What type of coolant should I add?

Maincos

I’m new to Jeeps and cars in general. Just bought a 2000 wrangler sport and i noticed yesterday it is pretty low on coolant. The problem is that I don’t know what type of coolant is in there currently. It’s green but from what I understand green can’t always mix with green. Or can it? I really would like to drain out what is in there and put the mopar stuff in there but if I do that will I have to flush everything completely or is draining it and refilling good enough?

Thanks for any help!

Reactions: qslim
You'll benefit from doing a flush even if just to establish a known track record of maintenance. You'd be fine with doing a distilled water only flush but if you have the time I'd recommend also doing a couple of chemical flushes to clean up your cooling system.

I've flushed with Prestone followed up by Thermocure with good results.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9JNHWM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R74I5UY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Having a funnel helps with aim and preventing overflow but isn't required:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A6AS6LY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

You'll benefit from doing a flush even if just to establish a known track record of maintenance. You'd be fine with doing a distilled water only flush but if you have the time I'd recommend also doing a couple of chemical flushes to clean up your cooling system.

thank you, sir

X2.

Then fill it with zerex g05 coolant

That's what I use too. It meets Mopar spec so it's compatible with the fluids that are "supposed" to be in the Jeep so in the future there should be no question about what's compatible. Just keeps things easier imho.

I’m new to Jeeps and cars in general. Just bought a 2000 wrangler sport and i noticed yesterday it is pretty low on coolant. The problem is that I don’t know what type of coolant is in there currently. It’s green but from what I understand green can’t always mix with green. Or can it? I really would like to drain out what is in there and put the mopar stuff in there but if I do that will I have to flush everything completely or is draining it and refilling good enough?

Thanks for any help!

Congrats on your purchase. I don't mean to fill you with dread, but I always tell this to new 2000 and 2001 owners: be sure to monitor your coolant level. The 00 and 01 model years had a defective cylinder head that is prone to cracking between cylinders 3 and 4. It doesn't happen to most people, but it happens often enough that it's a problem. The first symptom is unexplained loss of coolant, so just keep an eye on it.

You need to do a full cooling system flush as mentioned above, then fill it with the proper coolant so you have a maintenance record for what was done, when it was done, and that it was done right.

Your 4.0 needs ethylene glycol or better to work properly, that's probably exactly what you have. Just don't add propylene glycol and you'll be fine. The green stuff needs to changed every two years so flushing and starting over is a great idea. Zerex G05 is a good choice because it is totally compatible with ethylene glycol so not only will it mix with what you have if you flush and then are stuck in the boonies and only find the green stuff you can add it and not worry about screwing things up.

Reactions: Mr. Bills
Hm
Congrats on your purchase. I don't mean to fill you with dread, but I always tell this to new 2000 and 2001 owners: be sure to monitor your coolant level. The 00 and 01 model years had a defective cylinder head that is prone to cracking between cylinders 3 and 4. It doesn't happen to most people, but it happens often enough that it's a problem. The first symptom is unexplained loss of coolant, so just keep an eye on it.

Oh wow good to know thanks for the heads up

Without knowing what is currently in there it's best to just add distilled water to bring it back up to the full mark. When you can, flush it and refill it with a 50-50 mix of distilled (only!) water and something like Zerex G-05 which is a superb HOAT coolant.

Toximus - You do the Prestone first? Then the Thermocure for how long? ONce you drain out the Thermocure the you fill it back up with 50/50 Distilled Water and G05 coolant?

Without knowing what is currently in there it's best to just add distilled water to bring it back up to the full mark. When you can, flush it and refill it with a 50-50 mix of distilled (only!) water and something like Zerex G-05 which is a superb HOAT coolant.

He's in Michigan.

Toximus - You do the Prestone first? Then the Thermocure for how long? ONce you drain out the Thermocure the you fill it back up with 50/50 Distilled Water and G05 coolant?

To be perfectly honest, I don't know what flushes work and what doesn't. So I try to cover my bases. This is my theory: The Prestone is used primarily to remove oils, dirt and grease that may have found it's way into the system. The Thermocure is used to remove rust and mineral build up in the system. You'll need 1 bottle of each.

Always collect and properly dispose of the coolant, chemical cleaners, and the junk that comes out of your radiator.

First fully drain the system and flush it once with just distilled water to remove coolant from the half of the system that didn't drain (it costs more, but I don't use hose water even for flushes). You don't want coolant in with the chemical cleaners. Every time you start the engine for the following steps you need to allow the coolant to burp — a funnel helps so it doesn't go everywhere.

I then do the Prestone following the instructions on the bottle (run for 3 days and get it up to temp several times or something like that) and fully flush with distilled water after to fully remove the chemical.

Then in goes the Thermocure following the instructions (run engine for an hour trip or something like that) and flush with distilled water until the water comes out mostly clear (it never comes out as good as it went in). If you need more distilled water go on trips to the store to buy more with just the distilled water in the system. If it doesn't start clearing up after 20 gallons you probably have a lot of build up or somebody used leak stop in the system before and it's breaking up. If you need to, use another bottle of chemical flush, replace parts, or whatever is necessary to fix it — I had one that needed a heater core after running chemical flush because the PO used leak stop.

Once you have just distilled water in the system drain the radiator and add the coolant concentrate. Dump the overflow bottle and pour in the mix (look at the chart on the bottle, you may want to do a 60/40 mix or something else). Let it all mix up by running the engine for a while and then use a coolant tester to test if the mix is correct (I don't have one that I recommend. I normally buy 2 different styles cheaply from the auto parts store in case one isn't accurate). Only test the mix through the radiator cap — the mix in the overflow may not be the same. You can compare the mix in the engine to the mix you made in the bottle to know if it's correct. Add or subtract coolant/water until you get the mix where you want it. Lastly, check the mix again in the overflow.

It's a pretty simple job after you've done it once, but it's always messy so plan it for a warm day when you can be outside.

And it's 46 degrees there today and winter is over. He can add as much of the distilled water I suggested as needed until he can get the time to drain/flush his coolant and replace it.

Meanwhile I'm 15 minutes from the border of MI and we've gotten a few inches today. Apparently I should move.

Meanwhile I'm 15 minutes from the border of MI and we've gotten a few inches today. Apparently I should move.
Maybe you're not getting what I suggested, unless you're just trying to cause an argument. I said add enough distilled water to bring it up to the full mark, I did NOT say to replace his coolant with distilled. The OP said his cooling system is low, not empty, and asked what he could add. The only thing he can safely add, since he doesn't know what is currently in his cooling system, is distilled water. And if you weren't aware, it can snow when it's above freezing. Adding distilled water to bring his cooling system to the full mark is the safest thing he can do until he can flush and refill it.

Reactions: Apparition
Not looking for an argument, but I am looking for Spring. I've got an ice fishing hole I'm waiting to turn into a swimming pool.

IMG_20200305_160251.jpg

If you don't know the current mix in his radiator or where he lives/travels/parks overnight in MI how do you know he won't crack a radiator or worse a block? Maybe the PO has been putting in water too?

And it's 46 degrees there today and winter is over. He can add as much of the distilled water I suggested as needed until he can get the time to drain/flush his coolant and replace it.

I'm in SE Michigan. If winter is really over, you could have fooled me ... my 5:00 am walk this morning was in 25* temps. Friday's overnight lows will be near 20*. He's probably still good to go, but we aren't done with freezing temps here.

Thanks for any help!

Good looking TJ, congrats!

x3 or 4 to what others posted about starting fresh when you buy a vehicle this age. It's always a good practice to start fresh so you can get a good maintenance baseline with all your serviceable fluids (unless you already have a good history on it). I like do a coolant flush, change the oil/filter, and change the driveline fluids (trans, transfer case, differentials). Inspecting the air filter, spark plugs & distributor cap is always a great idea too. That'll give you peace of mind that the fluids are what they should be and it's also a great way to get to know your TJ!

If you're new to vehicle mx you're the right place, there are write-ups on almost everything and lots of knowledgable folks to help you get it all done.

Good looking TJ, congrats!

x3 or 4 to what others posted about starting fresh when you buy a vehicle this age. It's always a good practice to start fresh so you can get a good maintenance baseline with all your serviceable fluids (unless you already have a good history on it). I like do a coolant flush, change the oil/filter, and change the driveline fluids (trans, transfer case, differentials). Inspecting the air filter, spark plugs & distributor cap is always a great idea too. That'll give you peace of mind that the fluids are what they should be and it's also a great way to get to know your TJ!

If you're new to vehicle mx you're the right place, there are write-ups on almost everything and lots of knowledgable folks to help you get it all done.
Thank you! I can tell this is an awesome community!