What's your opinion on drilling drain holes in the frame?

I spend quite a bit of time driving on the beach here in NC. (OBX) When I get back from the beach it is a pretty big ordeal to get the sand out of the frame. My frame is still in good shape and I would like to keep it that way. Would it be a bad idea to put some tape over the holes in the frame to keep the sand out just while driving on the beach?
Also, what is y'alls opinion of drilling drain holes in the frame? I see a lot of mixed reviews of weather you should or shouldn't drill holes. Thanks.

Funny about this, I just took pictures of my drain holes this morning for @RHP61.
It's amazing how much shit you can't get out w/ a pressure washer, and where it decides to settle.
They are 19mm BTW:

Front_drain.jpg

Rear_drain.jpg

Choice is yours 🍻

I do much of what was said here. Thanks for the help. I have not used the pressure washer attachment but I park on an incline and put the water hose in the front frame hole and wash the sand to the back hole. Then I vacuum it out the best I can. Holes in the frame would make getting the sand out a lot easier but I was reluctant to drill some because I read that some people claim that when a hole is drilled in the bottom it "Sacrifices the integrity of the frame". Is there a specific size that the holes should be?

I did as scottgraham did.I made my own safety caps 3 years ago when I got my 2000 tj.It was my first jeep.The frame was bad and soft in the bottom.I cut it out and when I made my lower safety caps I put 3/4" holes 4" from each end.I also put 1/2" holes at the lowest points between the skid plate.I Know it is everyones choice but if you have ever seen the inside of a frame from the northeast you would puke.It took some really great engineering from Chrysler to put upper holes to let water,sand,mud and grime in and noway to get it out.Really,really smart.When I get my next one it will be from the southeast and I will pay a premium price.Then I will drill holes again.I use a lot of fluid film in mine and have not driven it in the winter since I got it.As I said it is everyones choice.

Plugging the large holes in the outer rail will keep out the majority of sand and debris. For the smaller holes, electrical tape works well. Unless you submerge the frame, don’t worry about the holes in the inner frame rail.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TZ7C8RC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I pulled my frame plugs a couple of weeks ago and the inside of the frame still looks new, and this is after daily driving through 8 Minnesota winters.

If you’re going to put water inside the frame, you need to also have a way to get it out - in addition to drain holes, you’ll need compressed air.

I installed these plugs in my frame. The holes that they fill were a direct path for crap from the rear wheels into the frame. I added drain holes on the bottom. These seem to be working. I see no build up of crap inside the frame.

Drain holes are a must. The moisture needs to get out. You also need to have a drain in order to flush sand, mud, debris, salt, etc out. A hole in the frame will not sacrifice integrity. A frame rusting from the inside out will sacrifice integrity. I truly believe drain holes were left out on purpose so Chrysler could sell more Jeeps. In my area this is the number one death sentence of our TJ's.

This is what happens if you dont out drain holes. Look at the pictures with rust on the frame. I found out the hard way while at TJfest, I cracked the RR lower control arm mounting location because nothing was left.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/carnage-thread.50117/page-2
I almost found a perfect LJ replacement frame (8/10) last week. I cleaned it up, POR15 inside the frame and rest assured that I will be drilling the drain holes in this bitch for sure.

https://wranglertjforum.com/conversations/2006-lj-frame.92905/#convMessage-183335

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I just drilled mine last week! Inside not bad at all, no detectable rust, but I flushed out some sand and fine gravel. I also plugged the 4 largest holes in the side of the frame by the tires with "CAPLUGS" per another member here. Easily removed if you need to flush through those holes.

So when you're driving around in snow/salted roads, do you have a chance to drive 10 minutes on non-snow/salted pristine roads to clear the frame? Here in areas it snows, we're parking our TJs with crap in the frame and no way to get it out without drilling holes.
A bit off topic for the thread, but I don't believe that driving on unsalted roads for a bit would be effective. Even if you use those ten minutes to "dry off" the undercarriage, you are still going to have salt residues left behind unless you rinse it off with clean water.
Ultimately if you are driving in the salt no amount of rinsing or drying is going to save you. Using a protectant like POR-15 or fluid film is going to be the only way to prevent major rusting. Even then, we are never actually "preventing" rust, we are just postponing it.

I spend quite a bit of time driving on the beach here in NC. (OBX) When I get back from the beach it is a pretty big ordeal to get the sand out of the frame. My frame is still in good shape and I would like to keep it that way. Would it be a bad idea to put some tape over the holes in the frame to keep the sand out just while driving on the beach?
Also, what is y'alls opinion of drilling drain holes in the frame? I see a lot of mixed reviews of weather you should or shouldn't drill holes. Thanks.
Not a bad idea at all. Tape them up while on the beach. That will make it easier to clean out later.

Drill 5/8” drain holes about 3-4” behind the front control arms brackets. Absolutely!

I just drilled mine last week! Inside not bad at all, no detectable rust, but I flushed out some sand and fine gravel. I also plugged the 4 largest holes in the side of the frame by the tires with "CAPLUGS" per another member here. Easily removed if you need to flush through those holes.
i found the round plugs, but i cant find plugs fot the elongated holes

Timely topic as I just got my first tj. I'm thinking the big issue is crud (mud/sand/etc) building up and trapping water, promoting rust. If the frame was clean water would run around an evaporate. So if the point it to get dirt out a larger hole is better. I'll go with 3/4.

Reactions: Zorba
The very rear of my Jeep's frame has the most rust. I've been cleaning it up and prepping it to install a set of bumper braces. While I was there...

DSC00771.JPG

Rear cross member with bumper removed...

DSC00772.JPG

New 1/2" drain hole drilled. You can see the crap inside. This lets me flush it - and will let it drain in the future. Not much can pool here, but a little bit can with the results you can see - especially if the Jeep is parked in a nose up orientation. It rusted the bottom rear bumper bolts badly - as well rusting the forward stock recovery hook bolt/nut to the point that I spun the nut getting it off and had to grind the head off. Letting this drain should mitigate this, plus give access for painting/treating/whatevering that area.