What TJ should I buy?

hey you guys would buying a YJ be too old or are those still good jeeps to purchase a i6 YJ i found one that is selling for 4k it honestly sounds really cheap seems to be in fair condition

Reactions: JMT
4 cylinder is slow but for daily It’s good driving in city streets, it won’t be ideal for freeway. Soft top is nice but noisy(er) than hard top. Looks cooler though. Wave at other jeepers even if they don’t. Try to avoid rusty ones. But once you get a Jeep, prepare to spend more money as it requires constant upgrading.
how is a 4 cylinder for offroading or hitting some trails and uphills etc.
?

or you recommend just looking for a 6 cyl

hey you guys do these jeep tjs really sell this fast geeses

i have been talking to jeep owners left and right and they all last only 2 days in the market when they are gone i spoke to one guy and 2 hours later the jeep was sold

out of the 8 people i was trying to contact i was down to just 1 cuz all the rest sold witihin hours .
geese lol

there isnt not one jeep tj 6 cyl in my 100 mile radius
and if there is they want 10k plus ive seen some for 14k 15k for a tj and geeses christ thats way out of my price budget

or did these just become super popular and i decided to buy one at the wrong time lol

or are they always going to be in this high demand ?

i honestly quit searching for this month lol i think ima give it a shot next month cuz geeses 2 weeks straight of looking and they sell within hours lol

geese lol
7F6A9964-F16A-400D-9C5A-2673FD1FAE4E.jpeg

hey you guys would buying a YJ be too old or are those still good jeeps to purchase a i6 YJ i found one that is selling for 4k it honestly sounds really cheap seems to be in fair condition
I’d say look for a more stock Jeep.
If you like the YJ and how it rides I say go for it. As stated avoid rust. I’m no jeep expert but a lot of people do like the YJs. A lot do hate them, the square head lights messes with people. You can still get the 4.0 in a YJ. The TJ has a better ride because it uses coil springs where the YJ uses leaf shackle springs which is usually a rougher ride. As a DD I would prefer a manual but for off roading the auto gives you better control and comfort IMO.

I’d say look for a more stock Jeep.
If you like the YJ and how it rides I say go for it. As stated avoid rust. I’m no jeep expert but a lot of people do like the YJs. A lot do hate them, the square head lights messes with people. You can still get the 4.0 in a YJ. The TJ has a better ride because it uses coil springs where the YJ uses leaf shackle springs which is usually a rougher ride. As a DD I would prefer a manual but for off roading the auto gives you better control and comfort IMO.

so yeah i started to aim my self more towards a stock tj instead of a lifted one with dana this dana that and lift kit and these tires etc.

i started to search more for a stock tj and first is hard to find a 6 cyl 4 you can find a bit easier and for alot cheaper

yjs i did find 1 or 2 but it was like very bad shape no ac/heater and like the interior was really really jacked up

the only good tj i found here that is still for sale is 9k for it is a 2000 and it has 144k miles on it

idk if thats a good deal again im new to this jeep world

what would you guys recommend a good price point should be for a tj

i like yjs too but i think they are just a bit more dificult to find with ac/heater and in decent condition and stock lol

reason for ac/heater is for my wife she is the one that keeps mentioning that she wants that lol

if it was up to me lol i wouldnt care maybe ...

so yeah i started to aim my self more towards a stock tj instead of a lifted one with dana this dana that and lift kit and these tires etc.

i started to search more for a stock tj and first is hard to find a 6 cyl 4 you can find a bit easier and for alot cheaper

yjs i did find 1 or 2 but it was like very bad shape no ac/heater and like the interior was really really jacked up

the only good tj i found here that is still for sale is 9k for it is a 2000 and it has 144k miles on it

idk if thats a good deal again im new to this jeep world

what would you guys recommend a good price point should be for a tj

i like yjs too but i think they are just a bit more dificult to find with ac/heater and in decent condition and stock lol

reason for ac/heater is for my wife she is the one that keeps mentioning that she wants that lol

if it was up to me lol i wouldnt care maybe ...
I think this is the best for a new person wanting a TJ.. they are gunna ride pretty good cause someone else didn’t screw it up with body lift and spacers and to big tires.. etc... you won’t loose any money on it if it turns out to be something you don’t like.. cause jeeps aren’t for everybody.. especially the older ones... they don’t ride like cars and it takes a lot on money to lift and improve to make it ride like “stock” after you alter it.. so get a stock one sport or Sahara package, check the frame and leaks and you won’t lose any money... unless you start modifying it... then you get addicted!

The blue one is probably as nice as you will find for 7500, if it is well maintained and has no issues, and can pass California emissions.

You aren't in danger of paying too much, you are in danger of paying too little, and that brings it's own challenges.

I'm not trying to sound condescending, do what you can afford , but if you don't want to spend a lot , you need to make dead sure that you don't get in a position where you spend 7000-8000 and then need 5-6,000 more to fix it.

We see this happen.

@Hog is right, and he's a smart buyer....I'd have 4 TJ's for what I have spent if I listened to him the last 2 years.

2.5 liter 4 cylinders abound in that price range. They are typically very clean, and underpowered.

Good luck.

Reactions: Hog
Choices, depend on why you are buying it.

For a daily driver or second car driver with few limits a Sport with the 4.0L and your choice, clutch or no clutch will be a fabulous all around choice. Most of those came with 3.07 rear end ratios which are fine around town, the beach interstate on kinda stock tires.

The next best or better choice would be a Sport with the big wheel option giving you a 3.73 rear end ratio and Dana 44 rear end. This might be the best buy. NOTE an LJ will give you the same ratio and rear end. 3.73 ratios let you do tons of mods with out sacrificing too much performance. PS almost every Wrangler mod adds weight which hurts performance. We are the anti thesis to a sports car.

The next option, Rubicon gives lockers, a huge plus for wheeling anywhere. I swear given the choice od lockers or a winch,,, I'd pick lockers first BUT the Rubicon also gives a 4:1 transfer Case Low Range. The Sport is a 2.72:1 ratio. I have had a few Wranglers with the 2.72:1 Transfer Case and loved them. My Rubi with the 4:1 I kinda hate. It was built for rock crawling. I live in the forest and end up starting in 2nd or 3rd gear. The worst part is 4:1 is incredibly slow. 1st gear on a dusty trail will blow dust in front of the Jeep. AND you will often need to shift to 4HI just to get home before dusk. Honestly my next TJ will be a Sport with lockers.

Then there is the 4 cylinder SE. It is fabulous on a trail, great in town, and handles the highway OK. Interstate, 75mph, not so well. Long highway trips, not so well. Claim to fame for the SE is an ultra light beach, trail rig, grocery getter. The best mods on the SE reduce weight. If you want to add bumpers, winch, tire carrier, overhead rack, jerry cans, farmer jack, look to the Sport or Rubi. You need a 4.0L once you start adding weight, tires included. 33s on an SE add weight, not the best choice. But 31s ?? great SE "upgrade".

4 liter 6 cylinders is underpowered too. Don’t go for less.
Exactly. Man mine frustrates me ...another 50-75 horsepower would be sooooo good.

I've had 7 4.0 s or 258's...honestly they work their best in the automatic with a torque converter.

how is a 4 cylinder for offroading or hitting some trails and uphills etc.?
Off road, on forestry service roads, thru ditches, trails, the 4 cylinder topless and stripped rules. It is a great off roader. The only place an SE suffers is on pavement with a 75mph speed limit.... and only if you are going a few hundred miles.

Around town, on trails, on soft sand, 4 angry squirrels might beat the heavier 4.0L. Keep it light weight.

Reactions: TJRick
Wranglers are great things to sell, they hold value and sell fast.
That said they are the worst things to buy, they hold value and sell fast.
Very true. I just sold a 2006 Rubicon with a salvage title , for $13,500. And it wasn't even for sale. The guy was not going to let up.