What triggers the check gauges light?

Jmr17320

TJ Enthusiast
So I have an LS swap 2003 TJ. But I am using the Jeop computer to run the gauges and lights. My CEL is on all the time based on this.

My question is focused on the “check gauges” light. Does anyone know what triggers this light? When I start my jeep, the CEL is on (like always) and then a minute later the “check gauges” lights up, but will go off after a few minutes?

Oil pressure gauge is good
Temp gauge is good
E brake is off

Maybe it is the CEL that is tripppng it?

You can pull up the FSM under the resources section and check out the instrument cluster section, it details how it all works.

Cycle the ignition from off to on 3 times without starting the engine and the check gauges code will be show in the odometer display.

Only seen mine a couple of times but I’m thinking my check gauges light comes on when I hit the low fuel level. I don’t recall a low fuel light?

Reactions: tr21triton
Only seen mine a couple of times but I’m thinking my check gauges light comes on when I hit the low fuel level. I don’t recall a low fuel light?

Well, you have a 97, and those are different, so I don't know about it. My 06 has a chime and then the low fuel light by the gas guage comes on.

If you remove the bulbs I guarantee ya that will stop it from coming on .... honestly though it sounds like you have a gauge thats reading slow like it takes the oil pressure a minute to come up or something like that. just throwing this out there but if you battery is old and starting is draining it down and it takes a little while for the voltage to come back up

I only ran into it one time, crawling up a steep pass in the San Juans when weather was kind of warm, while blasting the A/C. Turned off the A/C and it cleared.