Mopar7014

TJ Enthusiast
I have a stock 97 TJ. I have new 32x10.5x17 MT tires already. I want to lift it a little. I will not be climbing rocks or mudding. Just a toy. To keep a nice look with these tires what size lift should I go with w/o it looking funny?

I'd go 2". Lots of different 2" options out there depending on the age of your current suspension.

Reactions: bostontj
Be aware that not all 2" lift suspensions give 2" of lift. Most will give you more than that unless you have additional weight added. Don't be surprised if a 2" lift kit give you 2 1/2 - 3 1/2" of lift on a stock, light TJ. Also be aware that there are actually as many things to check at low lift heights as there are at 3"+ of lift. Something that looks rather simple on the surface gets complicated fast, so please do your due diligence.

I would go mild and get the 2.5" OME lift. Best 2.5" lift for the money hands down.

Reactions: StG58
I would go mild and get the 2.5" OME lift. Best 2.5" lift for the money hands down.
Second the OME lift idea. Check out DPG Offroad for sound advice from an OME vendor (call) or one of the vendors on here.

A lot depends on what you do with your TJ. On road? You can get away with a budget boost. Anything more than that, a suspension set up is the way to go. Your budget plays into it as well. You can spend a whole lot of time and money doing the perfect 2" lift. You don't have to, but you can. Ask me how I know.

Oh, and your gender is pretty immaterial to lifting a TJ 2" or to most of the members here at this site. It's like your shoe size, might be nice to know, but not particularly useful to the subject at hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and bostontj
Second the OME lift idea. Check out DPG Offroad for sound advice from an OME vendor (call) or one of the vendors on here.

A lot depends on what you do with your TJ. On road? You can get away with a budget boost. Anything more than that, a suspension set up is the way to go. Your budget plays into it as well. You can spend a whole lot of time and money doing the perfect 2" lift. You don't have to, but you can. Ask me how I know.

Oh, and your gender is pretty immaterial to lifting a TJ 2" or to most of the members here at this site. It's like your shoe size, might be nice to know, but not particularly useful to the subject at hand.
Lol...thanks! I will just be driving it on flat pavement. As for a budget...I think approx $700-$1000 max.

Oh man, in that case I'd just put in a good quality budget boost and call it good. That should put you under the budget range you're talking about and be plenty sufficient for your needs. Plus there is no drama involved. Another plus is that you will get exactly the lift you ordered. You could recruit some mechanically inclined friends and do it in the driveway on a weekend. Or have it installed by a reputable 4x shop and eliminate all drama. Message @AOR and see what he can set you up with. The simplest way would to be to drive into a local reputable 4x shop, point to the TJ and say "That. 2" higher. For street use only."

Reactions: Stinger
I'm not advocating for this vendor or this budget boost kit, but this is probably what you are looking for.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16114_0152.htm

$428.99 plus shipping. @AOR can probably set you up with this or something similar very easily. Don't know what shop rates are in your area, but it shouldn't take much to get this thing installed other than the normal rear upper shock mount trauma and rusted nuts and bolts to deal with.

Reactions: Stinger
Oh man, in that case I'd just put in a good quality budget boost and call it good. That should put you under the budget range you're talking about and be plenty sufficient for your needs. Plus there is no drama involved. Another plus is that you will get exactly the lift you ordered. You could recruit some mechanically inclined friends and do it in the driveway on a weekend. Or have it installed by a reputable 4x shop and eliminate all drama. Message @AOR and see what he can set you up with. The simplest way would to be to drive into a local reputable 4x shop, point to the TJ and say "That. 2" higher. For street use only."
I have a very mechanical husband and son so that's not a issue.

I'm not advocating for this vendor or this budget boost kit, but this is probably what you are looking for.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16114_0152.htm

$428.99 plus shipping. @AOR can probably set you up with this or something similar very easily. Don't know what shop rates are in your area, but it shouldn't take much to get this thing installed other than the normal rear upper shock mount trauma and rusted nuts and bolts to deal with.
But would this be safe?

Did you have to change anything else with it? What system do you have?

The PO or maybe the original owner had the lift installed. That said its a Rancho 2" spacer lift that may be 10 to 15 years old. It looks to have 4 shocks, 4 spring spacers, and possibly longer bump stops. That's all I can see.
I don't know if Rancho even makes this lift anymore.

Reactions: Mopar7014