What would the purpose of the square tubing be?

Swede has a TJ

I just bought a 2000 TJ Sport.
It has progressive springs and sits a bit higher than my first Jeep.
It has a 1" square tubing spacer on both sides of the belly skid plate.
I don't believe it has any type of lift other than the bigger springs.
My question is. What would the purpose of the square tubing be?

I just bought a 2000 TJ Sport.
It has progressive springs and sits a bit higher than my first Jeep.
It has a 1" square tubing spacer on both sides of the belly skid plate.
I don't believe it has any type of lift other than the bigger springs.
My question is. What would the purpose of the square tubing be?
To lower the TCase to avoid driveline vibrations.

When you lift the Jeep >~2” it will induce vibes. A cheap solution is to lower the TCase skid which means you lose clearance. In the 2-3” range you can sometimes avoid lowering the skid by installing a 1” motor Mount lift. The best way to fix the problem is to install an SYE (slip yoke eliminator) and DC (double cardan driveshaft).

Welcome!
Probably to drop the transfer case and eliminate/decrease driveline vibration caused by the increased angles with the lift. An SYE kit and double cardan driveshaft are common solutions to bring the case back up and keep the vibrations down. Or you could save dollars and leave it as is if it doesn’t vibrate and you don’t need the clearance for off-roading.

To lower the TCase to avoid driveline vibrations.

When you lift the Jeep >~2” it will induce vibes. A cheap solution is to lower the TCase skid which means you lose clearance. In the 2-3” range you can sometimes avoid lowering the skid by installing a 1” motor Mount lift. The best way to fix the problem is to install an SYE (slip yoke eliminator) and DC (double cardan driveshaft).
Thank you! I've googled that just about every way I could think.of and kept coming up empty.

Reactions: DrDmoney and JMT
Thank you! I've googled that just about every way I could think.of and kept coming up empty.
Oh, and if you do go with an SYE and DC, you need adjustable rear control arms to adjust your pinion angle.

Reactions: Woodrow
Welcome!
Probably to drop the transfer case and eliminate/decrease driveline vibration caused by the increased angles with the lift. An SYE kit and double cardan driveshaft are common solutions to bring the case back up and keep the vibrations down. Or you could save dollars and leave it as is if it doesn’t vibrate and you don’t need the clearance for off-roading.
I'm definitely going off road with it. Thanks for your input. I want to build it right.

I'm definitely going off road with it. Thanks for your input. I want to build it right.
200.gif

Reactions: Woodrow
Measure the springs to see how much lift it has. 12" front /8" rear are stock measurements as it sits. If it has a 2-2.5" lift, a MML will allow you to remove the t-case drop in most cases.

If I may add my 2 cents,

You can save a lot of money by not going down the SYE and DC route. Although it would be the "right way", it also is the expensive way to do it. Especially if you are just trying to get away with a moderately sized lift. I recently put on Zone's 4.25" combo lift kit on my TJ and I'm loving it. It mainly includes a 3" suspension lift, 1.25" body lift, and a 1" motor mount lift. I had driveline vibrations at stock height but solved it with putting in new U-Joints, now I'm vibe free. So if you're going for a 3" suspension lift I recommend just getting a MML instead of going with the SYE and DC route. A perk of a MML instead of a T-Case drop is that you don't have to drop your skid plate and lose clearance. This lift allows you to clear 33"x12.50" tires without having to spend money on adjustable control arms and such. The look of my Jeep actually turned better than I thought it would after the kit and tires were installed. This is just all in my recent experience so other may have other experiences with this type of lift, but I've heard others having good results from these types of lifts. IMHO it is one of the best balances between going down the 35s route and doing it properly (which requires a lot more money, time, and effort) and being significantly bigger than stock, while not having to break the bank and your back. You don't have to go Zone, but it was what I found best.

Here's a link if you are interested:
Zone Off-road 4.25" Combo Lift Kit

TL;DR:
To get decently lifted on the cheaper side get a 3" SL, 1.25" BL, and 1"MML. Vibe free (for me at least) and a pretty nice kit IMHO.

If I may add my 2 cents,

You can save a lot of money by not going down the SYE and DC route. Although it would be the "right way", it also is the expensive way to do it. Especially if you are just trying to get away with a moderately sized lift. I recently put on Zone's 4.25" combo lift kit on my TJ and I'm loving it. It mainly includes a 3" suspension lift, 1.25" body lift, and a 1" motor mount lift. I had driveline vibrations at stock height but solved it with putting in new U-Joints, now I'm vibe free. So if you're going for a 3" suspension lift I recommend just getting a MML instead of going with the SYE and DC route. A perk of a MML instead of a T-Case drop is that you don't have to drop your skid plate and lose clearance. This lift allows you to clear 33"x12.50" tires without having to spend money on adjustable control arms and such. The look of my Jeep actually turned better than I thought it would after the kit and tires were installed. This is just all in my recent experience so other may have other experiences with this type of lift, but I've heard others having good results from these types of lifts. IMHO it is one of the best balances between going down the 35s route and doing it properly (which requires a lot more money, time, and effort) and being significantly bigger than stock, while not having to break the bank and your back. You don't have to go Zone, but it was what I found best.

Here's a link if you are interested:
Zone Off-road 4.25" Combo Lift Kit

TL;DR:
To get decently lifted on the cheaper side get a 3" SL, 1.25" BL, and 1"MML. Vibe free (for me at least) and a pretty nice kit IMHO.
It doesn't always work out that way. Glad it did for you and suggesting someone try the lift before jumping into the rabbit hole with both feet is good. However, TJ's are fickle beasts and some guys with 3" of lift will need a SYE and double Carden driveshaft. That also requires adjustable control arms (rear uppers, minimum).

Reactions: SvtLdr
If you plan to eventually raise the transfer case and replace the stock skid plate with a high clearance skid, you would be money ahead biting the bullet and do the adjustable arms, SYE and DC driveshaft. You really need to decide where you want end up with your Jeep to avoid spending money twice.

Reactions: SvtLdr
Welcome!
Will this solution of the SYE and a Double Cardan Driveshaft create the opportunity of not having to do a MML & Body Lift?

Will this solution of the SYE and a Double Cardan Driveshaft create the opportunity of not having to do a MML & Body Lift?
You don’t have to do a BL and MML when you do an SYE and DC. They’re unrelated.

Reactions: DrDmoney
If you have a TJ and want to build it right this forum is the answer- there is more collective, correct TJ build knowledge here than you will find anywhere. Do not take any shops word or any general aftermarket Jeep parts manufacturer. We are TJs only and it is all here.

Reactions: Mike_H and SvtLdr
Yes - UNLESS you're heading towards a tummy tuck in the future. Another reason to plan the build start to finish.

I wonder how many "double" build threads there really are? I know I have two going cuz my plan starting out is not what I plan now. I'd hazard a guess there are more than a few...
I spent a lot of my second years’profit in the construction business replacing the tools I bought the first year that were cheap, too small, too big or just not right for the job.

You have the luxury to be patient here and get it right usually. All builds have challenges but persistence solves most problems....and with us you have the best resource possible.

Of course @Jerry Bransford and I have had to raise our rates due to Covid, but we will be fair and generous.

Last edited: