What would the ultimate TJ on 35s be?

The4bangertj

just because you can does not mean you should
Supporting Member
So I'm trying to figure out what would be the ultimate tj on 35s. No plan to go bigger tires but a plan to make it better than an off the shelf lift kit. 6in rear stretch? 12 vs 14 in coilovers ? 2.0 vs 2.5in coilovers? Stock tj width, Jk width, full width axles? Savvy mid arm and tummy tucked? I keep thinking of a 4600 ultra 4 class but with coilovers. Every time I see a build for 35s it's just 4in lift and while it works I want to see what would be better and if their would be any big challenges besides just cycling suspension a lot. Looking to get the best suspension worked around 35s for as much uptravel as the axles will give and good dampening for some desert runs but still a solid axle tj for the rocks. School me on what you know and think.

How much can you spend? I’m not really the one to answer. For me I would say,

Savvy Mid-Arm
Outboard Shocks
TT
Highline
14” Travel
Stretched to 103”

Look at some of @mrblaine’s builds.

Savvy Mid-Arm
Outboard Shocks
TT
Highline
14” Travel
Stretched to 103”

That's basically what looking at. I'm glad that I'm not far off in idea.

Reactions: D M and JMT
Price would be 10k for suspension not including axles. Steering, coilovers, and links under 10 would be great but I'd also rather spend the money if it would actually improve alot. For example 2.0 vs 2.5 in coilover. I would save the money if it was worth it.

Call up Mr Blaine, pray that he wants to work with you (don't be a douche, that helps) and write him a big check. You'll have a pretty bad ass rig on 35s.

@Chris has one. So does @Mrs Tox and @Nickgsjeep

I'm patterning my build that way...I don't think coilovers are necessary. It's tough to get more than 12" of travel without hacking a lot of the body out on a TJ, plus there is the rear driveshaft. Beyond about 5.5" of droop, it starts to bind. There are springs in the market that will handle that amount of travel. So...I don't see the need for coilovers.

Call up Mr Blaine, pray that he wants to work with you (don't be a douche, that helps) and write him a big check. You'll have a pretty bad ass rig on 35s.

@Chris has one. So does @Mrs Tox and @Nickgsjeep

I'm patterning my build that way...I don't think coilovers are necessary. It's tough to get more than 12" of travel without hacking a lot of the body out on a TJ, plus there is the rear driveshaft. Beyond about 5.5" of droop, it starts to bind. There are springs in the market that will handle that amount of travel. So...I don't see the need for coilovers.
A "small" wheelbase stretch in the back to get close to 99-100" would solve a couple problems for some and get us closer to that ultimate 35s build. So would slightly wider axles. But then why not go a bit further for 37s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tldelaney
A "small" wheelbase stretch in the back to get close to 99-100" would solve a couple problems for some and get us closer to that ultimate 35s build. So would slightly wider axles. But then why not go a bit further for 37s.
An that involves a new fuel tank and dealing with the front end? Or, can you get the 5'ish inches or so just be changing out the tank?

An that involves a new fuel tank and dealing with the front end? Or, can you get the 5'ish inches or so just be changing out the tank?
Needs lots of gas tank work. My axles are pushed out as far as the steering box and gas tank allow. That gets mine at about 95".

Savvy Mid-Arm
Outboard Shocks
TT
Highline
14” Travel
Stretched to 103”

You would have to have a very convincing case and specific circumstances to convince me to put a TJ on 35's at 103.

You would have to have a very convincing case and specific circumstances to convince me to put a TJ on 35's at 103.
What’s ideal wheelbase for 35’s? Unfortunately, mine is at 92 3/4” I may be able to get some more up front. I’m going to try today.

Reactions: JDM
I want a stopping point and a goal and honestly I think I'd be happy with 35. If 37s why not 40s? Wheelbase wise that's why I thought a 6 in stretch would ideal. But would 6 in make a real difference? I'd like to go a bit faster and that's where I'd assume the wheelbase helps. While I do see that coilovers wouldnt solve anything I'd still prob do them for a learning to build and tuning to keep playing with the keep. So how much better would let's say Chris' tj do in different stuff over a stretched and widen one?