What's the biggest size tire I can fit with no rubbing?

Daniel Perez

Anyone know what’s the biggest tire size you can put on a stock Jeep Tj without rubbing? I don’t mind putting wheel spacers if I have to. I currently have the stock 15” aluminum rims, would I need new ones?

31x10.50R15 is the biggest that will fit without rubbing. You can mount that size tire on your stock wheels.

If you have a small amount of sidewall rubbing when the steering wheel is turned to its full lock position, you can easily take care of it with a pair of washers placed under the steering stop bolts like is explained at http://4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html

And welcome to the forum! :)

you can go a big as you please, just put your mind to it and anything is possible.
40s on a stock jeep isnt common, but do people still do it... heck yeah

31x10.50R15 is the biggest that will fit without rubbing. You can mount that size tire on your stock wheels.

If you have a small amount of sidewall rubbing when the steering wheel is turned to its full lock position, you can easily take care of it with a pair of washers placed under the steering stop bolts like is explained at http://4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html

And welcome to the forum! :)
Thanks for the help

Yep, don't go bigger than 31s on stock height, otherwise you'll have issues.

Anyone know what’s the biggest tire size you can put on a stock Jeep Tj without rubbing? I don’t mind putting wheel spacers if I have to. I currently have the stock 15” aluminum rims, would I need new ones?
I have a co-worker that has 31's on her stock TJ, it's a very good look.

I run JK 32's on a few with no issues and nothing done other than to get the right adapter thickness to keep the top of the tire off of the edge of the flare. Yes, if you take it hard to full lock in a parking lot, they will slightly rub on the control arms but I'm in control of what my vehicle does so I just turn back a small amount and it stops.

Reactions: Chris
I think this depends what you're doing with your Jeep. I could get my 31s on stock wheels with stock suspension to rub the fenders at full flex. Also, with stock backspacing on the wheels, the tire will hit the spring perch and block steering toward the drooped side of the axle at full flex.

That is at the full limit of articulation, though. If you can stay away from that, you won't have any issues.

I think this depends what you're doing with your Jeep. I could get my 31s on stock wheels with stock suspension to rub the fenders at full flex. Also, with stock backspacing on the wheels, the tire will hit the spring perch and block steering toward the drooped side of the axle at full flex.

That is at the full limit of articulation, though. If you can stay away from that, you won't have any issues.

That’s true but the bigger the tire on stock suspension, the more up travel you lose. That’s going to affect both on-road and off-road performance.

He could also fit a 33" if he wanted. Of course it would ride like shit I'm sure.