What's your strangest trail encounter?

My girlfriend and I were going down a moderate trail nearby that ends up at a creek crossing. It's nothing crazy but it's got some long, steep spots and you have to have a good bit of ground clearance. Some of the inclines go for 1/4 or 1/2 mile at a time. It's the kind of trail that you can't really afford to stop on or you'd have to try to back/slide down and try again. My girlfriend had joked earlier about people getting stuck because they try to take their crappy Neons and Cavaliers down it to go fishing. As we were coming back up, sure as shit an emerald green Dodge Neon with mismatched panels passed us. A stringy haired, redneck kinda dude with no shirt on at the helm. We found some cows to pet down the road and ended up see him come out of the trail a bit later. Damnedest thing I've seen on the trail haha.

Reactions: TJ Starting and JMT
In 2016 my wife and I did the Alpine Loop. We spent the night in Ouray and walked around town. I picked up one of the freebie tourist newspapers and skimmed through it. I saw that the next day was the start of something called "Sheep Days" on Engineer Pass, then promptly forgot about it, until...

We're on top of the pass the next day admiring the view, and then... what the hell is that sound? Turns out it was a whole bunch of sheep baa-ing in the valley below:

View attachment 190453

Once we got down there, they really had no interest in moving off the road.

View attachment 190454

We also saw this guy that day near Animas Forks. Maybe he was on his way up to herd the sheep.

View attachment 190455
We were up at rim rock back in the late 80’s and ran into a decent sized group of old sand rails like that. All had winches and were all using them a lot. This group was getting hi-centered on everything, and couldn’t make any of the climbs but looked like they were having fun doing rev limiter assaults everywhere

Reactions: JMT