didn't recommend any deeper gearing, may not be my choice or yours but it's what I thought he would like. If you really want I can justify myself further by calculating and discussing optimal rpm at given speed with you, but is that really necessary?

With that said I've never run the setup personally and therefore I suppose I could be wrong.

He’s got Robert Redford in his avatar man. Oughta count for something.

What can I say, I liked the movie.

Reactions: AndyG
Uh oh, I suppose I forgot to consult the re-gearing committee.

Do I have to do the math?, I don't use mph😆. I've based my recommendation on 4.56s being the most popular choice I have seen for 33s with a 5spd. The guy sounds like he's more focused on a daily than a wheeler and therefore I didn't recommend any deeper gearing, may not be my choice or yours but it's what I thought he would like. If you really want I can justify myself further by calculating and discussing optimal rpm at given speed with you, but is that really necessary?

With that said I've never run the setup personally and therefore I suppose I could be wrong.

If the Jeep he buys is a 5 speed and he ends up with 33s, then that is a decent recommendation. If not, then 4.56 is incorrect.

Reactions: A. Paul
35's tend to be wide. No good for snow. 35's tend to be M/T. No good for snow. Get some 31's or 32's and narrow A/T or better yet real snow tires. NYC tends to get more icy than big dumps of snow. And when the big snow hits it is hauled out fairly quickly. Snow tires with studs (yes they still make them) are THE best for crappy weather, but are crap on dry pavement. Get tires that at least have the "3 peak rating" and know short wheelbase likes to get the back end loose if driver doesn't do his part. In the old days everyone drove a rear wheel drive open diff beater in the winter which few issues. Now with AWD and traction control and ABS everyone thinks they can drive like its summer and smashed into each other. Good narrow tires and a competent driver are the two most important things.

Reactions: jjvw
See, this is exactly why we have to have a regearing committee, we can't just have folks hauling off and doing whatever .

It's pandelirium.

We might even have to ban certain ratios just to keep a handle on this .

At the forum roundtable this summer i'm telling Chris we need to tighten up on it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it. Would I avoid having to upgrade the axles if I buy a Rubicon trim TJ from 2003-2006? I’m definitely going to buy one down south or out west. What frame protection would you recommend when I eventually get the Jeep? Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it. Would I avoid having to upgrade the axles if I buy a Rubicon trim TJ from 2003-2006? I’m definitely going to buy one down south or out west. What frame procreation would you recommend when I eventually get the Jeep? Thanks in advance !

Do you need lockers? Do you want a 4:1 transfer case? If no, especially on the t-case, then there is no benefit to a Rubicon other than the ability to run 5.38 gears to satisfy the mediocre auto trans you might also get with it.

Last edited: