What's the easiest way to test if transfer case works?

Hotrod1967

I recently purchased a 2003 TJ Sport with the 4.0 L and a 5 speed. It is a work in progress but runs well and body is in good shape. It has a metal cloak 3.5” lift. They guy I bought it from told me the 4 wheel drive didn’t work. When I got under it I noticed the transfer case linkage was missing. It drives fine in 2wd. No grinding or whining. My hope is that they just forgot to reconnect the linkage after putting in the lift. What is the easiest way to test the transfer case? Does anyone know what linkage and adapter I need to reconnect it? I’ll take some underneath pics tomorrow.

Thanks!

8C91D071-7118-4AF6-A44C-C778F5D07B51.jpeg

6A10034F-1B91-4D6A-82BF-7630CD8C84BD.jpeg

6A5AEA09-DE43-41F6-B356-02A8640819BD.jpeg

7603FCBE-DA3F-4156-8E84-2C93175DE6ED.jpeg

There's a chance it's just missing the linkage and that's all you need to get it working (in which case, you'd be stupid not to just upgrade to a Savvy cable shifter at that point).

You can actually shift the transfer case manually by dropping the skid plate and messing with the lever coming from the case itself. You could do it while the vehicle was off, get it in 4WD (assuming it works) and then turn it on and take it for a quick spin down the street (slowly) to make sure it works.

Lights on the dash should light up to tell you if it's in 4WD as well.

Reactions: billiebob
Thanks for the advice. Do the wheels need to be free to shift it by hand? If it hasn’t been shifted for a while how much torque would you expect it to take? I like the cable idea.

Thanks
Scott

I'm sure that a Savvy cable is very nice, but I doubt it shifts $180 better than a stock linkage. You could probably get free stock linkage for shipping cost from someone on here. Jeeps absorb a lot of money if you are not careful. Prioritize what you want and what you need.

Jeep wheels do not need to be off the ground to shift the linkage by hand. You should be able to do it without dropping the TCase. I installed the Savvy cable shifter with the TCase on. If you don’t have a body lift, you could just find a stock linkage. They’re clumsy, but work. Savvy is better, of course. The TCase probably works fine. I hope so for your sake

I'm sure that a Savvy cable is very nice, but I doubt it shifts $180 better than a stock linkage. You could probably get free stock linkage for shipping cost from someone on here. Jeeps absorb a lot of money if you are not careful. Prioritize what you want and what you need.
Eh I’d say it’s about $150 better than the stock one, you’re right maybe not $180

Reactions: Flivver250
Thanks for the advice. Do the wheels need to be free to shift it by hand? If it hasn’t been shifted for a while how much torque would you expect it to take? I like the cable idea.

Try it parked, it can take a bit. It's a short lever and a clunky movement. If it feels like it's trying but won't quite go, roll the jeep forward or back a few inches and try again.

Transfer case update. I put it on a flat surface, blocked the wheels loosely and tried to shift it by hand. This time it popped into 4 high no problem. Took it around the block and worked flawlessly. Gonna order that linkage cable. Thanks guys!

AE377F84-9BC0-4934-BA9B-3A1E0AB3C878.jpeg

6E35B95E-962A-42A5-92D8-A4E61C4F1929.jpeg

6E635409-7194-4C20-912F-EA608F417366.jpeg

A85FEC92-0D33-491C-97B0-A26DA978BEA6.jpeg

A7B6ABA2-7271-4B9E-BF15-24D688493899.jpeg

Reactions: D M
I bought this Jeep with a 3.5” metalcloak lift. It doesn’t look like my transfer case linkage brackets have been dropped. Can any of you guys tell from my pics above if the stock linkage would still fit?

I have the Novak cable shifter.
Absolutely one of the best things I've installed. If you have a lift, (or even if you don't), the cable shifter is far superior to the stock linkage IMO.

I have no experience or opinion on the other brands of cable shifters - but I imagine they're all better than the stock linkage.
Pulling the lever and having it work the 1st time is so much better than the multiple attempt fussing with the stock linkage.
You're already halfway done the install with the stock linkage out. I'd bit the bullet and install a cable shifter.

Last edited: