What would you do? Vent and asking for opinion

DailyDrivenTJ

Supporting Member
Hi guys,

Just wanted to pick your brain on this issue I have.

I placed an order for JCR Rockers for my TJ I am building.

Ordered it back June 5th and I finally got it yesterday. So it took like 10 weeks to get it. With box void of packaging material with powder coated rockers ($150 option) clanking away for the entire trip making it look like they have been used already.

It is also missing installation hardware.

I bought it through Hired Gun Offroad.

Hired Gun seems to be MIA for the moment and I spoke to JCR and they are saying they can credit back the powder coat but the credit has to come from Hired.

I guess I could send the entire thing back for it to be recoated but that will probably take 10 weeks again.

So... I have been patient and was not asking for compensation. I just want to move on and install this.

I have a feeling that this refund process will be a challenge. Should I call my CC company before it is too late? Or give these companies more time to respond?

Michael

IMG_20200820_200716.jpg

IMG_20200820_200725.jpg

IMG_20200820_200714.jpg

IMG_20200820_200730.jpg

IMG_20200820_200707.jpg

If Hired Gun Offroad is not getting back to you I would definitely file a claim with your credit card company. From the pics it doesn't look used, just a crap job packaging. You would see marks in all the bolt holes if this had been previously installed.

I had the same thing from ExtremeOffroad and for a Winch plate i purchaed on Amazon. In both cases the seller credited me the cost of powdercoating rather then wanting me to send it back. JCR can probably give you a hardware pack with all your fasteners. Tell them you are posting all this on the jeep forum so it's a good chance for them to show some goodwill if they do it for free!

Yeah I’d take the credit and paint them yourself. I guess it depends on how you use them but powder coating is not something I’d opt for for sliders. (Even though both my sets are PC’d, I didn’t have a choice).

Thanks for the input guys.

@Rubi04
Now that you said it, it makes perfect sense that I should've ordered it without the powder coat. LOL.

I feel bad for Hired Gun for what took JCR 10 weeks and bad packaging. It seems like Hired is getting shafted in the middle.

Hired has dropped the JCR line up since this fiasco.

Anyways, I will give it till Tuesday then report to Amex.

Reactions: Rick Flair
File a charge back. I guarantee they'll contact you once they realize they're losing money. Tell them to pound sand when they call.

Reactions: Apparition
Sorry to hear about your order. I ordered a set of JCR sliders for my LJ earlier this year directly from JCR. They shipped in 10 days and came packed in form fitting foam with no contact between the pieces. I did order them raw since I didn't care for the powder coating they use. I had the body panels powder coated to match my paint and then spray painted the sliders since they will need occasional touch up.

Sorry to hear about your order. I ordered a set of JCR sliders for my LJ earlier this year directly from JCR. They shipped in 10 days and came packed in form fitting foam with no contact between the pieces. I did order them raw since I didn't care for the powder coating they use. I had the body panels powder coated to match my paint and then spray painted the sliders since they will need occasional touch up.

I think this speaks for JCR IF this is how they perform business.

I believe 11 weeks behind is one off slip but we will see how fast the hardware kit shows up as well as how the refund will be issued.

I have been promised that JCR will contact Hired Gun and that I will be CCed but that had not taken place yet.

Also, through the 11 weeks, there was very little communication from JCR and all the communication was deferred to Hired the whole time.

We will see how this goes, I will be calling my Amex in 2 days.

Yep, reminds me of why I never order things that come powder coated. It’s very hard to keep them nice in transit.

Oh well, lesson learned at least.

Yep, reminds me of why I never order things that come powder coated. It’s very hard to keep them nice in transit.

Try it from the other side. I despise powder coated anything when trying to build it for shipping to a customer. It has to be handled delicately from the time it is picked up until it is delivered to the customer. All that protection and handling drives the cost way up and then a tiny scratch and the customer wants to reject the part over something you didn't want to do anyway. Shipping coated parts is 100% bullshit.

Try it from the other side. I despise powder coated anything when trying to build it for shipping to a customer. It has to be handled delicately from the time it is picked up until it is delivered to the customer. All that protection and handling drives the cost way up and then a tiny scratch and the customer wants to reject the part over something you didn't want to do anyway. Shipping coated parts is 100% bullshit.

For a while JCR had stopped offering powder coating for what I believed was this very reason. Clearly they are offering it again. I think it’s a stupid thing to offer for both the business owner (for the reasons you described) and the customer.

There are so many powder coating shops around here, all I have to do is drop the parts off and they’ll have it done in a week at most. That and you and I both won’t have to worry about anything being damaged in transit.

Reactions: Rick Flair
For a while JCR had stopped offering powder coating for what I believed was this very reason. Clearly they are offering it again. I think it’s a stupid thing to offer for both the business owner (for the reasons you described) and the customer.

There are so many powder coating shops around here, all I have to do is drop the parts off and they’ll have it done in a week at most. That and you and I both won’t have to worry about anything being damaged in transit.
If your customers insist, they need to sign a waiver that small imperfections are expected and accepted.

Last edited:
You hear that @Alex01? If you’re Savvy bumper arrives with the powder coat roughed up, don’t blame me 😉

I’ll pack it good though.
It will likely get hit on a rock the first time I use it since its maden journey will be on the rubicon. Nothing a bit of black satin paint won't fix. You find that box yet 🤣

It will likely get hit on a rock the first time I use it since its maden journey will be on the rubicon. Nothing a bit of black satin paint won't fix. You find that box yet 🤣

I ordered a box. I’m going to go to UHaul and buy some of those cheap moving blankets to wrap it in so once the box gets here I can pack it nicely.

• Love
Reactions: Alex01

I hear you on this but zero packaging material? How is this even trying at all?

Given that, Fedex may have gotten lazy and pulled all the packaging out? Or package exploded and Fedex decided to repack without packaging. Or JCR didn't use packaging material at all? Whatever the case maybe, I paid for the part because they offered and I expect some sort of trying. 11 weeks doesn't seem really trying when someone else gets parts in 10 days. Besides, mrblaine, Metalcloak, and Genright took less than 3 weeks from ordering to delivery which all the orders placed this year.

Regardless, little chips here and there I would expect but this is little much more than anticipated with parts clanking around in a box.

Reactions: Chris
Stepping it up from the used kids cloths @tomtaylz got 🤣

Hey man, it’s either that or Goodwill 🤣

I hear you on this but zero packaging material? How is this even trying at all?

Given that, Fedex may have gotten lazy and pulled all the packaging out? Or package exploded and Fedex decided to repack without packaging. Or JCR didn't use packaging material at all? Whatever the case maybe, I paid for the part because they offered and I expect some sort of trying. 11 weeks doesn't seem really trying when someone else gets parts in 10 days. Besides, mrblaine, Metalcloak, and Genright took less than 3 weeks from ordering to delivery which all the orders placed this year.

Regardless, little chips here and there I would expect but this is little much more than anticipated with parts clanking around in a box.

Trust me, I feel your frustration. I just think it’s JCRs fault for even offering powder coated parts to begin with. But that’s on them to figure out of course. Your bank will take care of you either way.

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01