What's Your Favorite Wax?

My process:
1). Hand wash with clean mitt followed immediately with the new style, rubber "clay bar" alternative block, using a dawn dishsoap solution;
2). Freshwater rinse and dry. Get the vehicle out of the sun.
3). Machine apply full coat of Blackfire One Step Total Polish and Seal.
4). Wipe down with Rubbing alcohol.
5). two coats of Blackfire Crystal Seal paint sealant.

I do this right away for new vehicles and no more than once per year. Washing regularly with a light spray wax application once every three months.

Reactions: JMT
I'd never use another wax again as long as I live.

Wax is an old, outdated way of detailing.

Polymers are much better, no mess at all, and if you talk to most of the modern detail professionals, you'll find that's all they use.

I can't recommend this stuff enough:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KGMHJKS/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Chris how often do you need to apply this stuff? I really don't need anymore car detailing stuff with the tons of Chemical guys stuff I have, but I am getting tired of spending 8 hours per car.

Chris how often do you need to apply this stuff? I really don't need anymore car detailing stuff with the tons of Chemical guys stuff I have, but I am getting tired of spending 8 hours per car.

I used it after every wash. It takes maybe 15 minutes tops to apply to the whole vehicle, probably less.

Unlike wax, you don't have to worry about getting it on trim pieces or anything. You rub it on, let it dry, and that's it.

It takes about 30 minus after drying for the full effect to kick in, but once it does, it's very noticeable.

I heard about this stuff from a very reputable local detailer who used it on my car. It really is the shit!

I definitely don't miss spending hours or more waxing and detailing my vehicles, that's for sure.

Reactions: TJ Starting
As basic an answer as I can give is use any reputable wax/polish/compound/polymer you want and just do it a couple times a year and you’ll be fine. Taking your time a couple times a year and you can go over your Jeep with your own eyes and keep a tab on any potential problem spots visually and mechanically. I personally like the the Meguiars line of detailing stuff but am not in bed with them so I use whatever I like when the time comes to buff and wax.

However, I also steal car washes from the local Mazda dealer because them lazy bitches haven’t changed their free car wash code in three years so I may not be a good resource due to lack of good moral judgement.

I use Mothers wax on mostly everything, but I use Zaino on the old cars.

I usually clay bar the vehicle first, then hit it with some Maguires 205 on a foam pad (I'll use 105 first if the paint is beat), then finish with wax applied by hand. The paint feels like glass when I'm done.

Reactions: TJ Starting

I bought some of this stuff, and it is definitely is easy to apply. I did my Jeep LJ and Ford Super Duty crew cab with 6 1/2' bed, including door jams and bumpers. It only took 30 minutes for both.

Historically, I've been a 3 coat (paint cleaner, polisher, and wax) type of guy, applied with an orbital buffer. The last time I did my truck with painted fiberglass cap, it took 6-8 hours spread over 3 days.

Plus it has a nice fruity smell.

Currently, I am using Turtle Wax black box kit. It is included as a pre-wax cleaner, carnauba wax, spray detailer, and applicator pads. This pre-wax cleaner effectively removes scratches and swirl marks. And, the carnauba wax presents a deep and glossy shine. Moreover, it is very protective against UV rays.

Reactions: WLDRIDE
My show cars has gotten meguiers, that’s what the Jeep got to. Picked up there new ceramic coat liquid want to try on the Jeep, see if i want to Use it on the nice car. This pig snot seems interesting to.

Here's a full synthetic polymer sealant that replaces waxes polishes & sealants. It works at the nano level (not that I can see it). It takes a fraction of the time compared to the old school way of waxing and none of the downsides like getting paste on plastics. The cool thing about the polymer products like this are, you can use it on your exterior or interior paint, glass, plastics, chrome, rims, fiberglass, etc. You spray a small amount on and a quick buff with microfiber cloth and viola, magic!

I'll never go back to any kind of paste wax!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5KQSKF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Made in USA!

Here's a full synthetic polymer sealant that replaces waxes polishes & sealants. It works at the nano level (not that I can see it). It takes a fraction of the time compared to the old school way of waxing and none of the downsides like getting paste on plastics. The cool thing about the polymer products like this are, you can use it on your exterior or interior paint, glass, plastics, chrome, rims, fiberglass, etc. You spray a small amount on and a quick buff with microfiber cloth and viola, magic!

I'll never go back to any kind of paste wax!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5KQSKF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Made in USA!
Interesting, I might try that. Probably need to compound and polish anyway. I’ve been toying with the idea of a at home ceramic coat, but I need a week of shade and no rain to do that, doesn’t seem very likely.

I've used Meguiars since the late 1960's, at first because Meguairs sold the best products available to the consumer at the time and in later years primarily because I kept running into Barry Meguiar on weekend mornings and we would talk cars for a minute or two before going on our respective ways. Now when I buy Meguairs it feels like I'm buying from someone I know even though I really don't know Barry Meguair well enough to say much more than 'hello' and even though the Meguiar family sold the company to 3M in 2008. Still, I'll probably keep buying it.

But back to car wax -

The primary reason I am still using the old skool process of wash-clay-compound-buff-wax-buff is desert pinstriping. It takes polishing compound to remove the scratches and a few coats of carnauba wax acts as a sacrificial barrier that keeps many/most of the minor scratches in the wax and not through to the clear coat. I'm not persuaded that the wipe on, wipe off "nano technology" products do much more than create shine by sealing the paint but admittedly I have not investigated whether or not these products create any sort of hard barrier against minor scratches.

Of course no wax or coating can prevent desert pinstriping and the sharpest branches with the deepest thorns will always do paint damage.

No wax here, I ceramic coat everything I own. Ill never wax a car again honestly. And Im not talking spray on sealants which are worthless, I do real ceramic coating like Cquartz.

If you really want a spray sealant, Sonax spray and seal is pretty damn good