What years and trims of TJs had ABS?

It was an option when I bought my 2002 X but not if you get the Dana 44.

I opted for no ABS and Dana 35 but then swapped to a Dana 44 a few years later when I lifted and did 33’s. I didn’t know anything about different axles when I bought the Jeep.

Looking back, I wish I had ABS and Dana 35 since I am on 235/75R15 tires now.

my 2000 Sahara had ABS , swapped in some rubicon axles and now I no longer have abs and my brakes suck. Not sure if I need to change the proportioning valve since when I look at parts for the Tj's there does not seem to be a split when it comes to rear disc vs drum but the part number for proportioning vale changes from ABS to no ABS models. Not sure if I can use a non abs valve or just get an adjustable one from Wilwood.

My understanding is that there were none sold with Dana 44 and disc brakes. So if you got a trim or package that includes a disc Dana 44, then you won't have abs.

My drum brake Dana 35 99 Sahara had abs until I Dana 44 swapped it. My disc Dana 44 06 Unlimited Sport never had it.

My understanding is that there were none sold with Dana 44 and disc brakes. So if you got a trim or package that includes a disc Dana 44, then you won't have abs.

My drum brake Dana 35 99 Sahara had abs until I Dana 44 swapped it. My disc Dana 44 06 Unlimited Sport never had it.

To your point, my 04 X with dana 35 did not have ABS. Now has a disc brake Dana 44 from a 06 LJU.

TJ Rubicons and Rubicon Unlimited models never had ABS.

As for non-Rubicon models, some of them had it, while others didn't. It was an option, and it ill be very apparent if they have ABS by looking under the hood and seeing the ABS module right under the master cylinder.

Sitting on the tray under master cylinder? The empty tray where I mounted the ARB compressor?
That's where it would be if were there?

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Uh, here's a pretty easy way to know if you have ABS - turn you ignition to "On" and see if your ABS light comes on and then goes out - it's down at the bottom of your gauge cluster, a little to the left; j'es sayin'...

Reactions: sideproject
You're correct, ABS later became available for the rear Dana 44 too. I should have included that.
So, when I replace my rear stock Dana 35 with an ecgs D489 (non-capable ABS) do I have to do anything extra or just experience an extra light on my dash. thanks in advance. 2000 sport

So, when I replace my rear stock Dana 35 with an ecgs D489 (non-capable ABS) do I have to do anything extra or just experience an extra light on my dash. thanks in advance. 2000 sport
Nothing extra is required, your ABS system just won't work any more. Removing my '97 TJ's ABS relay turned the ABS light off after installing a non-ABS rear Dana 44 but I have read that doesn't work on later model years. I hate lights being on so personally I'd pull the instrument cluster out to pull the ABS bulb or if it's gone to LED by your model year twisting it out or cutting its connection.

Nothing extra is required, your ABS system just won't work any more. Removing my '97 TJ's ABS relay turned the ABS light off after installing a non-ABS rear Dana 44 but I have read that doesn't work on later model years. I hate lights being on so personally I'd pull the instrument cluster out to pull the ABS bulb or if it's gone to LED by your model year twisting it out or cutting its connection.

Awesome than you! I’m the same way with lights on the dash so I’ll figure out a way to get the light out for sure.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford