What survival get home supplies do you carry?

Jacket4256

TJ Enthusiast
I'm curious on what people or if people take with them when they go out on trails? I have been thinking about putting together a survival/get home bag for the Jeep when I am out and about in the middle of nowhere with no service not necessarily on a trail wheeling, but maybe a forest/fire access road, or just a little two lane up in the mountains.

So curious what everyone brings that is not dedicated to wheeling or recovery for the jeep?

Lots of first aid gear... bleeding control and a lot more stuff than most people carry.

Water purifier. MREs. Powdered Gatorade.

Axe. Tools, recovery gear, radios and all that usual stuff.

Snow shoes in the winter...along with my zero bag and snow pants.

Always have a pack with me. Always prepared to walk all the way home. Only had to do that once...90s...my 69 Chevy K20 truck...ran 30 miles...I was younger then...

-Mac

Toilet paper, wet wipes and a shovel. Stuff to start a fire; matches lighter and some type of fires starting aid such as one of those magnesium/spark devices and trioxane(?) bars/tablets

Spare tire, spare front axle shafts, spare driveshaft u joints, spare brake hose, spare serpentine belt, a few tools to fix this few things in capable of, and probably the most important since I drive to most of the trails -> AAA gold account. I also have to small first aid kits. Rain coat, fleece jacket, headlamps, usually don’t go out without a good bit of water and some snacks. I usually wheel at off road parks, not so much off in the cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take my day pack whenever I go wheeling, which contains survival essentials (food & water, rescue beacon, first aid kit, outerwear, compass, headlamp, knife, water treatment, bivy, etc).

In addition, I pack:
  • Extra water & food
  • Saw & shovel
  • Sturdy shoes/boots
  • Sun hat
  • Phone/charger
    • Mapping app with useful layers related to survival pre-downloaded: roads, trails, cell coverage

Reactions: pc1p
I'm curious on what people or if people take with them when they go out on trails? I have been thinking about putting together a survival/get home bag for the Jeep when I am out and about in the middle of nowhere with no service not necessarily on a trail wheeling, but maybe a forest/fire access road, or just a little two lane up in the mountains.

So curious what everyone brings that is not dedicated to wheeling or recovery for the jeep?

When I do a "quick trip" as you're referring to and not necessarily fully packed with all my gear, I at a minimum have a few small Pelican-type cases stuffed under the driver and passenger seats. I keep them there permanently for the exact reason you are asking this question. Sockets, first aid, survival (water purifier, fire starting, etc.), tire repair, random parts/supplies, etc. The only things I need to consciously pack before I head out are water, snacks, outerwear and my recovery bag.

Toilet paper, wet wipes and a shovel. Stuff to start a fire; matches lighter and some type of fires starting aid such as one of those magnesium/spark devices and trioxane(?) bars/tablets

Cell phone is the main one. I do have recovery gear and first aid as well though. Recovery gear lives in the Jeep - First aid and/or trama (Ifak) kit generally get packed into the vehicle I am using or are in/attached to my go bag (I only have one first aid kit, but have 2 trama kits - eventually maybe I will make a trama kit for each vehicle, but they cost more than most generic first aid kits.

Last edited:
Along with the other great suggestions I always carry a decent pile of cash, it's been helpful over the years. I also carry plenty of water.

That’s what I was going to say- money-You can buy yourself out of almost anything🤣

I always try to carry a tow strap and basic tool kit in any vehicle - and a tire plug kit.

I carry more for the trail but try to keep those things around and some jumper cables all the time.

I’m not trying to be smirky and I can speak for a lot of the guys on here- But the best insurance is to not have a problem to start with and the best way to prevent that is a well-maintained vehicle- We have a lot of guys that know how to be prepared but they also rarely need to be....At the same time freaky stuff can happen to us all ....For instance I even carry an extra battery terminal end- had one nearly fail once.

Firearm and extra ammo

Water and extra containers…of water.
Security and water I can go 2.5-3 miserable Fing days.

Sure fire light and batteries.

Appropriate clothes for a walk, usually hike boots there when you’re tired ankles get lazy. Dam ankles.

Knife
2 or 3 MREs and multiple bags of beef jerkey.

Lifestraw

Lighter (but never count on fire, I’m in Texas, starting a Forest Fire that kills is not worth me being cozy.

Eno (tiny hammock) and Straps

Glow sticks.
Small cooking pot/cup

I have small solar, that can charge a night vision battery and I’m getting NV soon.

I read “Going Home” by A. American (actually listened to it) and got me really thinking.

I have a go bag and weapons and a 4 day walk to a ranch, with a windmill water well and deer all over, and hogs and more firearms and ammo. Can feed my family if we get there, just have to make it, and the majority of the walk would be along a small river. So my perspective is skewed after reading that.

Reactions: Plumber1