What's the noise and is P0153 related?

MyFirstJeep

Supporting Member
Hello TJ'ers,
Bought the 2005 4.0 Sport three weeks ago. Darn near perfect in every way. A week ago, strange metal spinning on metal sounds emerge underneath. The pitch of it changes when sitting at idle, in neutral and clutch depressed. When driving, I can hear the sound as well, regardless of gearing. Continued occurrence for a few days. Then one day CEL comes on. Hook up to OBDII and it's P0153 (2,1). Couple days later, I change the oil to Pennzoil Platinum 10w30. Sound goes away for one day. Quiet running. Then last night the same sound underneath re-emerges but then the CEL goes away. Strange.
I'm guessing the sounds are either input bearing or TOB or something do with clutch interface? I have all four NGK/NTK O2 sensors, new in box, ready to install in case the CEL returns.
What would y'all do in this situation?
Thanks,
Bryce

Last edited:
I don't hear anything on the video. But after 40 plus years of power tools and a year in Afghanistan...my wife had to tell me the AC clutch was out on my Jeep.

Sound going away on oil change makes me think OBDA...no experience with that, I have a 97. Pure guess.

Could also be the throwout bearing. Probably that since the clutch pedal has to be depressed. Not a hard thing to do on these Jeeps. Get a Luk kit off Amazon.

-Mac

I would guess throw out bearing.

Also check the crank pulley. When they start to come apart, they can rub the timing cover.

Got more videos. Just changed the spark plugs. Engine pulls like a stallion. Weird whirring sounds at the bell housing continue